House of Traps (DVD - IVL)

Guest UrbanKungFu

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest teako170

For V-fans, 8/23 is going to be a day of rejoicing! :D

Not only are we getting MagRuf (one of the best V-films IMO) but the final two rare V's (which hopefully will not disappoint). I posted a trio of HoT pix a while back but here are two more....

traps4.jpg

traps5.jpg

Guest fabhui

I've heard most say that House of Traps is a tad on the crap side, is that due to the movie itself or down to the bad quality boot that is in circulation?

I've ordered it anyway! lol :D

Guest oldeschool17

probably a combination of both and because it wasnt as action packed as previous venom films and with the exception of lu feng and kuo choi, the rest of the venoms were underused.

city on fire has a review on it:

www.cityonfire.com/hkfilm...traps.html

joe909 states it has a lil more action than sword stained with royal blood, which sounds great to me cause im probably one of the few on here that liked that movie.

Guest Mantis FIST

I thought sword stained with royal blood was really good! Good swords and sword fighting.

Thanks for the images teako170

Guest BKarza

HoT has less action than Ode to Gallantry. There are really only 2 fights with a sprinkle or 2 of other action that isn't really mentionable.

LF has a sprinkle in the beginning. Chin Siu Ho has a sprinkle about 1/4 through. His stuff was not good. KC and LF go at it maybe 1/4 through. The end has LF against some feller. LF and Wang Li vs Lung Tien Sheng. LF vs KC and Chu Ko and Chiang Sheng vs Wang Li. Cheng Tien Chi completely wasted. Chu Ko doesn't do much of jack. Wang Li, Chiang Sheng and Tien Sheng only fight the one time.

It's a yap fest wih no action to make up for the yapping. While the end fight between LF and KC is stupid ridiculous, it is in no way on par with SSwRB.

I'd wait and see what the board thinks once it's released. The way things are going, it could have scenes in it we haven't seen before. I'm looking forward to checking out the disc.

Guest ignamelogin

Saw this in the theatres and instantly became one of my top favourites. I wasn't even into typical Chang Cheh gore at the time, but this one really turned me around. I've waited a long time for this one to come out and since it's my birthday this month, this will be the perfect gift! Even if it's only half as good as I remember, I'll be happy!

I'm sad that this will be the last year of Shaws form Celestial, but I've gotta admit, it's been a helluva ride. Heck, if you asked me just ten short years ago that I would finally get to see a bunch (if not 100s) of remastered Shaw flicks on easily obtainable commercial DVDs I would've laughed at you and then cried.

Guest Ko Fei

I've never seen House of Traps before and I'm tempted to order it. Whats it all about anyways. Is it on par with Golden Arms or say Flag of Iron? I loved those two and figured they might be of similar ratings.

Guest Kwok Choi

Golden Arms,Flag Of Iron and Sword Stained With Royal Blood are way too superior.Released in my neck of the wood as Shaolin House Of Traps the movie showed a lot of promise.It had everything going for it;smashing original poster,stills/lobby cards and a trailer to die for plus a cast at the height of it's game so the anticipation was huge.Anyway the problem is that the film is very badly structured.There are a lot of issues at fault here but at the end of the day the blame rests squarely on Chang Cheh's shoulders.That " House Of Traps " should have been the main draw of this film not so much the actors or anything else.You had the selling point of the film why let it go? If the film was called something else then features the " House " in the plot,it might have been ok.The main sin is the equivalent of " sinking Titanic in the first ten minutes of the film then try to tell the rest of the story in flashback "

The " House " was "fantabulously" introduced (you have to see this - buy the dvd for this scene alone) ok fine now you have really whetted my appetite for whats to come which should surpass what I've already experienced right? Well...........................this is the problem.Almost everyone is wasted in this film (forget about Sun Chien) ,a few fights here and there......yap yap yap...........and the at the end Kuo Chui as Black Fox (that why he is dressed like that) enters the "House" and just makes the whole effort look so ridiculous.Lu Feng is not bad though;you can notice some rivalry here as he and Kuo try to out do each other.

Anyway one thing to bear in mind is that when these films are released,there are a lot of other independent movies opening up at the same time so if House Of Traps was unfortunate to go head to head with say 7 Grandmasters,Snake In The Monkey's Shadow,Snake In The Eagle's Shadow.Born Invincible and The Prodigal Son,it will be lost in oblivion,become very rare indeed then resurface about this time.I am getting it though and even Coward Bastard simply because of Mr Nostalia who wins this contest.

Guest Karlos

Gotta say, I have ALWAYS wanted to see this!

This release, to me, is every bit as exciting as 7 Man Army (matchless), Naval Commandoes (a let down) and

SSWRB (a grower.)

Back in the early 90's, copies of HoT were changing hands here in the UK for $40 - upwards: and that was cheap! (Anyone remember the boot co, Filcks 'n' Kicks??!)

I simply cannot wait to finally view this - and in perfect quality, as well!

It almost feels like the perfect swansong from the Celestial releases (apart from all the other greats they've opted not to release, of course...bah!!) ;)

yo--back in the day when HOT was tradeing fo $40 or more did the rumoured english dub version ever surface? i only ask because some people on this forum have claimed that a dub version once existed. although there has never been any positive proof. thanks

Guest Karlos

Funny you should ask that, as it reminded me of the Flicks and Kicks order booklet - they claimed their copy of HoT was, in fact, an English dub.

I spoke to someone recently who actually sent for this - alas, they simply took his money and never sent the film!

He told me that the tales of an English dub of HoT are just that - tales, and there isn't one.

:(

Guest The Amazing Psychoper

Is it just me or the costumes looks partiularly bad in this, WTF are those bandanas Kuo Chui and Lu Feng are wearing?!?:lol

The Amazing Psycho Per :evil

Guest Kwok Choi

The 35mm print we showed in the early 80s of House Of Traps was definitely,absolutely and positively dubbed in English so I wouldn't rule out an English dubbed video in circulation.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns
The 35mm print we showed in the early 80s of House Of Traps was definitely,absolutely and positively dubbed in English so I wouldn't rule out an English dubbed video in circulation.

Oh? So who has it or where is it? If there actually is a surviving copy of this "eng. dubbed version" House Of Traps why hasn't somebody on this forum provided proof of it.

Guest Kwok Choi

Maybe nobody on this forum has it,has proof of it or wants to sell or trade.If it is available,it surely must be made known somehow.

Archived