"Drive-In Movie" and World Northal article

Guest Chris Poggiali

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest venomsfreak

Nice work, that really takes me back. That's where I got my first exposure to kung fu films every Saturday afternoon. The first movie I ever saw was The 5 Deadly Venoms and I was instantly hooked.

Excellent article.

Guest venomchamber

I documented this very same info (with Godzilla and Hammer films as well) into a journal that has long since been misplaced!

I am so glad to see someone else has made the effort to research, compile, and share this info with the masses in such detail, images and all! Superb job, excellent work! Kudos to you! :eek

This is without a doubt the definitive source of World Northal's Drive-In Movie history! :D

What's more, many of the statements in regards to the distribution of such films were echoed by me in a previous post many moons ago and shot down by several other posters as being incorrect and/or opinionated. Your article validated some of my previous statements. ;)

Again, thanks for posting this marvellous information for the martial world to see!

Cheers!

with my sincerest warm regards...

Guest teako170

Yes, the clips took me back. Plus, I enjoyed seeing the full schedule. 1984 was an especially good year though I missed much of it. I hope someone compiles a similar listing for Channel 29 someday as well. I know I saw Dreadnaught on BB Theater but it didn't appear on the WNEW list.

Guest Chris Poggiali

Hi everyone -- Thanks for your wonderful comments about the article. My first exposure to the Shaw Brothers movies was via "Drive-In Movie" and the World Northal packages; I never realized just how influential those packages were until I got to college in upstate New York in '88 and met a bunch of downstate New Yorkers around my age who had grown up watching the same movies. We had an urban video store right down the street that had - no joke - an entire wall of the bootlegged World Northal prints on VHS. We used to rent a few a week and would occasionally do an all-night fest in the dorm lounge. THE FIVE DEADLY VENOMS, DIRTY HO and THE KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM were the most popular.

Guest Jesse Smooth

I'm sure that this has been asked before, but what happened to the 33mm prints? I mean, they can't magically disapear. Whoever has the WN prints are sitting on a goldmine. Imagine if only they (World Northal) were to release them on VHS themselves back in the day.

Sadly, they are probably being locked up somewhere deteriorating.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Yep, back in the day I knew when I saw the yellow World Northal logo over the black backdrop and that eerie music that accomponied it that I was in for some fun!

Guest MIXPRO68

:) Wow That Was A Very Good Article-man That You Tube Clip Promo Of Fists Of Fury Theater And Drive In Theater Made Me Travel Back To Saturday Afternoons Back In The 80's. It Really Makes Me Wish They Would Bring That Back For The New Generation To Watch And Enjoy.

I Remember That Once 3:00pm Hit On A Saturday Afternoon-the Streets Around My Way Would Get Deserted For 2 Hours Because People Would Not Want To Miss The Latest Kung Fu Movie. Then Afterwards ,we Would Go Out Side As Kids And Talk About It Or Try Out The Techniques We Saw. Boy-those Were The Days!!!!:)

Archived