Happy 100th Birthday, Sir Run Run Shaw!

Guest peringaten

Guest peringaten

A few hours pre-emptive maybe, but...

October 4th, 1907 -Sir Run Run Shaw was born.

One of the world's great philanthropists; not only has he given billions to charitable causes, but also gave the world kung fu films beyond compare - I think that qualifies him for the greatest.

Happy birthday, old fella!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JustAFan
I hope you are kidding with that oldschool. I had no idea this guy was still alive

Yea, I thought he was dead, too. I thought he died years ago.

Guest drunkenmantis13

Wait a second here, Run Run is still alive??? :eek

Damn, i feel ashamed. Sorry fella. Well he holds strong then!

Guest peringaten

Dude's still out there giving out donations and awards and whatnot, still not retired as head of Shaws, established now 80 years ago! Coping with deteriorating vision and health, but still making public appearances - was seen a couple of weeks back awarding the annual Shaw Prize, for achievement in the sciences, equivalent an Asian Nobel Prize akin.

Funny, for a man so vital, we often overlook him further than the films on this board. Not that necessarily we need to often digress from the films/actors/directors and whatnot, or have a lot to say further perhaps, but Run Run's a great man. His influence runs deeper than just that celluloid output.

Guest kungfusamurai

Run Run Shaw will never die! It's hard to believe that the height of his movie making career occured when he was in his 70s!

KFS

Guest peringaten

No news reports on his birthday going on an English web search, but his Chinese name brought this up... from chinanews.com:

Here's a recent picture...

050615118a_3.jpg

Looking good.

Here's the news report as run through a translator. HIGHLY ropey, but makes reasonable sense:

------------------------------------------------------------

"-- October 4, Hong Kong Movie giant Shaw celebrate 100th birthday today. Hong Kong, "Wen Wei Po" reported that, in recent years, the annual birthday Shaw always spend a low profile, neither culture guests, little public appearance, but this year is phenomenal, because this evening he will attend the 40th anniversary of Taiwan TVB-lighting ceremony, JING-plus Taiwan, that seek a.

Although Shaw 100th session, but as a film still at the helm of the Kingdom, insist go to work. Even more rare is that recently he had also visited many mainland schools inspected their contributions, the last month in Hong Kong, "Shaw Award" ceremony will remain steady gait without the help.

Does he have any health tips, so Superman can maintain the energy and physique?

On one occasion, Shaw Studios villa in the national education delegation dinner, guests at the reception in his health, and very talkative, such as non-guests asked him to sit down, I believe that he will stand incessantly. Reporters rushed out, all praised his good physical condition, quickly asked his good health. Proud to shoot chest Shaw said:

"I do not have to walk with a stick. Longevity is the Road campaign, sports is very important, I have to practice every morning and 45 minutes Qigong; Before playing golf every day, Oh, not every day, four times a week, is not playing 1,10. "This Yun Momentum, many young people Far less than that. Run Run Shaw Qigong has been well known for many years, is "The World Medical Association qigong" consultants, there have been claims that his profound skill, and young people 10 years ago can contest shoved each other. Shaw even deny this: "No such thing, people shoved bad!"

Media reports said that his health secret is another work, he said the work will maintain longevity, and say that they sleep five hours every evening, an hour nap at noon, the remaining time at work, now he also attended a fortnightly wireless high-level meeting.

Apart from the work and meetings, Shaw is an important task of watching movies and TV. Chan, general manager of TVB also said Shaw liked to see the famous jokes, "Richard", over the years he has maintained a cheerful mood, and this may not unrelated.

Apart from liquor, Shaw recipes almost "unlimited", steak, sashimi, chicken wings as can also eat.

Shaw said he has not three, not a gamble, the two do not drink, do not normally three things. So-called non-normal means of stimulating things, it would have an adverse impact on the body. Apart from the exercise, he read newspapers every day about an hour."

Link.

------------------------------------------------------------

Guess all that "Run Run Shaw Qigong" keeps him ticking. Back in an old Shaw doc he claims the kung keeps him well, or to that effect... Seems it really does. Not just his stable on screen, but in body too.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Happy birthday Sir Run Run Shaw! What you've contributed to the world of cinema is incomparable. Good health to you always.

Guest Karlos

Wow, gotta say, he is looking well for someone who's just hit a century!!! :D

Gotta love him - as noted, he ain't just about the films; he's a bona fide philanphropist and I, like all you guys, wish him many, many more birthdays!!

:D :D :D

Guest teako170

Couple more photos of the birthday boy. First one I scanned from "The Shaw Screen" book. Didn't find any info about it but I'm guessing it was shot in the late 60s.

small_runrunroyce.jpg

You can get an even larger pic of it here.

Second photo is from either SS or HKMN. Early 80s?

small_shawset.jpg

You can get an even larger pic of it here.

Guest sikmao

Very Cool Pics, indeed! in the top one, while everyone seemed to be nice & relaxed, you can see Lo Lieh in the corner, ALL READY FOR ACTION!!!:rollin

and what's up with Wang Yu, in that 2nd pic!? maybe he wasn't kissin' any RunRun booty, & didn't get the bonus everyone else got!

just jokin'!:lol

Guest kungfusamurai

Wang Yu's probably thinking: 'I'm only allowed one 15 min break per 12 hour work day and they're making me pose for this picture during it!' :)

I take it these actors weren't all in the same film. They look like they were wearing costumes for different flicks. Isn't Kuan Feng wearing his 'Shaolin Prince' costume?

KFS

Guest killer meteor

The Mr Burns reference reminds me of the bashing Run RUn gets in books about Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. One relates a story where Robert Clouse had dinner at Clouse's mansion and the book said something like "They dined on snake soup, something approaching cannabalism for the host". Honestly, it's not like Raymond Chow is a darling

Archived