Fan Siu Wong

AlbertV

KungFuJungle+2014-16-b.jpg

Louis Fan has been in the film industry for many years now. While his breakout role was Story of Ricky in 1991, he actually made his film debut at the age of five in the film Amsterdam Connection. Louis' father, Fan Mei-Sheng, was a veteran actor in many kung fu films. When his father saw his son to be a skinny lad, he had the young teen begin training in martial arts at the age of 14, after his role in Above the Law (Righting Wrongs). In 1988, he appeared in the wushu documentary Dragons of the Orient, where he was credited as "Terry Fan". 

In the 90's after Story of Ricky, Fan appeared in Project S and Organized Crime and Triad Bureau. He would soon become a major player in many straight-to-video films in Hong Kong from the late 90's and early 2000's. He starred in Shadow Mask, a rip-off of the Black Mask series (interesting enough Mainland China called the film Black Mask III at one point) and was in DTV films such as Power KingThe Boxing KingDNA Clone, and The Story of Freemen to name a few. 

Perhaps the role he is known for today is Northern style kicker Jin Shanzhao, who starts out as a rival of Donnie Yen's Wing Chun grandmaster Ip Man but later plays an ally in the second film. Louis has even done some action choreography for two films, 2009's Kung Fu Fighter with Vanness Wu and 2011's Shadowguard starring Phoenix Valen and Michael Biehn. 

Fan has two children from a previous relationship and after a 3-year courtship, married actress JJ Jia of Cold War and the 2011 reboot of All's Well Ends Well on January 1, 2016. 

Fan's most recent role was that of Hung Yip in Donnie Yen's Kung Fu Jungle/Kung Fu Killer.

http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=6213&display_set=eng

(Hong Kong Movie Database page)

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 5

Now that I'm much more knowledgable with martial arts films and familiar with Fan in particular, I need to revisit Ip Man. I didn't know of him when I watched the movie, now I need to see this again.

I loved seeing him in Kung Fu Killer shortly after seeing Death Games for the first time.. Which is probably my favorite 90s martial arts movie that I've seen. (I'm admittedly lacking in what I've seen of that era though)

Thanks for these posts Al. I don't know if these people have wiki pages, but if not you should make them one. 

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 5

Fan Siu-Wong practically rose to Donnie Yen-like heights of martial bad-assery in The Death Games. He really did it all in that movie; wushu, tae kwon do, weapons, etc.. I lament that the other films I've seen him in didn't make as much use of his skills, like The Butterfly Lovers (he gets a short, but solid Eagle Claw fight) and Kung Fu Chef. I need to see Stone Age Warriors, which was directed and choreographed by Stanley Tong and looks to have some great action in it.

• Like 6

• Administrator

Now that I'm much more knowledgable with martial arts films and familiar with Fan in particular, I need to revisit Ip Man. I didn't know of him when I watched the movie, now I need to see this again. 

He seemed like he should've been a star from the moment I saw him as an adult in STORY OF RIKKI, but it never quite happened the way I thought it would.

I was very happy to see him get such a good role in IP MAN. He finally got to show off his martial arts skills properly, plus he was perfectly cast as that fiery character too.

I loved seeing him in Kung Fu Killer shortly after seeing Death Games for the first time.. Which is probably my favorite 90s martial arts movie that I've seen. (I'm admittedly lacking in what I've seen of that era though)

Say what now?

Fan Siu-Wong practically rose to Donnie Yen-like heights of martial bad-assery in The Death Games. He really did it all in that movie; wushu, tae kwon do, weapons, etc.. I lament that the other films I've seen him in didn't make as much use of his skills, like The Butterfly Lovers (he gets a short, but solid Eagle Claw fight) and Kung Fu Chef.

Somehow I've never even heard of THE DEATH GAMES. Sounds terrific though, so I'll be seeking it out.

I picked up KUNG FU CHEF when it first came out (Sammo equals 'must buy' for me), but I have continuously put off watching it. Is there actually a decent amount of action in it?

