Sex And Zen (1991)

legendarycurry

legendarycurry

Famous fan favorite Category 3 sex romp with the Penthouse stamp of approval of all things!
Stars Lawrence Cheng ( Storm Riders) as a lecherous and unlikable man who wishes to be more well-endowed so that his various sexploits are more successful. Amy Yip (Robotrix) shows plenty in this one and plays a sweet and beautiful woman who is quite creative in her use of calligraphy brushes, poor woman is put through the wringer for sure.

The film has wonderful cinematography that really transports you to another time, and all this is accomplished by solid music and gorgeous sets. All that really helps make this feel like a very classy affair, despite some of its content leaving a bad taste in your mouth (the loaf of bread and the horse comes to mind).

The "Sex" aspect is fairly well realized as it is often creative, sometimes gross, but never not memorable. the "Zen" aspect does play a part in this one and it very much informs the latter parts of the film when it goes from historical softcore comedy flick to Buddhist morality tale in a tonal shift that feels very HK Cinema from the (G)olden days.

Fans of Shaw Brothers legend and martial arts cinema veteran Lo Lieh (King Boxer) will have the "pleasure" of seeing him use his broadsword techniques to give a man a boner and to threaten a servant boy with said sword to felate said boner lest he be killed by Lo.

If Alyson Hannigan's exploits at band camp sound at all hot to you in the American Pie films, then I am sure one sequence in particular will float your boat from Sex and Zen, but as is the case with sex related things, your mileage will vary depending on what you find erotic in general.

But whether or not this film is titillating it sure as hell is entertaining, even if there are scenes I wouldn't wanna experience even with a horse's eyes again due to their grossness.

6,5/10

• Like 3

I saw this back when the Joy Sales DVD came out. Must have been more than 15 years ago. I found the film a bit boring back then and sold my DVD, but then I've never been a fan of plain soft core affairs lacking the action or thriller aspect of films like Robotrix, Run and Kill, Ebola Syndrome, Red to Kill etc.

I think I'd re-buy it now though, if 88 issued a nice LE. Now that lavish CAT III cinema like this is a thing of distant past, I think it might have more fascination to it.

• Like 3

legendarycurry
50 minutes ago, Takuma said:

I saw this back when the Joy Sales DVD came out. Must have been more than 15 years ago. I found the film a bit boring back then and sold my DVD, but then I've never been a fan of plain soft core affairs lacking the action or thriller aspect of films like Robotrix, Run and Kill, Ebola Syndrome, Red to Kill etc.

I think I'd re-buy it now though, if 88 issued a nice LE. Now that lavish CAT III cinema like this is a thing of distant past, I think it might have more fascination to it.

I actually found the sequel to be more enjoyable :) and yeah part of the appeal for me is the bygone era aspect for sure a sort of "they don't make em like they used to" thing. 

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
On 11/7/2022 at 3:06 PM, Takuma said:

I think I'd re-buy it now though, if 88 issued a nice LE.

Dreams come true…

• Like 1