The Assistant (2022) - Adrian Teh (Malaysia)

laagi

This one will require a bit of patience especially in the beginning. Thankfully the story is intriguing enough to keep you interested.

At its core The Assistant is a basic revenge story. Which for the most part doesn't hold any surprises whatsoever. And yes you can see a lot of what's gonna happen a mile away.

However, there is one rather cleverly intertwined twist which helps the movie to some degree stand out.

Also I feel like it's been ages I watched something (new) Martial Arts related. Not to mention from Malaysia of all places. Which probably made me a lot more forgiving.

I love to see how different countries, their stunt team, actors etc. handle action. There's always the common denominator but each of them usually feature their own "flavor" if so to speak. Even if it's just the setting or language it can already make a difference.

In terms of action nothing is outstanding but for the most part solid craftsmanship. Also and that's something I can't stress enough the action is grounded. Minimal to No wire-work, slow-mow, CGI or any other of the usual suspects (still) plaguing a lot of productions.

The highlight are two lengthy one-one fight scenes at the end of the movie. I found these to be rather enjoyable.

Overall The Assistant is a good effort. Which could've benefited from a few tweaks and cuts here and there. Nonetheless recommended.

• Like 2