Kung Fu Archetypes

Koravec

What are the kung fu archetypes and what can we say about them. 

The old man drunkard/beggar character (ole dirty) 

the silver fox (often evil)

obviously the trainee (36 chambers, drunken master)

old master

sometimes the effeminate character. Whats up with this one? Just a comic relief and nothing more?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Koravec said:

sometimes the effeminate character. Whats up with this one? Just a comic relief and nothing more?

I wouldn't say that for all the movies. Wang Kuan Yu's effeminate character in Knockabout is a fierce fighter and doesn't have a comic role.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I wouldn't say that for all the movies. Wang Kuan Yu's effeminate character in Knockabout is a fierce fighter and doesn't have a comic role.

In 18 Bronzemen theres one as one of the challenge rooms. I geuss theyre often powerful fighters to an extent. I was just watching a cheap fu called horror holiday, and there was one who was with the bad gangsters, made me bring the question to light again.

edit: oh I meant to say In 18 Bronzemen or one of the sequels to it. left that part out @ShawAngela

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Koravec said:

In 18 Bronzemen theres one as one of the challenge rooms. I geuss theyre often powerful fighters to an extent. I was just watching a cheap fu called horror holiday, and there was one who was with the bad gangsters, made me bring the question to light again.

Wei Ping Ao's roles in Bruce Lee's movies could fit your description as the comic relief with no fighting skills...:)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Koravec said:

I don't remember that in 18 bronzemen, I'll have to rewatch it again !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Koravec said:

Sun Jian-Kui's character in Kids from Shaolin was a little effeminate IIRC. Didn't he fight a little bit?

• Like 2

The Arrogant and naive youth.

A youngster who's often good at kung fu and usually flaunts their skills, the arrogant aspect, then later on gets into some trouble or finds out their kung fu isn't as good as they think, the naive aspect.

Examples include the portrayals of Fang Shih Yu by Fu Sheng and Hsiao Ho, the way Yuen Biao portrayed Leung Chang in The Prodigal Son and Jackie Chan's portrayal of Freddy/Wong Fei Hung in Drunken Master.

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude

The corrupt public official proficient in some deadly kung fu style.

The group of rebels who have a list of their group membership that everybody wants. (Probably shouldn't write stuff like that down.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

The group of rebels who have a list of their group membership that everybody wants. (Probably shouldn't write stuff like that down.)

That sort of list is probably an apparatus for trapping lions in the Scottish Highlands groups of rebels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Japanese villains' chief wearing a moustache ala Hitler.

The bad guys bullying a seemingly defenless girl and who are mesmerized when she kicks and punches them.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

The guy from elsewhere who wears precious clothing and walks around with his hands folded behind his back. He's hired by the rich bad guy to kill the good guy with his superior kung fu. He's often played by Hwang Jang Lee.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

The little boy who helps the hero but is incredibly annoying, so we curse him. Later he gets killed by the bad guys and we feel bad.

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude
On 12/25/2022 at 4:16 AM, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

The little boy who helps the hero but is incredibly annoying, so we curse him. Later he gets killed by the bad guys and we feel bad.

We do? Wait...you mean I'm supposed to? Sigh. Now I have to rewatch a bunch of movies. I've apparently been doing it wrong.

• Haha 5

One Armed Boxer

The female character that literally everyone thinks is a guy just by wearing male clothing.  (I'd originally planned to include some examples, then realised there's literally too many to narrow down)

• Like 4

On 12/23/2022 at 3:56 PM, ShawAngela said:

The Japanese villains' chief wearing a moustache ala Hitler.

Always wondered if the conflicts between the two countries in the past were the reason why Japanese are portrayed this way in kung fu movies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Always wondered if the conflicts between the two countries in the past were the reason why Japanese are portrayed this way in kung fu movies.

No doubt, for me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Not to mention Japan's WWII alliance with Nazi Germany ( I've seen some bald Japanese villains , as well - Mussolini analogues ? )

• Like 1