Lucky kid/Little kickboxer

ShawAngela

Question

I recently got a German dvd of Lucky Seven 2, called Magnificent seven lucky kids, and I had the good surprise to discover that there was a bonus movie. On the dvd menu, it was called Lucky kid, and on the credits at teh beginning, it was called Little kickboxer.

I didn't find any information about this movie on hkmdb. It tells the story of the son of a taekwondo champion who has been killed by a Thai champion when he was only a little boy. he is always bullied by his male schoolmates and he befriends a taekwondo master who happens to be his father's best friend. Both the master and hte boy's mother are bullied by a gang who ask them to pay protection fees and as they refuse, they smash the mother's restaurant and they hurt the master, who meanwhile had began to teach taekwondo to the boy. This latter learns that the Thai champion who killed his father is friend with the gang who bullies his mother and teacher and he decides to compete in the tournament in order to avenge his father.

Does it ring a bell to any of you ? I loved this movie, the young boy is very skilled and the fights are really good. I preferred this movie to the Magnificent Seven lucku kids, even if I laughed a lot at this latter.

• Like 2

8 answers to this question

Pretty sure you're describing Korean Boy from 1991. It's a completely Korean but thanks to Godfrey Ho it often mistaken for Hong Kong film under the Thunder Kids series. The kid is pretty talented, his name is Kim Jin-soo and his master is non other than Kwon Seong-yeong. I put a little bit about it in the Won Jin thread as he had a small role and was one of the action directors.

image.jpeg.6237a29be1543cdc0e55b49c1593daa2.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

The credits on the movie I watched mentioned a Sean Lee as actor. I search for him and only found a director under this name.

Godfrey Ho BS names, a lot of the time they have no connection to the actor's real name.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, J.J. Hayden said:

Pretty sure you're describing Korean Boy from 1991. It's a completely Korean but thanks to Godfrey Ho it often mistaken for Hong Kong film under the Thunder Kids series. The kid is pretty talented, his name is Kim Jin-soo and his master is non other than Kwon Seong-yeong. I put a little bit about it in the Won Jin thread as he had a small role and was one of the action directors.

I seem to recognize the Thai champion, but the picture doesn't allow me to recognize the boy. Does it happen that you have some screenshots ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, J.J. Hayden said:

The credits on the movie I watched mentioned a Sean Lee as actor. I search for him and only found a director under this name.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, J.J. Hayden said:

YESSSSS ! I finally saw your screenshots, and it's the very movie I was talking about ! And I hadn't recognized Won Jin at all as the kung fu master fighting in teh tournament ! Thank you very much !!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, J.J. Hayden said:

I read in your post about this movie that the kid only appeared in two movies. What is the title of the other one ? Did he fight in it ? Also, is there a dvd of it ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I read in your post about this movie that the kid only appeared in two movies. What is the title of the other one ? Did he fight in it ? Also, is there a dvd of it ?

The other film was Taekwon Fighters, there's a few clips from the film I've seen but can't remember seeing him, though considering the title he presumably does more action in it. I doubt there is a DVD, most clips of the 90s Korea stuff is people sharing their VHS footage.

He did some TV work too, but getting info on Korean MA TV is damn near impossible, but a notable one I can confirm is that he played Ryu in Young Street Fighter, one of the many Street Fighter projects from early 90s Korea.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1