is Hex (1980) the first film in afranchise? If so which are the official entries in said franchise?

legendarycurry

Question

5 answers to this question

legendarycurry

Oh snap there seems to be more to it as the 1982 film from the same director and writer as the Hex and Bewitched and Boxer's Omen films "Curse Of Evil" is yet another in the "Xie" series of titles. I think this is how it goes based on titles and release year:

The Xie (Evil) aka   franchise from Kuei Chih-Hung ( I chose to call it the Evil franchise or "邪" franchise instead of "Hex" because one film does not have Hex in its English title):

Hex (1980) .
Hex Versus Witchcraft (1980) 邪鬥邪,
Hex After Hex (1982) 邪完再邪

Curse Of Evil (1982)邪咒
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure Chinese speaking audiences figured this out eons ago, but it was news to me that 1. Hex or "Xie" is a four film franchise and 2. that all but one of them have the word Hex in their English titles!

I don't think so. From what I heard, Bewitched is related to The boxer's omen, while Hex, Hex vs Witchcraft and Hex after Hex are a kind of trilogy.

• Buddha Bless You 2

legendarycurry
9 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I don't think so. From what I heard, Bewitched is related to The boxer's omen, while Hex, Hex vs Witchcraft and Hex after Hex are a kind of trilogy.

Thank you very much for your response! It's interesting because all these films share a director, and all but Hex have the same writter too. I think that is what got me confused.

Also,all the films with "hex" in the title use the chinese character Xiè which means evil I think. Hex is known simply as "Xiè" whereas Hex Versus Witchcraft is know as "Xiè dòu Xié" (Evil against evil). Hex After Hex is called "Xié Wan Zài Xié" (Evil after evil).

The Boxer's Omen also has a one character title in Chinese : "Mó" (magic) and Bewitched is known as yet another one character title: "Gû" (insanity) putting  both together as"Gû mó" in translate gives me "Bewitched" lol :)

Adding the" Xié" from Hex' title still makes it "bewitched" whereas"Xié gû mó" becomes "evil monster" , "Xiemo" becomes "Demon" hmmm.. :D

I could go on experimenting with just these three characters and the characters "dòu" and "Wán Zái", in fact "Xie Gú Mó Xié wán Zái xié becomes "After the evil monster fights the evil, it will be evil again" great title for a new entry in this "series" right? :D

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

legendarycurry
40 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

LegendCurry you should write a blog or a book!

Means a lot to that you wrote that, thank you so much for the compliment!. If I ever do start a blog or write a book I will for sure credit you as one of the inspirations :)

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1