Gran Turismo (2023) - David Harbour, Orlando Bloom, Archie Madekwe, Djimon Hounsou, Geri Halliwell-Horner

AlbertV

62210f4f04579d001893dfdb?width=700

Neill Blomkamp is directing a live-action adaptation of the video game franchise Gran Turismo for Sony Pictures and PlayStation Productions. Jason Hall and Zack Baylin wrote the script, in which a gamer who will get a chance to live his dream to become a professional race car driver. David Harbour has been cast as a retired driver who will serve as the gamer's mentor. The film has locked in a release date of August 11, 2023.

The film is based not only on the video game, but on the true story of Jann Mardenborough, who in fact did win a series of GT competitions sponsored by Nissan to become an actual race car driver.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/meet-the-gran-turismo-player-now-driving-race-cars-for-real/1100-6419397/ (Here's the article on Mardenborough's path from gamer to real-life racer)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/david-harbour-gran-turismo-sony-playstation-1235220238/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Whoa never expected to see a movie based off this game. Kind of a weird game to turn into a movie since the game has no original story.

• Like 2

Archie Madekwe plays Jann Mardenborough with Djimon Hounsou and Geri Halliwell-Horner playing his parents. Drones were used for some of the racing scenes. The film comes out in August.

The real Jann Mardenborough

Jann_Mardenborough_Nissan_2011_2017_2.jp

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

Drunken Monk

Geri Halliwell's in this film? Bizarre casting. I don't exactly remember her delivery a Daniel Day Lewis level performance in Spice World.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

Geri Halliwell's in this film? Bizarre casting. I don't exactly remember her delivery a Daniel Day Lewis level performance in Spice World.

I think it's a small role. She plays Jann Mardenborough's mother plus her real-life husband is I think a  Formula One racer like Mardenborough so that could be why she was cast. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

PandaPawPaw
30 minutes ago, Agent U said:

My thoughts seeing the trailer:

Anyway, critics seem rather split on it, judging by Rotten Tomatoes.

I was going to say I'd rather watch a DBZ live action but oh wait.....................

:wink

So I thought I'd watch it and saw it's 2hr 14mins! WTF! Why does a GT movie have to be that long!

5mins in and I'm already hating it........................................

Now Orlando Bloom's appeared, ugh!

Edited by PandaPawPaw

Good:

The GT License bits were good and I actually enjoyed that.

Car sounds are meaty. Vrooooom! Vrooooom!

Japan.

Castrol Toms Supra being featured in it is ACE as it's one of my fave cars.

Djimon Hounsou did all the best acting.

David Harbour was solid.

Bad:

Meh story. Yeah it's cool and all that, that a guy playing a racing game can go on to win actual races but it doesn't make for a good movie.

Lead actor was annoying and talked funny. Couldn't give a shit about him.

Geri Horner looked so out of place and can't act for shit. Probably only in it because of who she's married to.

No boobs.

Orlando Blooms character was annoying and him trying to act like a 'geezer'.

The villain if you want to call him that was lame and forgettable.

The CGI stood out like a sore thumb! For a game like GT trying to look as realistic as possible, the CGI in this looked worse.

No boobs.

Too fucking long!

The constant Nissan, GT, Sony product placement gets annoying real fast! WE GET IT ALREADY!

Boring soundtrack.

I'm off to play Surgeon Simulator in preparation for the heart transplant I've got to perform in the evening for the old bird down the road.

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Like 1