Hell Dogs (2022) JP Netflix - Junichi Okada

laagi

Probably a bit of a stretch to put this under the MMAC section but looking at the trailer it certainly seems to deliver all the ingredients necessary. Or if I'm to believe the trailer voice it promises to deliver "non stop crime entertainment". Yes, please!

Taken from IMDB

Shogo Kanetaka is a police officer, who suffers from trauma when his loved one was murdered. Since that horrific time, Shogo has only thought about revenge. He then receives an order to go undercover as a yakuza member. The police instructs Shogo to pick a fight with yakuza member Hideki Murooka as a stepping stone to gain entrance into the organization. The police have data that shows Shogo is matched with Hideki 98%. Meanwhile, Hideki is the son of a death-row convict. He has a physical condition, where is he always hungry and constantly eating. Also, neither her nor the yakuza can control his emotions.

Last but not least apparently this is also adapted from a Manga by Fukamachi Akio. Since it's currently streaming on Netflix this might be well worth checking out ;)

• Like 1

What utter pablum & a waste of 2 hours. Watch a Yakuza film from the "golden era" instead of this crapola. First off, Junichi Okada is 5' 3", no one is going to be intimidated by him as a Yakuza regardless of how much ink he has on his body and how much he growls...Talk about miscasting. :monk_laughing:

• Like 3

@YihetuanI don't know, Marvel's Wolverine is also 5"3' and he is scary as shit. So being short doesn't necessary mean that you aren't intimidating, its all in how you hold yourself(Unless you are ridiculously short, then it really doesn't work). As for the movie, it actually looks like it might be pretty good. 

Edited by DarthKato
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DarthKato said:

@YihetuanI don't know, Marvel's Wolverine is also 5"3' and he is scary as shit. So being short doesn't necessary mean that you aren't intimidating, its all in how you hold yourself(Unless you are ridiculously short, then it really doesn't work). As for the movie, it actually looks like it might be pretty good. 

But that's in the comics (back in the early 70s), when they actually cast an actor for the live action role, they got Hugh Jackman who is around 6' 2" tall. I can't imagine Wolverine being portrayed by a short & stocky actor like the comics version. Can't imagine there's too many 5' 3" 200 lb actors that would have been able to pull it off.

But yes, I agree with your basic premise. I will give credit to the DoP for framing Okada in a way as to mitigate the height disparity between him and the other actors. But you can catch a glimpse of Okada next to Miyavi (who is over 6') in some shots and the Mutt & Jeff height disparity is comical.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

But that's in the comics (back in the early 70s), when they actually cast an actor for the live action role, they got Hugh Jackman who is around 6' 2" tall. I can't imagine Wolverine being portrayed by a short & stocky actor like the comics version. Can't imagine there's too many 5' 3" 200 lb actors that would have been able to pull it off.

But yes, I agree with your basic premise. I will give credit to the DoP for framing Okada in a way as to mitigate the height disparity between him and the other actors. But you can catch a glimpse of Okada next to Miyavi (who is over 6') in some shots and the Mutt & Jeff height disparity is comical.

That’s fair. I actually forgot how tall Jackman was. I can see where  it would be easier to make it look good in a comic than in a movie.

• Like 2