Discotek releases

Guest mike robert

My mistake, i think i was confusing it with the dutch release i had which was not anamorphic. Either way this is a classic film one of the best in that period.

The great news is that they are also doing colour correction. For some reason many companies, including Toei themselves, no longer do that. Here in Japan I get to see a lot of these films from beautiful 35mm prints (including this one), and they are NOT green like many of the lame digital masters that really pale in comparison.
- https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/st...30663465041921

• Like 5

I know absolutely nothing about Pinky Violence. I barely know what it means. Am I right in thinking they’re violent sleaze? Anyway, I just watched the trailer for this movie and it will definitely be the first Pinky Violence movie I buy. It looks right up my alley! Blood, boobs, exploitation, sleaze… Yea please! I may have found a new sub genre for me to dip my toes into.

• Like 3

Is it possible to turn this into a Discotek Thread? They released Shogun's Samurai last month as well, and I'd imagine they've got more titles like both of these in store.

I'm super excited for this one since I've only seen Ishii's Horrors of Malformed Men and this looks badass.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I know absolutely nothing about Pinky Violence. I barely know what it means. Am I right in thinking they’re violent sleaze? Anyway, I just watched the trailer for this movie and it will definitely be the first Pinky Violence movie I buy. It looks right up my alley! Blood, boobs, exploitation, sleaze… Yea please! I may have found a new sub genre for me to dip my toes into.

You’re in for a treat! Pinky Violence is considered by many the greatest film genre ever!

I could go into way too much detail about to production roots, but basically Pinky Violence was Toei’s bad girl cinema from late 60s to mid 70s (by looser definition also by other studios). It came in two main waves: first the late 60s Teruo Ishii ero guro films, and then early 70s delinquent girl / women in prison / female yakuza action thrillers. Though packed with nudity and beautiful women, the latter wave in particular were also quite progressive for being all about girls kicking male ass and rebelling against gender roles.

For comparison, the 70s Pam Grier films and some Hong Kong films like Big Bad Sis, Sexy Killer and Virgins of the Seven Seas come closest, but none of those had quite the style and technical level of skill that most of the Pinky Violence had. The cinematography in these films was always terrific, sometimes near Dario Argento level, and they were packed with groovy scores. There’s a fight sequence in Sex and Fury that I consider one of the most stylish ever filmed (and Reiko Ike happens to be completely naked in it).

Some of the main works of the 70s wave include:

The Delinquent Girl Boss series (1970-1971)

The Girl Boss series (1971-1974)

The Terrifying Girls’ High School series (1972-1973)

The Female Prisoner Scorpion series (1972-1977)

Criminal Woman: Killing Melody (1973)

Sex and Fury (1973)

Female Yakuza Tale (1973)

School of the Holy Beast (1974)

Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs (1974)

I’d especially recommend Criminal Woman: Killing Melody (1973), Terrifying Girls’ High School: Lynch Law Classroom (1973), Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 (1972) and Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs (1974), and but there’s not a bad film among the longer list above. Of course there’s a lot more than that, partly because the definition of Pinky Violence is so loose (that’s because it’s not an actual genre: it’s a posthumous construct coined by film critics J. Taro Sugisaku and Takeshi Uechi 20 years after these films had been made when they grouped a number of similar films together and christened them “Pinky Violence”.  

Image Image

Terrifying Girls' High School: Lynch Law Classroom
Image Image

Terrifying Girls' High School: Women's Violent Classroom and Girl Boss Blues: Queen Bee's Counterattack
Image Image

Sex and Fury and Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs
Image Image

Sex and Fury

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

To continue my previous post, this is what I meant when I said these films were seriously stylish (actual screen captures)

Sex and Fury

Female Yakuza Tale

Bohachi Bushido: Code of the Forgotten Eight

School of the Holy Beast

pv22.jpg

Female Prisoner#701: Scorpion

Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41

Delinquent Girl Boss: Ballad of Yokohama Hoods

Delinquent Girl Boss: Worthless to Confess

Criminal Woman: Killing Melody

Edited by Takuma
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Takuma said:

There’s a fight sequence in Sex and Fury that I consider one of the most stylish ever filmed (and Reiko Ike happens to be completely naked in it).

I know what scene you're referring to and I absolutely, absolutely love it!! 

