The Challenger Joy Sales DVD

Django

Question

I have noticed that some of my IVL and Joy Sales discs have some circular spots or "cloudy" stains, I guess you could call it. Just noticed it on my The Challenger DVD which plays fine but has some pixlating / issues around 38 seconds in when they put the red banner up. Is it just my copy or does anyone else see experience the same thing?  Also wondering if anyone else has seen this kind of clouds or spots on the disc? Thanks for answers!

Edited by Django

13 answers to this question

I had the same "clouds" on some of my deltamac and/or Movie Media dvds, but on the playing surface of the disc, not on the same place as the one shown above. All my discs with these problems had bad freezing issues and I had to ask for replacements.

legendarycurry
1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

I had the same "clouds" on some of my deltamac and/or Movie Media dvds, but on the playing surface of the disc, not on the same place as the one shown above. All my discs with these problems had bad freezing issues and I had to ask for replacements.

This is concerning. Is this the dreaded "disc rotting" That I have heard so much abou,t that like death for humans, will claim all DVDs one day? Or is it a HK disc manufacturing error? I don't know if you can answer this ShawAngela but, I am indeed worried.

46 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Is this the legendary collection release? That's the one I have

It is. I found an upload online and it has the same issue so it's nothing wrong with my disc 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legendarycurry said:

This is concerning. Is this the dreaded "disc rotting" That I have heard so much abou,t that like death for humans, will claim all DVDs one day? Or is it a HK disc manufacturing error? I don't know if you can answer this ShawAngela but, I am indeed worried.

I have never experienced discrot, but I think that is a different thing. I think these spots or "clouds" comes from oxidization inside the case or simply just something from manufacturing. I don't know why the hell I'm checking up on my discs when there ain't no problem with them🤣

1 hour ago, saltysam said:

my Well Go USA Shaw blu rays were ruined by disc rot, Brothers Five,Delightful Forest, Heroic Ones

How did you store them?

legendarycurry
37 minutes ago, Django said:

How did you store them?

There are specific ways they must be stored? Like outside of on the shelf in original packaging? or CD books?

Django where do DVD's go when they die? is there a heaven for my Mei Ah VCD of Bullet In The Head with the alternative footage and boardroom ending when it moves on?  I'm scurred.:yociexpress09:

Stressed Nicole Kidman GIF by The Undoing

1 hour ago, Django said:

How did you store them?

on a shelf with my hundreds of others :dull Well Go discs released around then were legendary for disc rot, or "bronzing" rendering them unplayable. It's a pity the three titles i had are not available english friendly anywhere else.

Disc rot will usually present itself as coffee-stain-looking blotches on the main surface of the disc. Such was the tragic fate of my HKL The Iceman Cometh DVD, my bro managed to save most of the film but, the last 20-30 minutes is gone. I take very good care of my discs, sometimes you just get unlucky. Bottom line, is back 'em up on an external hard-drive before it's too late.

• Like 1

legendarycurry
2 hours ago, J.J. Hayden said:

Disc rot will usually present itself as coffee-stain-looking blotches on the main surface of the disc. Such was the tragic fate of my HKL The Iceman Cometh DVD, my bro managed to save most of the film but, the last 20-30 minutes is gone. I take very good care of my discs, sometimes you just get unlucky. Bottom line, is back 'em up on an external hard-drive before it's too late.

I need to get an external drive asap. some of my discs are like 20 years old!

• Like 1