I need to see Stone Age Warriors, which was directed and choreographed by Stanley Tong and looks to have some great action in it.

This is a bizarre film, totally off the beaten path. After seeing POLICE STORY III in the theater, and reading the premise, I immediately sought this film out. It wasn't easy to find at the time, and I think I may have let my expectations build up too high. Not nearly as good as I thought it would be, but still very entertaining, and with an imaginative, and high-energy spirit none-the-less. Definitely worth seeing.

• Like 4

I guess I didn't word that well. I watched Death Games like a week before I saw Kung Fu Jungle/Killer. I wasn't familiar with him, (I actually didn't know about him..) before Death Games, so it was cool to unexpectedly see him in Kung Fu Killer...and still kicking major ass at that!

Its weird I didn't look him up after seeing Ip Man, I guess I only focused on Donnie Yen at the time. I had rarely seen any modern martial arts movies when I first watched Ip Man.

I still haven't seen The Story of Riki, but I feel like I need to see it. Even if Death Games was all I ever saw of him, I'd consider him a favorite of mine, haha.

• Like 2

Kung Fu Chef has about two or three major fight sequences, one being Vanness Wu vs. Fan and his goons, and the last one being Sammo Hung vs. Fan and his goons (Fan wields a katana in the fight). Yuen Cheung-Yan and Yuen Shun-Yee directed the fights. It's mildly entertaining fluff in the end.

• Like 2

Somehow I've never even heard of

THE DEATH GAMES

. Sounds terrific though, so I'll be seeking it out.

You definitely will want to see it Bob. Fan takes on Kim-Maree Penn (who plays a sympathetic fighter working for the bad guys), Collin Chou (who pulls off an effeminate Japanese warrior), and Billy Chau. I was somewhat disappointed in the final fight of the film at first, but I will have to watch it again as I have a VHS copy at home.

TheDeathGames+1997-44-b.jpg

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Was the final fight against a white guy? If so, I too remember being underwhelmed by it. It wasn't a horrible fight, but after the top class fights that filled the rest of the film I was expecting serious fireworks at the end.

• Like 1

I considered the last fight to be a "warm-down" fight, with the Collin Chou duel being the real climax. To me it's like Sammo and Yuen Biao vs. Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee at the end of Millionaire's Express. The fireworks are over, but we'll give you one last fight to tide you over. 

• Like 5

A little trivia on The Death Games: The film would be one of the last times Collin Chou used his "Ngai Sing" moniker as he began to use his real name in late 1997. 

I have seen some of Fan's DTV flicks, and I have to admit, I have a soft spot for Shadow Mask. Cheng Pei-Pei was the main villain with Philip Ko and Lily Chung as her underlings.

• Like 2

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 6:19 PM, AlbertV said:

Louis has even done some action choreography for two films, 2009's Kung Fu Fighter with Vanness Wu

Did anyone ever see this and was it any good?

• Like 2

On 3/2/2017 at 8:47 AM, DrNgor said:

Did anyone ever see this and was it any good?

Here's a fight scene from the film. Louis was not only the fight choreographer, he was the main villain as well:

• Like 4

On 9/19/2020 at 5:50 AM, DrNgor said:

What would be Fan's best TV series for no-frills (or low-frills) martial arts action?

fist of power 1993, he  gets to show his full range in this one also stars moon lee  and wang lung wei

• Like 4

I discovered him in Righting wrings and I loved him ! I took alook at his hkmdb page and then realized that I already saw him in on of the My Way films related to The Real Iron Monkey series.

Here is the clip where he does a live demo (Hung Gar and drunken style if I'm not mistaken). Thanks to my facebook friend who gave me the two clips I show today.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
44 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I swear that when I created my topic about him, I carefully searched the list of actors in the thread and didn't see him !! 

All good, his thread was under the name Louis Fan, but agree he's more popularly known as Fan Siu Wong!

• Like 3