Done with Bruce Lee after reading "Drug Letters"

shukocarl1441996347

sifu iron perm
28 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

Imagine if Bruce had lived long enough to star in Breaking Bad.

Or Breakin Too Electric Boogaloo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

As a former drug dealer, I approve of Bruce's entrepreneurial spirit. This makes me like him more.

+1

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

You have to wonder if the likes of Norris, Wall, Inosanto, Ted Wong, Wu Ngan etc knew what was going on and all stayed silent. They all visited with Lee at some point in Hong Kong between 72 and 73...

Wall mentioned Bruce ingesting hashish in the Penthouse article, IIRC, and got mostly guff from the disbelieving fandom(and I think Linda's lawyer called him up with some threats).  So he walked back those comments when he realized he could also make some money off his association with Bruce.  I think all those guys knew there was no money to be made talking about Bruce's flaws.  Remember, they didn't make Bruce into kung fu Jesus, the fans did.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Bruce must have been more connected as a hoodlum than we thought.

This is what he was quoted as saying about an ETD challenger in a book called The Incomparable Fighter: "I knew the kid had no chance with me so I just fooled around. Nobody can lay a hand on me right now. But it's too bad what happened to the kid later. He got killed the next day; I heard that he got stabbed to death. Hong Kong is a strange place. Not like the U.S. When a guy tries to put you down and you're a hero with the fans, the fans will do most anything. See, when the kid challenged me, he was putting me down in the minds of some fans. They got angry and killed him. I've got no idea who did it. Chances are he got killed by one or several guys who I've never met. It's not uncommon for someone to kill for something small like that."

Those "fans" could have been his followers in crime.

According to Clouse's ETD book, BL broke another challenger's ribs with a side kick and gave his mother $10,000 to pay for his hospital bill. That's an awful lot of money to throw around for someone who was barely making bread.

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

shukocarl1441996347
On 9/16/2022 at 1:09 PM, Deyan80 said:

Can we browse throughout your collection on some site when you put them for sale or it will be a private/close friends sell?

M

Edited by shukocarl1441996347

I find Bruce's fall from demi-god status less jarring than finding out Jackie Chan is a massive letdown. Maybe becasue Bruce couldn't keep making bad movies to symbolise his decline, as he is, you know, dead.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I find Bruce's fall from demi-god status less jarring than finding out Jackie Chan is a massive letdown. Maybe becasue Bruce couldn't keep making bad movies to symbolise his decline, as he is, you know, dead.

Hey, c'mon.  Jackie's output was overwhelmingly good-to-great for about three decades.  And even after that, some of the later stuff is pretty decent - New Police Story and Chinese Zodiac are on par with some of his better 90s films.  As undignified as The Tuxedo was, it didn't erase Drunken Master from existence.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, starschwar said:

Hey, c'mon.  Jackie's output was overwhelmingly good-to-great for about three decades.  And even after that, some of the later stuff is pretty decent - New Police Story and Chinese Zodiac are on par with some of his better 90s films.  As undignified as The Tuxedo was, it didn't erase Drunken Master from existence.

I agree, New Police Story was one hell of a movie and shows he still got it. 

• Like 3

TheKungFuRobber
On 9/10/2022 at 11:07 AM, shukocarl1441996347 said:

I've finally started to cut my ties with following Bruce Lee after 48 (!) years of being a fan. I just sold my Blu Ray set on eBay and will be starting to list my collection over the coming days 

(Way of the Dragon related stuff and really old collectibles). I've felt this way since the Bob Baker letters were published and it's time to go. This is tough for me but it's what I feel.

Understandable. I used to idealize him a lot but really all I see now is that Fist of Fury seems to be a better projection of my anger than an outlet, and his other films aren't great really either. It seems that the first ones to judge my character for taking a liking to Klaus Kinski or Jimmy Wang Yu films for their artistic merit seem to be the first to jump to defend their idol Bruce Lee, not that it matters I suppose I have my own view and they are entitled to theirs obviously, but it's hard to admit that you find Lee distasteful in certain echo chambers, but I totally understand I suppose and well, I would tend to agree at this point.

I would also say that Bruce Lee even in his death put too much of a shadow on other young talent at a certain time, even when he wasn't alive to threaten death and stabbing on those who challenged his ego. Horrible wee man really. I think Ho Chung Tao would have gone to better places if the directors he worked with weren't so desperate to pidgeonhole him as a Lee look alike. Maybe it was his own choice partly too, but being in Hong Kong films was hardly a lucrative measure, even Shaws underpaid their crews, and I'm sure he needed the money. I somewhat feel the same way about Kim Tai Chung, and he wasn't like Bruce Lee at all. He was barely 21 when he was selected to play Lee for virtually the entire of Game of Death, and he took the role and did a fantastic job even though he was acting for a dead man's face. He was more mischevious and energetic yet seemingly timid in his approach, like a quieter Korean Jackie Chan though he certainly wasn't as manic as our good friend Elton Chong. See, already three names of other actors who did films in Hong Kong and outwith who don't get nearly enough appreciation. I mean, they were arguably just as good as Lee in their own right. Ho had a rocky start for sure, and Kim didn't quite have the acrobatic skills when working with Yuen Kwai, and Elton was something different altogether.