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Thank you @Takuma. These really do look like something I’d love. I hope he we get more Blu Ray releases as I’ve pretty much given up on DVD buying these days.

Hyped to be able to discover a new avenue of Asian cinema!

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer

For the anime fans out there, Discotek will be releasing 'Project A-Ko 3: Cinderella Rhapsody' on December 27th - 

Impace.thumb.jpg.8360ddc9efca996979d975404b7e6e40.jpg

• Like 1

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-10-24/discotek-licenses-aim-for-the-ace-gaogaigar-series-and-final-ova/.191185

Discotek Media also licensed the live-action Another horror film, Sion Sono's live-action Suicide Club film, and the 1973 live-action Golgo 13 film. All three films will ship on Blu-ray Disc in winter 2023 in Japanese with English subtitles. Discotek Media will also release the Kamen Rider BLACK tokusatsu series on Blu-ray Disc "later" in 2023.

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer

Takashi Harada's 1974 samurai flick 'Bohachi Bushido: The Villain' has also been added to the Discotek slate for later in the year - 

bohachi.JPG.a70d863c01688eccf3364d53b4aabc8f.JPG

• Like 4

Great to see this coming, even if it isn't nearly as good as Teruo Ishii's heavenly masterpiece Bohachi Bushido: Code of the Forgotten Eight (1973). My main gripe with this sequel is that it's actually a direct remake of the original, only with Goro Ibuki in Tetsuro Tamba's role and Reiko Ike as new addition.

But don't let that put you off. This is still essential for any 70s Japanese genre film / pinky violence / Reiko Ike fan. I'll be buying it for sure.

Let's hope Toei will do the original film in HD soon, and also Takashi Harada and Goro Ibuki's later, superior Kazuo Koike manga adaptation Hanjiro, A Great Philanderer (下苅り半次郎 マル秘観音を探せ) (1975) which is a pretty insane ninja sexploitation adventure, though much less action packed than the Bohachi bushido films.

• Like 4

Whats weird to me is that's twice now Discotek is releasing arguably the lesser of a series of movies. Female Yakuza Tale instead of Sex and Fury, and Villain instead of Code of the Forgotten Eight. So who has the other movies?

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 11:20 AM, Scottfu said:

Whats weird to me is that's twice now Discotek is releasing arguably the lesser of a series of movies. Female Yakuza Tale instead of Sex and Fury, and Villain instead of Code of the Forgotten Eight. So who has the other movies?

With Bohachi Bushido the problem is that Toei doesn't have an HD master for it, which is no doubt the reason it hasn't been picked up by anyone. With Sex and Fury I believe there is the same issue, but there's also something additional going on. Mondo Macabro mentioned last year when the topic came up that they'd love to release School of the Holy Beast but rights for Norifumi Suzuki films were not available. It is not clear what exactly that meant. Personally I'm praying it means Arrow are working on Suzukiscope :laugh though that may not be it.

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer

More Pinky Violence is coming on July 26th courtesy of 1973's 'Terrifying Girls' Highschool: Animal Classmates'. @Takuma - should we be all in?

Terrifying.JPG.fab79e42f61836488b60d09d5071306b.JPG 

• Like 4

On 5/4/2023 at 3:21 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

More Pinky Violence is coming on July 26th courtesy of 1973's 'Terrifying Girls' Highschool: Animal Classmates'. @Takuma - should we be all in?

I sold my Toei DVD 10 years ago and always kinda regretted it. The weakest film in the series IMO but I'll still pick it up! Pinky Violence is always a must!

I just hope Toei has done a new scan. The HD versions they are airing on Toei Channel (for the entire series) are the 15 year old scans originally made for DVD releases, and those scans were inferior to Panik House's Lynch Law Classroom. I mean they look ok in genuine HD but could certainly be improved upon with a new scan. EDIT: never mid that, screencaps from the Discotek disc look fine:

If you're wondering why they are releasing part 4 of the series instead of part 1, this is likely the reason:

- https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=19720650&postcount=16814

Though I'm still confused why they they announced the 4th film only and not the 3rd also (neither one are Suzuki films, unlike the first two).

Edited by Takuma
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I really hope discotek are talking about the Twilight Time blu ray and not the Eureka release here.:sweating

Screenshot_2023-07-31 💿Discotek Media ( discotekmedia) X.png

Currently half way through The Bullet Train blu. I didn't expect the film to be that long.