Shaw Studios (RIP)

teako170

A few weeks back, I observed some recent images of the SB studio lot. Sadly, it is looking more like a parking lot. We knew this day would come, and we are now bearing witness, as part of cinema history becomes extinct. The famed studio gate that I and others visited in 2010 is now nearly wiped from reality. Even the remarkable 2018 drone footage shot by Daniel O’Leary seems like an eternity ago when compared to the 2022 satellite image.

Very depressing to see this but at least we still have their films and the memories. RIP Shaw Studio.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

legendarycurry
2 minutes ago, teako170 said:
A few weeks back, I observed some recent images of the SB studio lot. Sadly, it is looking more like a parking lot. We knew this day would come, and we are now bearing witness, as part of cinema history becomes extinct. The famed studio gate that I and others visited in 2010 is now nearly wiped from reality. Even the remarkable 2018 drone footage shot by Daniel O’Leary seems like an eternity ago when compared to the 2022 satellite image.

Very depressing to see this but at least we still have their films and the memories. RIP Shaw Studio.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

First GH now SB. Feels very very sad. I know HK is ever changing in more ways than one, but why is nobody out there (seemingly) placing any value on cultural significance/tourism appeal?.

The HK avenue of stars and it's popularity I think would have proven that the cinematic history of the fragrant harbor was one people cared about. But I guess not enough . I know HK has bigger issues than this but it seems further emblematic in a way of things taking a turn for the worse.

One day I will return to HK for a much longer trip (I was only there for two short days when I was 18) and revisit the avenue of stars and see famous filming locations and take a picture with the since erected Mui Yim Fong statue (RIP). That day however feels out of reach, especially considering they'll probably turn the whole islands into housing complexes and parking lots. (not to mention politically troubling aspects and increased CCP influence).

RIP Shaw Bros studios

• Like 5

On 11/11/2022 at 12:24 AM, legendarycurry said:

(not to mention politically troubling aspects and increased CCP influence).

That could be part of the reason why it's been allowed to get into that state. The CCP wants to erase any memory of how expressive, ground-breaking and successful Hong Kong (and it's people) was when free from their tyranny.

Whatever the reason, it's quite tragic.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

legendarycurry
2 hours ago, J.J. Hayden said:

That could be part of the reason why it's been allowed to get into that state. The CCP wants to erase any memory of how expressive, ground-breaking and successful Hong Kong (and it's people) was when free from their tyranny.

Whatever the reason, it's quite tragic.

This music video seems ever relevant not to mention its lyrics

Google translated lyrics into English, though far from 100% accurate or capturing what I imagine it must be like to hear this understanding Cantonese, it still conveys the criticism, anger and rebellious spirit and message of the song quiet well IMHO:

Look at you, what are you doing, and Hong Kong must have We just have to watch what you're doing
Look at you, what are you doing, and Hong Kong must have We just have to watch what you're doing Look at you, what are you doing, and Hong Kong must have We just have to watch what you're doing Look at you, what are you doing, and Hong Kong must have We just have to watch what you're doing

(Ren) Hurry up and rush to Luo Xi P Ji To Kwa Wan It's too lazy to talk and talk to the end
What a society, the more difficult it is to look at us, we are too lazy to care
Look at your class's senior officials without hands and tails, sitting in the Legislative Council every day to play 
If you don't want to do entertainment writing, you're really a ghost. Greedy, ugly, perverted, we don't care about you
Once exposed and committed suicide because of fear of crime, you are really tiring
Your microphone is closed You have rice to do a lot of tricks Your microphone is closed I have a lot of gestures 
The generation of the family is getting worse and worse The quirky and strange Learn to walk the ancients, heroism, personality cult We are lazy and can't help but want to come out

Look at you, what are you doing, and Hong Kong must have We just have to watch what you're doing Look at you, what are you doing, and Hong Kong must have We just have to watch what you're doing

It's a mistake in the society If there is a mistake, someone willing to come out and admit the mistake It's not very clear, don't ask to be clear You're wrong, don't admit it, if something goes wrong, you push me again Is there something wrong? A wolf in sheep's clothing is a citizen of the stars, like a lamb to keep you trapped I chose you because I wanted you to scare me But the interests of the land are in favor of the devil

(Paul) Your microphone is closed You have rice to do a lot of tricks Your microphone is closed I have a lot of gestures

Look at you, what are you doing, and Hong Kong must have (repeated a number of times until end of song)
  • Like 2

Shaolin Patriot
1 hour ago, teako170 said:

2294x1121 (full size).

ShawLightning.jpg

Glad to know I'm not the only one with the Monk San Te collectible item, lol! Perhaps we should create a "SB Collectibles" blog on the site. 

• Like 3