Worst three year stretch in martial arts cinema?

Iron_Leopard

Which three years in a row was the worst stretch for martial arts movies?

It can be for any reason. Either the movies in this stretch were horrible or because maybe nothing came out at all.

My guess would probably be in the late 90s. Maybe 97, 98, 99. When the industry was practically dead before it was revived the following year with CTHD.

Edited by Iron_Leopard
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Which three years in a row was the worst stretch for martial arts movies?

It can be for any reason. Either the movies in this stretch were horrible or because maybe nothing came out at all.

My guess would probably be in the late 90s. Maybe 97, 98, 99. When the industry was practically dead before it was revived the following year with CTHD.

What is CTHD ? Could you please give the full titles of the movies you mention ? Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

17 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

What is CTHD ? Could you please give the full titles of the movies you mention ? Thanks.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I don't usually abbreviate but I figured that one was really well known. Sorry.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I don't usually abbreviate but I figured that one was really well known. Sorry.

Thanks. Well, for me, this movie wasn't interesting at all. I was so disappointed when I watched it after having heard so many good critics ! Maybe it revived the genre, but it has never been my cup of tea !

Yes, sure that this abbreviation must be well know for English people, but in France, the movie is knwn as Tigre et Dragon, and I hadn't made the link between the two titles... And in addition to that, I don't really pay attention to the years of the movies : all what I'm interested in are the actors, the story, the action and the music...

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

2016-Now

I'm just not liking nowadays Martial Arts films as much, they're just not filmed and storied in the way I enjoy.

I love Scott Adtkins and what he does, but I'm not the biggest Post IP Man Donnie Yen fan, so alot of current Martial Arts films are lacking IMO...

Edited by BigDruDogg
  • Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

1 hour ago, Cognoscente said:

97-99 sounds about right for HK, but it was the other way round for US - Bloodmoon (1997), Drive (1998) and Cold Harvest (1999).

What was Jackie putting out in this time period? I'm drawing a blank right now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

What was Jackie putting out in this time period? I'm drawing a blank right now.

Mr. Nice Guy
Who Am I?
Rush Hour
Gorgeous

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

Jackie's so-so efforts in the late '90s are probably better than what Jet Li was doing around that time.

Jet Li had:

Once Upon a Time in China and America (which I like)
Lethal Weapon 4 (which is fun)
Hitman (which I like)

It wasn't a particularly bad time for him.

• Like 2

I thought that Mr. Nice Guy had more creative fights, and even the anti-climatic rope battle was something different instead of Jet rehashing the belt bit from Fist of Legend.

• Like 1

I have to agree. Just tons of wire work and honestly the mainland stuff with it's revisionist histories gets sickening. I mean I get China fuck yeah! like the USA did in the 80's but there is such a smug worship of wealth and status. My understanding is that the PRC doesn't want to focus on peasant uprisings, they 'd rather just pretend it all just sort of happened in 1949. Don't want the common filth and hicks to get any ideas. I mean as I've said before the whole appeal was to the underdog in us all.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I have to agree. Just tons of wire work and honestly the mainland stuff with it's revisionist histories gets sickening. I mean I get China fuck yeah! like the USA did in the 80's but there is such a smug worship of wealth and status. My understanding is that the PRC doesn't want to focus on peasant uprisings, they 'd rather just pretend it all just sort of happened in 1949. Don't want the common filth and hicks to get any ideas. I mean as I've said before the whole appeal was to the underdog in us all.

Ironically, there was a time when Taiwan was the Chinese country with the capitalistic reputation, and the Mainland was the one with country bumpkin status.

• Like 2