As Good as Dead (2022) Michael Jai White, Louis Mandylor, Tom Berenger, Michael Copon

DrNgor

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15131266/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_8

IMDB Plot Summary: Bryant (Michael Jai White), a man with a mysterious past moves to a small Mexican border-town to start over and live the simple life. While there, he reluctantly befriends a troubled local teen who has recently lost his mother and is being recruited by the local street gang. Bryant keeps the boy on the straight and narrow by introducing him to martial arts and taking on the role of mentor, teacher and father-figure. As the story unfolds we learn that Bryant is much more than a man who moved to Mexico to live the simple life. Bryant is running from a complex, violent past that he believes he left behind. As his past catches up with him, he is forced into a life and death struggle to clear his name, save the boy and get back all that he left behind.

The fight director is credited as Michel Quac, who appears to be a French stuntman.

Anyone know anything about this?

• Like 2

Written by and starring Michael Jai White and directed by R. Ellis Frazier. The film is coming out December 16th.

Bryant (Michael Jai White), a man with a mysterious past moves to a small Mexican border-town to start over and live the simple life. While there, he reluctantly befriends a troubled local teen who has recently lost his mother and is being recruited by the local street gang. Bryant keeps the boy on the straight and narrow by introducing him to martial arts and taking on the role of mentor, teacher and father-figure. As the story unfolds we learn that Bryant is much more than a man who moved to Mexico to live the simple life. Bryant is running from a complex, violent past that he believes he left behind. As his past catches up with him, he is forced into a life and death struggle to clear his name, save the boy and get back all that he left behind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Looking forward to this, but what I really want is a sequel to Blood and Bone and/or Falcon Rising.

I second this! 

On the other hand, I'm not really looking forward to this one, not if it's gonna be another Take Back or Commando. Time for White to do a good one again.

• Like 2

Yes on Blood and Bone but a no for me on Falcon Rising. 

As for this one it looks pretty decent and sure as hell beats Take Back*! I sincerely hope White can put out something good for once. His latest efforts have all been below par unfortunately.

*Then again I'd go as far as saying pretty much anything does LOL

• Like 1

I watched it yesterday. It was good. MJW has some nice fights and Michel Quach was the fight coordinator with Art Camacho as stunt coordinator.  Camacho even has a cameo before the last action set.

There is a funny scene where Bryant and Hector reference In Hell, Kickboxer: Retaliation, and Death Warrant.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
42 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

Michel Quach was the fight coordinator...

This dude seems very talented but, fuck me, all his Instagram videos are exactly the same. He has zero variety in his choreography. I'm glad to hear it translates better to a feature film.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

This dude seems very talented but, fuck me, all his Instagram videos are exactly the same. He has zero variety in his choreography. I'm glad to hear it translates better to a feature film.

Thank God I didn't see that but MJW does an amazing move where he confronts a machete wielding goon by slamming him face first in the ground..made me jump and say Holy S**t..reminded me of Iko Uwais slamming that one goon face 1st in The Raid.

Don't expect to see Louis Mandylor in any action. He plays the lawyer of Tom Berenger's Kilbane, who is masterminding everything from prison. Kudos has to go to young Luca Oriel as Oscar, Bryant's protege. He holds his own in his two fight scenes, the latter against former Power Ranger and Scorpion King Michael Copon.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

Watched this over the weekend. It's a solid action flick. Pretty good mix of MA and gun play. The movie gave me some Falcon Rising vibes but lacks a proper showcase of MJW's skill set, though he does throwdown on occasion. There is one scene in particular that really struck me as funny: MJW and his protege's brother get into a discussion involving White's character's backstory, comparing it to former action/MA movies. The delivery is done well and had me chuckling. Nice writing. I do wish the 'unique' style of combat MJW uses was addressed more in the film as it serves as the pivotal point (as seen in the trailer) for what sets everything off. All in all, definitely worth watching. One of MJW's better low budget ventures.

• Like 2