Master Of Kung Fu

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I'm surprised no-ones mentioned anything about this film yet. There are some extremely well done fight scenes in this film. Ku Feng with that three sectioned staff? That's one difficult weapon to handle right there and Ku Feng handles it like it's childs play. Sure there are some hokey scenes with the foreigners, but that's only to be expected, I guess. Really, there are two must see fight scenes with Ku Feng in the film and Wang Hsia is pretty vicious with handling his scenes as well. Granted the end of the film is stupid, but there are priceless Ku Feng/Chan Shen/Wang Hsia scenes here.

All right. Let the abuses begin... What's anyone who's scene the remaster think?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no regrets getting this. I liked it better than I thought I would. Ku Feng is quite the actor. When he plays a good guy he plays the nicest good guy and when he plays a bad guy he plays the baddest. Fights were good. Worth the money spent imo. Alot better than Rivals of Kung Fu.

Guest Markgway
I'm surprised no-ones mentioned anything about this film yet.

I seem to remember a bunch of posts about this made just last week... lol

FTR: Yeah, it's a lot better than RIVALS. I've only seen the crappy dub mind. I expect it looks great in widescreen.

Guest Chinatown Kid

This film was one of the ones shown on Blackbelt Theatre back in the early 80's and I enjoyed it. Ku Feng plays Wong Fei Hung who is a master of a "death kick" that he used to accidently kill someone and vowed to never use it again until the dasterdly villains of the story make him change his mind. The fights are not to bad for an early 70's film and it was nice to see Ku in a heroic role for a change.

Guest killer meteor

Looking forward to this one! Was rather disapointed with Rivals Of Kung Fu but at least that had Shih Kien. Ku Feng in a lead role is definetly to be savoured

Guest stormybman

Ku Feng... Another great performer who doesn't get enough credit for his talents.

Has there ever been so many actors who played meaningful roles that just never get theirs as much as the Kung Fu actor/actress?

I watch Master of Kung Fu quite often because of Ku's potrayal of Wong Fei Hung. He should have done a few more...

Guest jmungus

with all due respect to one of my personal movie heroes, i thought ku`s portrayal of wong fei hung was rather average, lackin quite a bit of the charisma ku`s able to put on the screen.

loved chan shen`s performance tho.

the movie`s cool (first time i saw it), but nothing worth going crazy over.

couldnt help but think been there, seen that; especially in the first half. prolly not the movies`fault, but more to do with me watching it in ´07 for the first time ever after a thousand other m.a. flix, newer and older than MoKF.

plot- decent standard. same goes for scenery/stage design.

typical ho meng hua direction (imo his style feels closest to that of a 'classic mainstream director').

fighting was nice for `73, tryin to be swift and fast. theres quite some quick-cut editing in order to enhance the speed of the combat action; only sometimes it didnt feel right to me.

6.8/10- on the lower end of "good!"

Guest shukocarl

Firts saw this in 1974 under the title 'Death Kick' in a double bill with 'Chinese Vengeance'. Sadly all the 3 section staff footage was cut (as well as David Chiang's weapon use in the other film) as this was the UK in the 1970's...scissor-happy censor David Ferman!>:

I enjoyed this film also. Owned the old VHS dubb for years and watching it remastered is a treat.

Ku Feng is a most underated performer and must have had a true interest in three section staff, seeing that he used in several films as a weapon of choice.

He would have been great in a film with Bruce.

Archived