Why is Legend of a Fighter rarely mentioned as the best kung fu movie ever made?

Jizzmaster Jerry

Jizzmaster Jerry
On 12/29/2022 at 2:14 PM, masterofoneinchpunch said:

John Charles in his book "Hong Kong Filmography" (a must own for HK fans) has a nice review of this (8/10) though no additional information that I have above (other than characters names in both Cantonese (Fok Yuen-gap) vs Mandarin (Huo Yuanjia).

Note on HKL.  It has been mentioned that it is cropped.  Is there a release where it is not cropped?  Does a wider format (2:35 exist)?  Also where did that information come from.  This is not mentioned on HKFA (though IMDB does have it as such).

Also the HKL DVD states R2, but I noticed it is actually R0 (which is good; still PAL though).

There’s another Fok Yun Gap movie Young Hero where I think Yuen Mo plays the part.  Not quite a classic but worth a watch for Kwan Young Moon and Hwang Jang Lee.  

I’m guessing you watched the mandarin, because you didn’t mention the dub.  And it is a memorable one with extra care put into it.  Think Ninja in the Dragon’s Den and Young Master.  A goofy nutso dub and very funny. 

Edited by Jizzmaster Jerry
  • Like 3

Jizzmaster Jerry

I think my question has been answered.  This is one of the top kung fu movies of all time.  It can be matched up against any martial arts movie from any era and any country and hold its own as the best of the best.  I wasn’t expecting the comments to be so overly positive, but it doesn’t surprise me.  Makes me want to point out the negatives because of all the positivity.  Like that Russian Boxer.  Not too intimidating.  But who am I kidding I love that scene.  Fung Fung kills me as the referee/promoter/manager.  “One, two, two and a half”.  But unless Pearl River releases it then it’ll go by forgotten for now.  And plus I want my uncut special edition of Super Chan first.  

Edited by Jizzmaster Jerry
  • Like 4

masterofoneinchpunch
On 4/8/2023 at 10:30 PM, Jizzmaster Jerry said:

There’s another Fok Yun Gap movie Young Hero where I think Yuen Mo plays the part.  Not quite a classic but worth a watch for Kwan Young Moon and Hwang Jang Lee.  

I’m guessing you watched the mandarin, because you didn’t mention the dub.  And it is a memorable one with extra care put into it.  Think Ninja in the Dragon’s Den and Young Master.  A goofy nutso dub and very funny. 

Yeah, I listened to the Mandarin dub, not the English one.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 3:19 PM, dionbrother said:

You can currently watch an HD version of THE SWORD on Amazon Prime's HI-YAAH! channel, in either English or Cantonese.  Been told by a reliable source that all Golden Harvest movies from 1980 and on have been licensed for blu ray.  Most of the independent stuff is owned by the likes of Charles Heung and others, and they're just waiting for an offer they like.  I'm told whoever has the Eternal Films library wants a lot of money for the rights.  Until these licensors become more realistic about the money that's made off these films, we do with what we have.

I hear many films were bought by companies in mainland and they require a big number discs reproduced or they won't consider a release.  rights are hard to track down. it's a different business model than they are used to

• Like 2

Jizzmaster Jerry

Watching this again and I forgot to mention my favorite character.  The guy who protects the bully that likes to beat up Fok Yun Gap.  He will step in if the bully starts getting beaten up.  And he’ll keep a lookout so nobody’s walking by if the bully decides to kill someone.   I know I’ve seen this character in a couple other movies too.  I want to see an old kung fu movie where the bully’s protector is the main character.  

• Like 2

Jizzmaster Jerry
On 5/24/2023 at 12:40 AM, Jizzmaster Jerry said:

Watching this again and I forgot to mention my favorite character.  The guy who protects the bully that likes to beat up Fok Yun Gap.  He will step in if the bully starts getting beaten up.  And he’ll keep a lookout so nobody’s walking by if the bully decides to kill someone.   I know I’ve seen this character in a couple other movies too.  I want to see an old kung fu movie where the bully’s protector is the main character.  

I found one about a bully protector. A Wily Match.  Not quite as good as Legend of a Fighter😂. I liked it.  But the final fight seems to take forever and not in a good way.