Anyway, plenty of other greats out there as I'm sure you know, you've obviously been around a lot longer than I of course and I'm sure you've seen hundreds of bashers, shapes, swords and styles at this point. :) But that's just my two cents for what little it's worth.

Edited by TheKungFuRobber
  • Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

17 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Why was Jackie Chan a letdown or did you never like his movies in the first place? 

Imo this whole drug ordeal just adds to the mysterious of Bruce Lee, the legend that he was. I wonder sometimes, if its his death that actually made him a legend, what would he be today if he lived on? How long would he been able to stay on top? When would his bad businesses come out public? Would Jackie Chan ever get his chance to shine? 

Wether you like his movies or not, he offered something to the screen which havent been matched to this day. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, JCLegend86 said:

Why was Jackie Chan a letdown or did you never like his movies in the first place? 

Mainly his weird ass-kissing of the Chinese government, but also his bad behaviour and infidelities. I just find all that clashes with his loveable on-screen persona that he cultivated.

That, and his movies got mostly really bad.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JCLegend86 said:

what would he be today if he lived on? How long would he been able to stay on top? When would his bad businesses come out public? Would Jackie Chan ever get his chance to shine? 

Had he gotten old enough to be in his sixties, he would have been like Lau Kar-Leung and Shek Kin whereas today he would be like James Hong.

As for Jackie, Bruce intended to quit being a martial arts actor at the age of 35. Had Bruce lived, the series of events that had lead to Lo Wei working with Jackie would have been the same.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cognoscente said:

Had he gotten old enough to be in his sixties, he would have been like Lau Kar-Leung and Shek Kin whereas today he would be like James Hong.

As for Jackie, Bruce intended to quit being a martial arts actor at the age of 35. Had Bruce lived, the series of events that had lead to Lo Wei working with Jackie would have been the same.

I wonder if Bruce hadn't died, Jackie would have stayed with Golden Harvest as a stuntman/supporting player for longer. He seems to abruptly leave them at the end of '73.

• Like 2

If Bruce had still intended to complete Game of Death then Jackie would have been one of the Karatekas who guard the pagoda from the outside.

When he was in America circa late May/early June 1973, Bruce sent a letter to Run Run Shaw where he wrote: "As of now, consider September, Oct. & November, a period of three months, reserved for Shaw. Specific terms, will discuss upon my arrival."

This doesn't leave much room for the completion of GOD, and Bruce reportedly didn't film any additional scenes from April to July...so Jackie was more likely to follow Bruce to Shaw. After Bruce died, Jackie worked on Shaw's Golden Lotus and Supermen Against the Orient. This is strange because you would think that he would have stuck around to work with Sammo and Yuen Biao on Stoner, which began filming before 1973 came to an end.

• Like 1

Even if Bruce hadn't died that day, doubt he would have lived to see 1974.  Can't live life burning the candle at both ends.  That's why it sickens me whenever Black Belt Magazine posts an article about "living the Bruce Lee way" or "how to build a Bruce Lee physique."  Of course, I troll them with cocaine jokes.

• Like 2

Freddie Mercury had a more extreme lifestyle than Bruce, and he lived up to November 1991 (he died three days before what would have been Bruce's 51st birthday).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

Freddie Mercury had a more extreme lifestyle than Bruce, and he lived up to November 1991 (he died three days before what would have been Bruce's 51st birthday).

Most of the Rolling Stones are all still alive - and they very much lived an excessive lifestyle comparable to Bruce at around the same time. It's funny how we remember all the greats who died too young, but rarely comment on the other ones who are still alive (or lived to a ripe old age) Lou Reed, he died of old age and was known to inject speed for a period (amongst other things) Bowie, Iggy Pop, heck, just about most musicians... and actors aren't much different. Jonny Depp doesn't seem to have suffered from his recent court case, even with the admission of some pretty solid drug abuse - if anything the ordeal has given him a boost as far as I can tell.

But, this isn't about excess - the whole point (and the OP's point) is that the media and the estate projected an image of him that was somehow clean and pure and drugs were a definite no-no. The media can perhaps be forgiven, but Linda Lee a little less. Then factor in a load of martial arts fans who worshipped the guy and lived by that code.... yeah, it gets messy. Maybe they're kicking themselves because they didn't take up the offer of a line at a party years ago? Or maybe they didn't go to that wild magic mushroom party that one night? I can see why they'd be upset. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, CharlieParker said:

the media and the estate projected an image of him that was somehow clean and pure and drugs were a definite no-no. The media can perhaps be forgiven, but Linda Lee a little less.

John Little is guilty too, as I mentioned back in May on another forum...

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bruceleelivestributeforum/hk-airport-photos-of-jim-coburn-bruce-raymond-chow-t4897-s10.html#p38347

• Like 2