List Your Top Five Shaw Movie must have

Guest QUANMAY34

1- Killer Constable

2- Avenging Eagle

3- Shaolin Intruders

4- 8 Diagram Pole Fighter

5- Shaolin Mantis

Tough choice. If it was a top 10 list I would also include 36th Chamber, Return to the 36th Chamber, Heroes of the East, Dirty Ho, and Super Ninjas.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest angryguest

1. Avenging Eagle

2. Five Venoms

3. The Duel

4. Blood Brothers

5. Savage Five

-----------------------------------------

If it were a top 10 list, the followings would be included:

6. Boxer From Shantung

7. Five Shaolin Masters

8. Shaolin Prince

9. New One Armed Swordsman

10. Sentimental Swordsman

Guest QUANMAY34

Thanks guys, I was able to make my point of

36th chamber

cripple avengers

blood brothers

eight pole diagram

return of the 36th chamber

were going to be on everyone list at least 3 out of the 5 listed.

I have all five but working on getting the best top 10 - 20 of Shaw movies.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Human Lanterns

Delightful Forest

Have Sword Will Travel

The New One-Armed Swordsman

Avenging Eagle

honorable mention:

The Duel

Vengeance

Shaolin Mantis

Bloody Parrot

Black Butterfly

Guest justkungfuman

1.To Kill A Mastermind

2. My Young Auntie

3. Super Ninjas

4. Five Deadly Venom's

5. Executioner's From Shaolin

Honorable Mention

1. House Of Traps

2. The Master

3. Masked Avengers

4. Avenging Eagle

5. King Boxer

It's hard when you have so many favorite's

Guest Karlos

Boy, what a toughie! :D

For now, it's probably:

1) Seven Man army - unmatchable!!

2) 8 Diagram Pole Fighter - most haunting, atmospheric Shaws ever? Fu Sheng breaks my heart every time

3) The Duel - most hardcore SB film I've seen for a while. I wouldn't call testosterone fuelled, but watching this made me grow a third ball

4) HK Godfathers - what a classic! 80's fashions and choppers collide in this blood soaked masterwork

and finally...

5) Mad Monkey Kung Fu - truly love this one; everything about it is spot-on, and Hsiao Ho OWNS this!!

I'll probably change my mind in 10 mins! :D

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns
5) Mad Monkey Kung Fu - truly love this one; everything about it is spot-on, and Hsiao Ho OWNS this!!

Hsiao ho, is that Liu Chia Liang's pupil in the film? The other madman doing his own stunts an such? Who helps exact revenge upon Lo Lieh's gang?

Guest Karlos

You are indeed correct, Vengeanceofhumanlanterns; Hsiao Ho is the immensely gifted pupil to Lau Gar Leung in that film.

He was a GREAT acrobat - anyone know what he's up to nowadays??

Honestly, watching it, I wondered how he wasn't a much bigger star than he was (I thought much the same after seeing Yuen Tak in The Master.)

As for The Duel - wow!!! :eek

INCREDIBLY violent and just bursting with energy and cool moments. A MUST SEE!!! :D

Guest jmungus

not gonna list my top 5 (couldnt decide anyhoo, some of the titles below may very well be top 5 candidates), but 5 must-haves that havent been mentioned yet:

shaolin prince:

imo tong gaai`s best. crazy action, crazy characters, many various cool locales, a true rollercoaster ride that spells B.I.G. F.U.N.

rendezvous with death:

so much substance and skills packed into the movies`simple but well conceived storyline, its truly amazing.

every action scene is a highlight, even without sporting the very best of choreos or longest fights around.

clearly the brother to sun chungs masterpiece avenging eagle, very similar in many regards.

lady assassin:

if u dont mind undercranked fights, this will deliver the truth in spades.

one of THE hottest actioners shaw has to offer.

monkey kf:

if it comes to acrobatic gung fuN actioners, this has been one of my faves for around 2 decades now.

