5 Superfighters: 'A' for kung / 'F' for plot

Guest teako170

Guest teako170

Maybe that's a bit harsh but while I was impressed -- dare I say "super" impressed? -- with all that action Lo Mar was throwing at me ... I cannot believe he just left Kwan Feng's character hanging out in the breeze.

Where's the big payoff?

I was expecting some momentous revelation at the end where we found out the antagonist was...

- once a fellow brother of Hau Chiu Sing

- a misguided sole tricked into seeking revenge

- pissed off that the Phillies got swept by the Rockies

Something. Anything.

Nope. He has nothing but Kung Fu (even that film had an inkling of plot) and all we have is some nice eye candy. Sigh ... oh well. End rant.....

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest peringaten

Edit: Nevermind! *Damned erroneous posting over a momentary webby glitch.*

Errmm... Waste not, want not, add on to above post, then: I guess because he's a badass? Works for me. Yeah, probably... because he's a badass.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Well there's no use in trying to find anything deep in a film like this, just enjoy it for what it is, and that's great kung fu action! ;)

Guest Kwok Choi

Teako I understand your frustration and it is actually good that you brought this up.It was simply a new trend or formula that began at around 1978 and continued till the late 80s.This trend almost killed the genre in terms of overall quality in favour of kung fu.It was a case of shoestring budgets for mega profit versus magnum opuses for less profit;in short quick cash with no frills.Films naturally are hard to make so if there's a way for commercial films to rake in the money while compromising other aspects,film makers would definitely take advantage of this.

The stupendous success of Snake In The Eagle's Shadow which more than deserves it's niche led to the turnout of similar films.Hundreds came out amongst which 7 Grandmasters and Snake In The Monkey's Shadow were also extremely successful.

This trend was started by small independent companies and the biggies soon took note hence Monkey Kung Fu ,Mad Monkey Kung Fu,5 Superfighters etc from Shaws and Knockabout,Young Master,Magnificient Butcher etc from Golden Harvest.While Shaws did not thrive on this as they epitomised quality,Golden Harvest made some real classics with this formula at the time.

Unfortunately everyone jumped on the bandwagon and thats when the trash really started coming out to such an extent that even die hard fans started complaining about how very basic,immature and predictable the movies had become which was the first nail in the coffin for this type of Hong Kong and Taiwan cinema.Luckily the Ninja movies started appearing on the horizon (but soon to be bastardized by Godfrey Ho) then Sammo Hung,Jackie Chan and Yuen Biao took heed and moved in a modern direction adding a touch of Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton regenerating the genre.

Being fortunate to be at an age were I have watched and can chronicle the release of Hong Kong films in cinemas since 1970 I can proudly raise up my hand and say in my opinion the best films in term of creative and artistic value were made between 1970 - 1978 and most of these where bashers.Sadly they were low budget and technically inferior but the majority of them had good plots,story,characters,and marvellous fights eg Conspiracy Of Thieves.

There were also good late 60s swordplay movies that were re-released in the 70s but honestly they were not so popular in my neck of the woods as " bashers " so Teako thanks for re-igniting a bit of nostalgia in me this morning.

Guest Iron Boat

I just always wondered why they killed the guy at the end, I mean when he showed up to correct their bad Kung Fu, he didn't kill them. Maybe he should of...|I

Guest teako170
I just always wondered why they killed the guy at the end, I mean when he showed up to correct their bad Kung Fu, he didn't kill them.

** spoiler **

Exactly. He was a bully at best, not some hell bent killer.

His death at the end was hardly a call for celebration.

Guest peringaten

Hooray for somewhat unjustified kung-movie character killings! I'll take totally unjustified too. Not sick or nothing, I just like all that stuff.

Guest Chinatown Kid

One thing about a film like 5 Superfighters or Monkey Kung Fu is that you never get bored because there's a fight at least every 5 minutes. :lol

Guest teako170
Not sick or nothing, I just like all that stuff.
Ewww.. you'se sick man of Asia, ain't ya? ;)

you never get bored because there's a fight at least every 5 minutes.
True though if Lo Mar wanted to make it REALLY good, he should've thrown a couple of V-boys in there for some cameos (Oh, I'm sorry Venom haters - did I type that aloud?) :lol

Guest danmye2007

I think everyone is missing 1 essential element as to why they killed him...He brought out his spear, which forced the opposition, beginning with their master's counter use of the broadsword, to up the stakes.

Guest will91XingYu

The film was ok, but the last 20 minutes is the best end fight ive seen in my opinion, its my faviroute along with Flashpoint, it's so cool, why didnt Tony Leung star in more films he has mad skills!

The film was ok, but the last 20 minutes is the best end fight ive seen in my opinion, its my faviroute along with Flashpoint, it's so cool, why didnt Tony Leung star in more films he has mad skills!

Well, I know Tony Leung was more relegated to more small roles. I mean, look at Duel of the Seven Tigers. He had a great fight scene against Sharon Yeung Pan-Pan. At least he is responsible for bringing some of the great HK style to American films. He was the action director behind Seasonal's No Retreat No Surrender 3, King of the Kickboxers, Superfights, and Bloodmoon, not to mention he is the chairman of the Hong Kong Stuntman Association. He last worked on a horror action film, Seven Mummies. Learning that he is the brother of Bruce Leung Siu-Lung, I can why after seeing his kicking style...that's why I love seeing Five Superfighters from time to time.

I loved Hau Chiu-Sing's Drunken Sword technique as well in the film.

I guess this movie has some-kind-of classic reputation but it`s not deserved in my opinion.Most of movie is pretty weak attempt to cash-on after success of Mr.Chan movies.

Lo Mars Monkey Kung-Fu is far superior.

Plot and acting are not good.Director has 3 Student-Master relationship but only flexible widow character is bit interesting.Comedy which includes peeing to feet at least did not make me :D.

Can`t help to compare fights to Monkey Kung-Fu and most of time in Superfighters they lose 10-4.

However ending is mindblowing.12 mins fight in teahouse when 3 students attacks corrector is one of finest seen and it gets better when drunk teacher joins into fray.That makes movie worth watching.

Archived