The Woman King (2022) - Viola Davis

laagi

Boy oh boy was I wrong about this movie. I let my own bias almost get the better of me :( I'm actually kind of ashamed of it.

The Woman King was pretty much "dead on arrival" for being the wrong movie at the wrong time!? And I can't say how much that pisses me off after watching it.

Not that it ever stood a chance with the crowd who prematurely labelled this as just another one of "THOSE" movies. 

I admit my first impression was also similar, hence I just dismissed it. However a few positive reviews and after the highest recommendation of a friend I finally decided to give it a chance.

And honestly I really enjoyed it. Viola Davis gives an outstanding performance! The story is a bit bare bone and for my taste at times too conventional. Nevertheless I was engaged for the 2+ hours.

The Woman King while touching on a lot of subjects like sisterhood, sacrifice, love, family is also like a classic adventure movie. Or at least that's how I felt. I loved the variety of especially female characters. But nothing felt forced or trying to push an agenda just a well crafted movie. Also for the action aficionados there are some good action scenes!

Overall I would've loved for the movie to get more attention! Sadly this was shifted towards "Wakanda Forever" instead which honestly doesn't stand a chance against this.

Just goes to prove once and for all never ever judge a book by its cover. Support this movie! Buy, rent or go see it.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, laagi said:

But nothing felt forced or trying to push an agenda just a well crafted movie. Also for the action aficionados there are some

Wow...

• Haha 1

Well, I’m not sure about this one. If they are going to treat the white people that had slaves like they are the antichrist, I don’t think they should make heroes out of the ones that sold them the slaves in the first place. 

1 hour ago, DarthKato said:

Well, I’m not sure about this one. If they are going to treat the white people that had slaves like they are the antichrist, I don’t think they should make heroes out of the ones that sold them the slaves in the first place. 

Although the movie is largely focused on the Agojie it felt (at least to me) as though the producers made no secret about how the local kingdom(s) were actively involved in the slave trade and also profited from it. Call it almost refreshing that both seller and buyer are portrayed as equally corrupted by greed and power. It was a pleasant surprise for once that's for sure.

• Like 1