SHAW HORRORS!!

Guest TambaChibaYama  IchiFune

Guest TambaChibaYama  IchiFune

Since all the talk about Seeding of a Ghost, I was wondering what other Shaw horror movies that are released by Celestial are worth getting ahold of. The only movie i seen considered a horror movie is Human Lanterns.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest monwobobbo

BLACK MAGIC and BOXER'S OMEN are both horror and if you like chinese horror films are decent. there is also LEGEND OF THE 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES which was released by anchor bay.

Guest deliriocaldo

if you like your horror flicks weird, you should definitely pick up the way-out bizarre "the boxer's omen". if you prefer sleazy and kinky excursions into depravity, "the killer snakes" is your film. both are top-notch "mondo macabro"-style entertainment for open-minded horror fans.

hkmdb.com/db/images/movies/5476/KillerSnakes+1974-2-b.jpg

hkmdb.com/db/images/movies/6525/BoxersOmen+1983-1-b.jpg

some comments on other shaw horrors i've seen:

BlackMagic+1975-1-b.jpg

"black magic" was the trendsetter for the "gong tau" genre: see modern chinese folks fight for their lives and sanity when confronted with ancient folklore sorcery and witchcraft somewhere out there in south east asia. highly recommended.

OilyManiac+1976-1-b.jpg

"the oily maniac" is cheap & cheerful trash starring danny lee as a cripple by day who turns into a greasy superhero by night. looking like a giant turd on legs, he kicks ass and smashes heads in the name of justice. not really a horror flick in the strictest sense, this one plays out like sort of a "toxic avenger" done shaw-style (and nearly a decade before the guys at troma had that glorious idea).

HauntedTales+1980-1-b.jpg

"haunted tales" combines two episodes; first one is quite surreal, sort of a "haunted house-on-LSD" experience; second one is a nice little morality play along the lines of classic EC horror comic books, with a little more degradation & gore thrown in - both are recommended.

"hex" is a republican era period thriller with supernatural overtones. nice stuff, but what makes this one essential viewing is the totally gratitious coda (which is ripping off the japanese classic "kwaidan", by the way...)

CorpseMania+1981-3-b.jpg

"corpse mania" is another republican era tale, this time about

mysterious slayings and necrophilia. it's okay, but doesn't live up to its potential.

GhostEyes+1974-1-b.jpg

"ghost eyes" is a sleazy horror flick about a young woman controlled by forces from beyond the grave via hypnotic contact lenses. this one is okay, too, but its central gimmick could have been utilized better.

"the siamese twins" is boring 80s crap. not worth seeking this one out.

Guest Stuntman Jules

My favorite Shaw horrors:

HUMAN LANTERNS- My personal favorite Shaw Brothers film in general. A beautiful mix of horror and wuxia with an almost Mario Bava-like feel at times.

BLACK MAGIC 2- One of the most wonderfully insane films ever made and a big improvement over the kind of dull original BLACK MAGIC. A simply arresting constant barrage of grotesque insanity.

HAUNTED TALES- Great movie. The first episode by Chor Yuen is a more subtle Mario Bava-like haunted house horror flick while the second, by MEN BEHIND THE SUN's T.F. Mous feels more like a super sleazy Japanese pinku eiga flick with horror injected.

THE KILLER SNAKES- A gritty, sleazy, wonderfully mean spirited piece of slime with loathsome, unpleasant characters and lots of slimy snakes.

Guest morgoth

I just saw on Amazon that Image is releasing Killer Snakes on Dec 4.

And I would recommend staying far away from Black MAgic. I had a hard time sitting through the whole movie, and I was majorly disappointed by the ending.

Archived