Extraction 2 (2023) Netflix - Sam Hargrave, Chris Hemsworth

laagi

41 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Hemsworth announced at a recent event that Extraction 3 is already in the works.

BaSN.gif

• Haha 1

Super Ninja

Let me make this 3:2 in favor of our man Sam, if I'm counting it right. I think we got an even better sequel that, truth to be told, does simply recycle the concept of the original, but takes things up a notch. So once again it's one extraction mission, loads of action and a faux one-take that has everybody talking. And it's for a reason. This oner easily makes action cinema best of compilation, it was grandiose.

I didn't mind the simple plot the first time, so neither was it a problem this time around.

Rewatching the first and watching this sequel the same week, it's my opinion that Hargrave's strenght is not in creating completely original action sequences or changing the game, but doing a high quality mash-up and going nuts with it. You may have seen it all, or most of it, before, but thrown at your face with this much enthusiasm, ambition and this masterfully executed, it has all the effect it needs and it does impress.

One thing that surprised me even with the original, was just how good of a director Hargrave actually is. While the script is arguably the weak point, Hargrave delivers both tension and emotion, and you know the action is something you need not worry about. I only wish the

Spoiler

Hargrave vs. Bernhardt fight was longer. 

So yeah, I'm quite pleased and think this is one of those rare sequels that are even better than the original. Someone must have taught Hargrave it's not wise to butcher his lead character but rather to always have an ending allowing another sequel. I'd say E2 will be successful and E3 is happening and now I see this has already been confirmed. 

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
16 hours ago, laagi said:

True but what exactly did ExtractIIon add as compared to the first one besides more explosions and shoot outs? They literally spend 10 minutes between Rake's recovery and resurgence, before throwing him back into action. And if I recall correctly that was supposedly a time span of 9 months!

Yeah, 9 months, then a quick 6 weeks to get in shape after he decides to accept the job. :tongueout All of your points are valid, I think the reason why I gained so much enjoyment from the sequel is that I also believe they apply to the original. Flimsy story, minimum characterization, and most dialogue is there to bridge from one action scene to the next. For me that still delivered a solid action movie, so the fact that the only thing the sequel improves on is to add "more explosions and shoot outs" is pretty much exactly what I wanted, and to that end it delivered! Sometimes I can be a shallow guy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Half way thru (just got past the prison punch-up and Hemsworth's Iron Fist homage) and I'm loving this.

The technical aspects are incredibly impressive during the action scenes and it's always just so great to get a straight up meat and potatoes actioner that really delivers.

Like Wick 4, the story, dialogue and characterisation take a back seat to the beautiful mayhem and that's totally cool.

• Like 4

I don't remember much from the first movie but after watching this sequel, I think I need to watch the original again. I had an absolute fun ride watching the movie from start to finish. Every action set-piece was staged and executed in ways that really caught me by huge surprise. You can tell some Hollywood stunt/action coordinators have been taking notes from Asian cinema in the past 15 years, and with that knowledge have succeeded doing work that rivals, and even surpasses some of their Asian counterparts. The movie has everything: Shoot-outs, weapons/hand-to-hand combat, vehicle chases, explosions etc. Being inspired leads to further inspiration of doing great and better, and the cycle goes on. That's the beauty of it, the art of action-filmmaking: Create a standard, share it, and then improve it to set new standards.

As for the story and the characters, it's indeed conventional and yet another action movie going through the motions. But like I've said previously, this shouldn't be an issue unless you want these types of movies to use original storylines and new ways to present their characters. Then may I dare ask: Has there been any action movie in the last 15 years to have great action scenes to go along with stories and characters that no other action movie (or movies in general) has EVER told before? If you ask me though, in my opinion originality in movie genres are no longer relevant because it has been irrelevant for so many years. The only thing filmmakers can do now is to distinguish their works to give them a certain appeal or a distinct look that feels fresh and different from other movies.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 5