up there with any other ace kf flick sporting goofy, zany antics galore (incl. GH`s and indie 'kf comedy' productions).

bastard swordsman:

could think of some wicked swashbucklers, a few of LKL`s, and a couple of chu yuan`s in particular now, but i ll go with this super-fun caper that is lighthearted entertainment in general, but doesnt miss some depth and seriousness when the plot requires it.

stuff like shaolin prince may carry the fusion of wuxia and classic gung fu to the extremes, but BS takes a similar approach and succeeds to the fullest. very solid story, good acting, charming, genuine, nice battles (heavily wire-assisted; ....... which reminds me- one of mankinds best undercranked wire-fu old skoolies nobody should sleep on: long road to gallantry! its frakkin on!!! just. plain. wicked!!!!!!)

Guest TambaChibaYama  IchiFune
Honestly, watching it, I wondered how he wasn't a much bigger star than he was (I thought much the same after seeing Yuen Tak in The Master.)

I totally agree with that. I thought the same thing after i watched The Master.

Guest pressureworld

1) The Delinquent

2) The Blood Brothers

3) Excutioners from Shaolin

4) 8 Diagram Pole fighter

5) Chinese Super Ninja

Hsiao Hou and Yuen Tak are the most UNDERRATED martial artists ever! I mean Hsiao Hou was a beast in Disciples of 36th Chamber. He definitely surprised me on that one. Yuen Tak should have made it big since most of his Seven Fortune Brothers such as Jackie, Sammo, Yuen Biao, Corey Yuen, and even Yuen Wah have had some type of acclaim in martial arts movies. Before I saw Young Auntie, I told myself that, "Wow, if these two fought they would definitely produce some magic..." luckily they did in Young Auntie. Unfortunately it felt more like a tease of something that could have been beyond spectacular if it was just taken a little further... *sighs*. Oh well if you want to see the 2 in action in later years you can catch a glimpse of Hsiao Hou as one of the black costumed bandits in Iron Monkey against Yu Rong Guang and Yuen Tak is the super cool badass in Corey Yuen's Hero feat. Takeshi Kaneshiro and Yuen Biao.

One final note, there is one martial arts star on the come up that I'm keeping my eye on, his name is Philip Ng and he has a role in the television series Wing Chun. Watch out for him!

Guest Karlos

It would have a dream to see Yuen Tak & Hsiou Ho go at it in MYA - as you say, what could have been...! :(

I saw Hero very recently and had to do a double-take when I realised that the baddie was indeed Yuen Tak!!! :eek

I thought he gave an impressive performance; in fact, for me, he was the best thing in it!

Before that, I hadn't seen him since the HK film awards back in the '90s, where he looked EXACTLY the same as he did in The Master.

Philip Ng I'm not yet familiar with but I shall certainly keep an eye out!!

:D

8 Diagram Pole Fighter

Legendary Weapons of China

Human Lanterns

Crippled Avengers

Whew, Bells of Death or Tiger Killer or 5 Venoms or The Delinquent or...

May have changed a bit from a few years ago.

1)To Kill A Mastermind...want remeastered but more than likely will sit in the vaults at Celestial

2)Gangmaster...great action from beginning to end

3)Lady Assassin...Norman Tsui always kicks butt

4)Vengeance...a David Chiang classic

5)Shaolin Intruders...Derek Yee and Pai Paio teamup

King Boxer

The Water Margin

Five Venoms

Boxer From Shangtung

36TH Chamber of Shaolin

This list doesn't mean I feel they're Shaws best or anything... In fact, if you ask a month from now the only one that would appear each time for me would be King Boxer. This is a film i'm crazy about because it's my first view Kung Fu flick.

I haven't posted in a couple of years. It's good to see the way the message board has advanced.

1. Delightful Forest (I just bought this a week ago. I think it's my new favorite.)

2. Five Shaolin Masters

3. Avenging Eagle

4. Human Lanterns

5. Crippled Avengers

Archived