Master thread for boutique label Asian releases

Yihetuan

De Ming Li
8 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Wasn't planning on getting that Haunts box set from Severin but might have to now to get Nang Nak/Bakeneko & that Suzzanna documentary

Screenshot_20240822-115717.png

Screenshot_20240822-115653.png

That's one expensive set

Yihetuan
15 minutes ago, De Ming Li said:

That's one expensive set

yes it is! My worry was the 24 films over 13 discs but 2 films per disc shouldn't be too bad even considering Severin's less than sterling reputation for encoding. I'm only interested in the 4 Asian films (Io Island, Nang Nak, Bakeneko & Sundelbolong) + the Suzzanna documentary. So 5 films for $180 comes out to $36 per film, so quite steep indeed.

De Ming Li

I'm tempted to get this All The Haunts Be Ours set but Io Island already has that blu ray direct from KOFA themselves and (at least according to @Yggdrasil) the Thai film is apparently a snooze fest. Bakeneko is probably standard Japanese fare from that era? What's Sundelbolong like?

The Suzzanna documentary would at least compliment the upcoming Mondo Macabro release.

Yihetuan
23 minutes ago, De Ming Li said:

I'm tempted to get this All The Haunts Be Ours set but Io Island already has that blu ray direct from KOFA themselves and (at least according to Yggdrasil) the Thai film is apparently a snooze fest. Bakeneko is probably standard Japanese fare from that era? What's Sundelbolong like?

The Suzzanna documentary would at least compliment the upcoming Mondo Macabro release.

Sundelbolong is another of Suzzanna's supernatural revenge films with Barry Prima where she's a shapeshifting ghost spirit who is on a path of vengeance against those who brutally assaulted and killed her. I saw the webrip in which a kind soul fixed the previously bad subs and it was okay with some cheesy gore effects.

Spoiler

7Z8TtUo.png

It is a tough sell at that price for those few films that I want (especially the supplements and commentary tracks) but I figure my daughter can go without orthodontia for at least another year. :BL-IDontKnow:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yggdrasil
Posted (edited)
On 8/23/2024 at 5:18 AM, De Ming Li said:

I'm tempted to get this All The Haunts Be Ours set but Io Island already has that blu ray direct from KOFA themselves and (at least according to @Yggdrasil) the Thai film is apparently a snooze fest. Bakeneko is probably standard Japanese fare from that era? What's Sundelbolong like?

Well don't take my short review on the film. For me, I thought it was quite cack. If you're expecting a Thai horror film that will give you chills and jumps, Nang Nak isn't it.

I bought The film before I travelled overseas to Asia, 5 years later, so if I watched it now, I might recognise a few things in the film.  (Like spirit houses if there is any)

But I have no current plans to take it off my shelf and sit down to watch it again.

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 1

Yihetuan

The 2019 horror comedy HARAWATA MAN aka The Intestines Man is coming to DVD from MVD. Up for preorder now.

Screenshot_20240828-145557.png

Screenshot_20240828-145616.png

• Like 2

Yihetuan

Ann Hui's OUR TIME WILL COME will be getting an on demand BD-R from Bayview Ent,. Pre-order up now for a Sept 10 release date.

61o6pgEwcvL.jpg

616vB4JkVkL.jpg

• Like 2

ChillyChong

This has probably been best year ever considering BR releases of asian movies...dreaming the reality, warrior trilogy, run&kill, bruce clones, bodyguard from beijing, queen's high, chess boxing, fist of legend etc etc.to kill a mastermind is one of most wanted and forth coming shawscope3&the sword also so essentials. And still lot year to go, certainly some more will be announced.

• Like 4

On 9/6/2024 at 9:58 AM, Yihetuan said:

Kiyoshi Kurosawa's CURE 4K UHD coming soon from Plain Archive with Lenticular cover

Screenshot_20240906-095615.png

Screenshot_20240906-095601.png

Screenshot_20240906-095547.png

Despite the specs saying English subtitles apparently this release WILL not have them after all. Looks like Criterion will be putting out the 4K sometime in the future.

Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 19-50-39 🔪 Amber T 🔪 (@hornbloodfire) _ X.png

• Like 1