Looking Back on 30 Years of Hong Kong Cinema info

BornToDefense

Question

BornToDefense

Years ago I ended up with a copy of this book. The title, 回顾香港电影三十年, shows on google translate as "Looking Back on 30 Years of Hong Kong Cinema" and the author is none other than Chang Cheh. I've had this sitting on my shelf for a long time (I can't read a word of it unfortunately) and I was wondering if anyone on this forum has any familiarity with it or info on it. I'm assuming it's some of his film criticism, but again I can't really tell. It's got some cool pictures though.

Has anyone here read this?

• Like 3

5 answers to this question

Chu Liu Hsiang

What a treasure! I'd wish his writings would be available in English. My Chinese will never be good enough to read this kind of text.

• Like 2

BornToDefense

Indeed. If you haven't already gotten your hands on it Chang Cheh: A Memoir is a great read. It sometimes shows up on ebay. Wish I could somehow share this book with the forum but I'm guessing it would cost a lot to have translated...

• Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang
13 hours ago, BornToDefense said:

Indeed. If you haven't already gotten your hands on it Chang Cheh: A Memoir is a great read. It sometimes shows up on ebay. Wish I could somehow share this book with the forum but I'm guessing it would cost a lot to have translated...

Luckily got Memoir last year  :) It was still available for rather small money in the online shop the HKFA had (or has) a link to. 

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
  • Like 2

On 12/21/2022 at 1:59 PM, BornToDefense said:

Years ago I ended up with a copy of this book. The title, 回顾香港电影三十年, shows on google translate as "Looking Back on 30 Years of Hong Kong Cinema" and the author is none other than Chang Cheh. I've had this sitting on my shelf for a long time (I can't read a word of it unfortunately) and I was wondering if anyone on this forum has any familiarity with it or info on it. I'm assuming it's some of his film criticism, but again I can't really tell. It's got some cool pictures though.

Has anyone here read this?

The translator that I worked with on my book could do it, but it would be an expense that I could never recoup. Still would love to read this someday.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

BornToDefense

Looking at rates online and yeah same here. I've often thought about writing a monograph on Chang Cheh and the cost is the biggest thing keeping me from doing it, much respect to you for taking the plunge on the Fu Sheng bio (which is great btw).

• Like 1