House of Traps (DVD - IVL)

Guest UrbanKungFu

Guest iron flag

My opinion is based on that crappy copy that was going around...So bad it gave me a headache..but I watched it anyway (more than once) so I cant imagine it'll be worse seeing it remastered! :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Just received my copy today! YES! Gonna watch it tonight. I'll give an updated opinion with no real spoilers.

Guest ignamelogin

Watched HoT with my brother (his first time, but I've been hyping it to him since he was a kid) this weekend and thought...

It was great! Was it a perfect film? No. But was it entertaining? Heck yeah!

For me the highlights include: a straightforward well told story with a few decent twists; an amazing cast of characters, each with their own unique skills and weapon; and of course the House of Traps itself. The set was very well designed and a big part of the action. The gore was appropriate and not over-the-top. The performances were spot-on and even brought a tear to my eye a few times.

The whole thing held up very well for me. The picture did look a bit brighter than I remembered from the theater though, and I do miss the old subtitles (the Butterfly instead of Missile Man, wha?), and the addition of original and new trailers was just icing on the cake. Since this is the last year for SB releases, they're going out with bang at least!

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

One of the princes decides he's gonna revenge his father's premature death. So he builds the House Of Traps to accomplish this end.

Lu Feng starts the story off with stealing a precious jade horse presenting it to said prince for proof of his loyalty. They decide to lock it up in the House Of Traps in case the emperor gets any smart ideas. After some appropriate storyline dynamics Kuo Chui shows up with the Pearl Crown to express his loyalty to the scheming prince. Lu Feng and he already exhibit some animosity with Kuo's copy cat offer to the prince. Kuo then heads out to further prove his loyalty.

Chien Hsiao-hou does a great job fighting and acting wise. Though he's in no way the lead actor in the film.

The film has an excellent cast: Wang Li (Lord Bao), Lu Feng (Butterfly Hua), Kuo Chui (Black Fox), Lung Tien-chiang / spearman of death guy (Shen Zhong Yuan), Sun Chien (Yan Chun Min), Chiang Sheng (The River Rat).

The pacing is just fine. There's plenty of action interjecting the dialogue throughout the entire film and the storyline is solid.

The fighting throughout is superb, especially between Kuo Chui and Lu Feng, also near the end between Wang Li and his two opponents Chiang Sheng and his partner. Wang Li does this great move with his weapon. As Wang is engaged with Chiang and co. he locks his two hooked swords together by the hooks and swings them at his adversary then unhooks them and continues his barrage on his two opponents. Dosen't sound like much, but the seemless flow to this very well practiced choreographed scene is highly impressive. In fact, the choreographing throughout the film, especially near the end is incredibly well rehearsed. It flows very naturally and comes off extremely realistic as a result. Near the end of the film I found myself endlessly rewinding fight scenes to see just how well orchestrated they actually were. We're talking lighting fast, real speed, choreographing here.

(An after thought) you kinda get the feeling Chang Cheh was somewhat in someway trying to accomodate Kuo Chui and Lu Feng during their confrontations so as to not incite (actual) resentment with favoring either's role (or character) with being the more proficient killer while filming House Of Traps for fear of either actor possibly walking angrily off the set, as they are very evenly matched here. I don't know, just passed through my mind while watchin the end fights, especially.

As far as the put downs go, "just another injustice". :D

Oh, by the way, i'd definitely give this film a 8.5/10

Guest The Amazing Psychoper

Wow just saw a clip posted by magicpoe... The choreography

looks amazing!!! Still thinks the costumes are particularly

ugly:x , but the action seems to deliver... I sure hope I'll be able to get it soon.

The Amazing Psycho Per :evil

Was pretty dissapointed by this one. vengeanceofhumanlanterns' plot synopsis was spot on, but the story didn't grab me. I guess I expected more from the house. I'm going to try to watch it one more time & see if I feel different, but, as it stands right now, I'd rate Fantastic Magic Baby over House Of Traps.

Guest peringaten

This film played better in my head and hands before I put it in the player.

A nice atmosphere dulled down by too much exposition, and autopilot plottings alongside the innate elements that still make it worthy. Needed more trap-house focus, and a tad more action-centricity to grab me from what it actually is.

Loved the Kuo/Lu Feng fight, but besides astounding moves it didn't move me in the scheme of the whole, too many cuts away, too little focus upon it. Worth a recheck more than once, a scene here and there (particularly KC/LF) for briefly delivered catharsis for sure, but definitely lower-tier Venoms and Chang Cheh as I perceive.

Magnificent Ruffians on the other hand - ohh shit, yes. House not so much, and yet it looked most promising of the batch... time to go check some more. Good times.

Guest oldeschool17

I liked it. The house concept was cool. I dont understand why people complained that it didnt have enough fights as if that would make or break a movie. The end with Kuo Choi and his logic had me thinking, "huh"? Its not the best movie by the venoms nor do I think this should have been the "final" film of them. I certainly liked this more than 2 Champions of Shaolin though.

I liked it a lot more than Life Gamble. The disappointment is understandable though -- the movie has been built up for years as a lost classic, very hard to live up to that. I could just as easily see Five Deadly Venoms being a major let down if my viewing had been preceded by a decade of hype and anticipation, as opposed to stumbling across it on TV one afternoon and being blown away.

Guest Egocentrik1

without those TERRIBLE costumes it could have been watchable like any other venom film...what they thought to stick them into those circus like costums?

Guest TambaChibaYama  IchiFune

OMFG8o I had no clue Celestial recently released all those Venoms flix!! Not to mention all those other classics that finally got released! Where the hell have i been latley? Looks like I am going to have to bust out the credit card and get to ordering! Wow..it feels like christmas came early!!

Guest Ching li

Well i finally saw house of traps and i am very, very pleased. Excellent story and excellent fights. I enjoyed this more than life gamble. Definitely get a 10/10.

Archived