The Best Shaw Brothers Film (in your opinion of course)

Fuzzebear8055

Fuzzebear8055

For me it's The Ten Tigers of Kwangtung. When people speak of great Shaw Brothers movies, they usually mention the Five Venoms, the 36 Chambers of Shaolin or Come Drink With Me. But for me, this movie is the best. When I began getting back into the Kung Fu genre about 5 years ago, I can vividly remember the faces of Lu Feng and Wang Lung-Wei. Both of those guys stuck out because they seemed to be head and shoulders above the other actors when it came to choreographed fights. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fuzzebear8055 said:

For me it's The Ten Tigers of Kwangtung. When people speak of great Shaw Brothers movies, they usually mention the Five Venoms, the 36 Chambers of Shaolin or Come Drink With Me. But for me, this movie is the best. When I began getting back into the Kung Fu genre about 5 years ago, I can vividly remember the faces of Lu Feng and Wang Lung-Wei. Both of those guys stuck out because they seemed to be head and shoulders above the other actors when it came to choreographed fights. 

It is an enjoyable film but a bit of a mess(it is basically two films made into one)My choice would be Eight Diagram.Dark and moody but great choreography.

• Like 2

Shaolin Patriot

What comes to mind is Heroes of the East, due to these factors:

• Abundant amount of different martial arts styles/weapons (i.e., Chinese and Japanese)
  • Non-stereotyping of Japanese as villains
  • High production values (i.e, fantastic writing by Ni Kuang and directing by the great Lau Ga Leung)
  • Top acting performances by Gordon Liu and Yasuaki Kurata 
  • Positive final message (i.e., treating all martial artists with respect & honor, martial chivalry)
  • Like 4

ironfistedmonk

3 Masters, absolutely love this one, don't think Wang Lung Wei has ever looked better and Chen Kuan Tai is always a class act, the opening fight scene is one of my favourites as well, sets the whole film up nicely.

Honourable mentions for Human Lanterns (Chen Kuan Tai again just being so damned good), and Avenging Eagle (is there an uncut version of this anywhere?)

• Like 1

I don't think I can answer this question!

Valley of the Fangs and The Lady Assassin are 2 that come to mind though. Or every Fu Sheng movie. :thumbsup

• Like 1

Dirty Ho.

Liu Chia-Liang really outdid himself here. The comedy isn't bad, the script is clever overall, the pacing is spot on, and the clandestine fights are the sort of thing that couldn't be imitated outside of HK. You can tell that Yuen Woo-Ping wanted to do his own version with the tailor fight in Dreadnaught, which makes sense because the scene in Dirty Ho where Gordon Liu manipulates Kara Hui to fend off Wong Yue surpassed a similar fight in Snake in the Eagle's Shadow.

Also, the three-on-two showdown is the kind of intricate group interplay which you rarely see now.

• Like 3

The question is impossible to answer "honestly". There are so many equal masterpieces.

While it`s not a movie I watch often, " The assassin" is genuine epic. But there are several more with better&more action and JWY is not my fav. Movie is still masterpiece

• Like 1

As @ChillyChong said, it's impossible to answer this question because there are too many great movies in tthe Shaws' library.

Today, I would say Shaolin Handlock, and tomorrow, Shaolin Intruders, and another day, King Eagle or Have sword will travel or The duel, and I don't even talk about the Venoms' movies !

Ok, as only one movie is asked for, I decide that for me it's Shaolin Handlock.

• Like 2

Heroes of the East.

How to explain?

Its excellent across the board, fights, story, characters, social commentary/message, it manages to feel unique in how it handles the cluttered japanese vs chinese sub-genre, and it has more generally positive feel than most martial arts films, especially from Shaw… 

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I feel like the technical answer is Heroes of the East. Lau Kar-Leung's choreography is at its speedy (without much undercranking) intricate best, it's got nonstop action, and an emotional center. In my mind films like this and Dirty Ho solidify LKL as a Sergio Leone level filmmaker. What I mean by that is he straddled the line between "art" and popcorn pop art, drawing the best from both worlds; proudly inhabiting his corner of the "genre film" but also transcending his genre in certain ways (but from a foundation of respect for the genre rather than condescension or irony).

So that would be my sorta objective pick. My more subjective pick (just for fun/entertainment value/inexplicable fondness) could be something like Martial Arts of Shaolin (1986) or Five Deadly Venoms.

Edited by SDJ