Ang Lee Directing a new Bruce Lee Biopic starring his son Mason

AlbertV

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/bruce-lee-biopic-ang-lee-1235445696/

Ang Lee is directing a Bruce Lee biopic for Sony Pictures and he has cast his 32-year old son Mason Lee in the role of the legendary martial artist. Actor turned screenwriter Dan Futterman is at work on the latest version of the script. Mason has been training for three years in preparation for the role. The film will be simply titled Bruce Lee.

Collage-Maker-30-Nov-2022-01.29-PM.jpg?w

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

shukocarl1441996347
1 hour ago, AlbertV said:

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/bruce-lee-biopic-ang-lee-1235445696/

Ang Lee is directing a Bruce Lee biopic for Sony Pictures and he has cast his 32-year old son Mason Lee in the role of the legendary martial artist. Actor turned screenwriter Dan Futterman is at work on the latest version of the script. Mason has been training for three years in preparation for the role. The film will be simply titled Bruce Lee.

Collage-Maker-30-Nov-2022-01.29-PM.jpg?w

F**** me, not ANOTHER one. How many bleedin' times can you tell this story?

18 minutes ago, legendarycurry said:

I'll watch if the estate isn't allowed so they dare have some nuances in the film

Hoping for some juicy drug stories I assume LOL. But joke aside I doubt they'll be able to do much without the estate.

If this project had been announced in 2019, it would have been obvious that Shannon Lee wanted to undo the damage that she perceived Quentin Tarantino as doing.

If this project had been announced in 2021, it would have been obvious that Shannon was trying to redirect all the attention that was lavished on those letters.

I find it a tad suspect that the project has been announced after the water death claim last week.

• Like 1

In Dragon, JSL fought more like Jackie Chan than Bruce. In this movie, who will Mason fight like? Donnie Yen in the Ip Man movies?

Edited by Cognoscente
  • Like 1

We can bash this sh*t all we want in the end it's still gonna happen. Best to do not watch it or actually wait for more info.

Although let's face it in the end curiosity at first will get the better of us. Not to mention Ang Lee of all people. I mean WTF, man!?

Also I'm baffled nobody mentioned his son's Martial Arts background or lack there of. Correct me if I'm wrong but Mason isn't exactly known for being a Martial Artist. Or is he?

I'd love to see Mike Moh reprise the role but that's not gonna happen any time soon. Ain't that right... Shannon!?

And as many others have mentioned before who actually still cares about Bruce Lee. Besides us old geezers who either grew up with him or because of the love for the hobby got acquainted with the little Dragon.

Or are they gonna make him like a asian american superhero here to save the day? Like that's something we need right now.

No matter how much I spin this around I can't see this working out artistically or financially. Or is this just a last pitiful attempt from the estate to steer the attention away from the recently leaked information? One, literally nobody seem to care about either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laagi said:

who actually still cares about Bruce Lee.

People who were intrigued by OUATIH, and the mere mention of his name in the Warrior credits. His name is often referenced in many scripted shows and movies to the point that he has become something of an urban legend. There is also the exposure that he has gained from memes and gifs.

1 hour ago, laagi said:

Or are they gonna make him like a asian american superhero here to save the day? Like that's something we need right now.

I'm reminded of the tagline for the U.S. poster of The Way of the Dragon: "Boy, can we use him now!"

1 hour ago, laagi said:

No matter how much I spin this around I can't see this working out artistically or financially.

Especially after Ang Lee bombed with Gemini Man. Before that, he bombed even harder with "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk."

• Like 1

CharlieParker

Personally, I though he would have made a great subject for a new season of Narcos, but what do I know?

Edited by CharlieParker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe it sounds strange, but I still would like to see a Bruce Lee biopic, but done the right way.

Fundamental points should be complied with, I think it should get the LOTR-treatment to get the ultimative BL-Biopic:

1. 3 movies, 3 hours long  (First years in HK, US-years, Last years in HK)

2. Everything, good or bad, should be in it to some extend (women, drugs, problems with directors and producers etc.)

3. Years of developing the script, and deciding what is important (Martial Arts, Philosophy, Acting, his acquaintances)

4. Good casting choices.

5. Truthful telling

...I know it will probably not happen, because some people don't want certain aspects of Bruce's life to come out.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kwai said:

I like that approach. The titles could be A Dragon is Born, The Dragon Rises, and The Dragon's Fire.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kwai said:

Fundamental points should be complied with, I think it should get the LOTR-treatment to get the ultimative BL-Biopic:

Yes this would be an interesting idea. But in any case they'd have to wait for at least a few years for all the current Hollywood BS to pass by before attempting this, or Bruce will be yet another superhero to be shat all over.

• Like 1