Discotek releases

Guest mike robert

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Ive been holding out on buying bootleg versions of Sogo Ishii's Electric Dragon for a couple of years now. I remember reading that either TLA or Unearthed was going to release this on R1 DVD. I also saw the trailer for it on one of my R1 discs recently (cant remember which one). Anybody have any info??

Guest Yakuza954

This movie is great!! The entire thing is filmed in black and white, there are action scenes littered throughout, and the soundtrack almost made my house collapse.

ToothbrushFu

Discotek picked up the US DVD rights for Burning Paradise. Their website currently lists a bunch of titles for "before the end of the year" and some for "a little later" (presumably meaning 2009). Burning Paradise is one of the latter.

The Running Man

Yeah with Diskotek planning a release of this, it will pretty much be definitive. :)

Funny though, HKL had the rights to this and never bothered to put it out.

Guest WuxiaFan

Here's the latest from Discotek's website under News posted 4/25/09:

Burning Paradise: we are getting ready to get the master so hopefully that one is in better condition. The Taxi Hunter master also has a lot of dirt and we’re also looking at cleanup options on that before we set a street date. These three titles are going to be released, but with the time and cost of cleanup we have to take them one at a time.

Full article here:

http://www.discotekmedia.com/blog/?p=27#more-27

I love Discotek Media's discs! I have BLIND WOMAN'S CURSE and BOHACHI BUSHIDO: CODE OF THE FORGOTTEN EIGHT. The transfers are near flawless and the subs are well written and easy to read.

Morgoth Bauglir

I was wondering if there is a fully uncut version on DVD or VHS of Ebola Syndrome? I recently got the Discotek version. Awesome DVD. After I watched the deleted scenes, I couldn’t help but think about how much better the movie would be if those cuts were left in.

There's no uncut version as of now. Considering that these scenes were obtained and remastered (which would be a great reason to insert scenes in an actual cut version), Discotek Media could've just used seamless branching to realize the uncut version but is something most companies just ignore. It's a shame.

Morgoth Bauglir

Thanks for the info. I agree. That is a shame. The DVD is great. I wish there were more DVDs like this that gave fans what they want. But maybe it was too hard of a process to insert the scenes back in perffectly. There were a lot of cuts. I don't know anything about making DVDs, but it seems like it would be a long process. What a shame.

If someone makes a good uncut version, I'll buy one, even if the price is a bit steep. I'm sure others would too.

I don't recall, but a Discotek rep stated that back when the disc first came out. Not sure why the director was so against the footage being put back in, but I think there were some fan versions which reinstated the footage into the film.

Amazon Link

Just got the Message from Space disc yesterday from Amazon and it is a fantastic presentation of the film. Anamorphic widescreen, Japanese and English audio tracks, Chinese and English subtitles - all region. The English subtitles are very thorough - all the opening credits are subbed. There are a bunch of the original Japanese trailers for the film included as extras, as well as a nice photo gallery.

The disc is credited to Eastern Star HK. Eastern Star = Discotek, so I think they actually produced this disc. Probably licensed it for HK and are "importing" it back to the US.

Anyway, if you are fan of this film (and I LOVE this movie) then this is the disc to get.

qOSmIJCHqcQ

Thanks a million for the heads up.

This film has been crying out for a decent, subbed release since forever!!

:bigsmile:

Stuntman Jules
Cool! Thanks for the link, Ronin.

CHIBA + SANADA + SHIHOMI + Eng Subs = must get DVD! :smile:

Plus the direction of Kinji Fukasaku aka The Man (Battles Without Honor, Battle Royale) and Vic Morrow finding glowing walnuts in his scotch. It is a film of undeniable sexiness.

Those expecting a Chiba action fest will be disappointed, this is a purely "SF" film. Chiba fights Mikio Narita's silver skinned Rockseia by sword, but that's about it.

It's a wonderful film, very 70s. It was made to cash in on Star Wars (Lucas totally saw this film and used its finale for Return of the Jedi, ironically) but it owes just as much to Satomi Hakkenden, the Japanese epic novel which Fukasaku would later apart into Legend of the Eight Samurai. Message From Space is dated badly, but that just makes it more wonderful to me. Tell me the trailer above doesn't make your heart sore with delight. It's like Inframan in many ways, but with a little more heart.

I'm probably gonna scoop this up, even though it looks like a bootleg.

As Stuntman Jules put it, it's a wonderful film - not only the best of the 70s Star Wars rip offs but a fun flick in it's own right, too.

It's a shame it still hasn't really had a wide release here in the West where it's still unfairly derided. Perhaps now a subbed print is out that might change and the film can finally shed an image it doesn't deserve.

And Lucas totally ripped it off for Return of the Jedi, absolutely!!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Agree with Jules and Karlos- with the availability of this new widescreen print (subbed or dubbed options), I think this film will get a big following. Thank you Discotek! :nerd: