Done with Bruce Lee after reading "Drug Letters"

shukocarl1441996347

1 hour ago, JCLegend86 said:

It must be one the biggest downsides of being a celebrity, because once you make a mistake your career and life can be severely damaged. Its like people expect these folks to act perfect and inhuman.

In Bruce's case, too many fortune cookie memes have been associated with him. Also, being a martial artist requires a certain amount of discipline and restraint. What I think is truly unforgivable about the letters is that he used Wu Ngan as a patsy in case he got busted. That and the fact that he was clearly stringing Baker along about being in another movie in order to get what he wanted. For a good friend, Bruce wasn't always committed to literally paying Baker back...using "brotherhood" as an excuse.

1 hour ago, Karlos said:

Where can I read these letters? 

54 minutes ago, CharlieParker said:

(For some of us of a certain generation) our concept of fame seems to be linked to the days when everyone watched the same 2 or 3 TV stations because we had no other choice. Fame lasted a long, long, time back then - and it gave us this false impression that it would somehow last forever. But give people never-ending choice with streaming options and 'fame' actually has an incredibly short life-span. 

Especially in today's TikTok world.

• Like 6

It's ironic that it's opium instead of cocaine which is Han's business whereas it's cocaine instead of opium which is Mi's business in The Big Boss.

• Like 2

Actually the new Elvis movie is doing good biz despite him being dead 45 yrs (or maybe he IS working at a BK in Kalamazoo now :P

Why shouldnt Lee be judged , i mean people judge Jimmy Snuka for alleged having killed his gf , they judge Hulk Hogan for being racist (Andre the Giant also called Bad News Brown the n word , BNB said he could kick Andres ass and after that Andre clammed up.....BNB was judo champ i believe)

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The problem is the public has been sold a phony baloney image of Lee since he stepped on a cocaine rainbow in 1973.  It's been revised over the years to where fans are offended by the portrayal in a Quentin Tarantino movie despite the Mike Moh characterization being a mimicry of Bruce's appearance on a Canadian talk show.  And Bruuuuuce comes off very arrogant on that talk show.  People think Lee invented MMA because he and Sammo are fighting in bikini underwear and kendo gloves in ENTER THE DRAGON.  They doubt the authenticity of the Baker letters despite cocaine addiction perfectly explaining the terrible, scrawny ENTER THE DRAGON physique and the mysterious fainting spells/collapsing on the set.  They think he was the first Chinese to teach kung fu to non-whites(laughably not true at all) and all the other nonsense presented by his widow and greedy daughter.  The only reason anybody thinks Bruuuuce never did cocaine is because you were never told he did cocaine by the Estate, Black Belt Magazine or anybody else pushing the Saint Bruce image.

It should be noted that Elvis's mystique was fading during his final years when reviews of sloppy concert performances and a bloated appearance in public were known to fans.  Plus the What Happened? book by his bodyguards was released while he was alive.  Even with more negative info after Presley's passing, his memorabilia STILL sells and new generations do dig his image and sound(not in the great numbers they used to, but still respectable business).  The Estate should have allowed Bruce's negatives to be known, because complex flawed "heroes" are more interesting than scrubbed "saints."  But they wanted Bruce to be kung fu Jesus, totally above criticism, and now they look like dishonest snake oil salesmen.  

• Like 5

As a fan of musical icons way before martial art film icons, would hardly bother me at all that any actor would of been a fan of substance use. Even Lee whose legacy has overshadowed that of just being an actor. I could see how it would bother some though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dionbrother said:

They doubt the authenticity of the Baker letters despite cocaine addiction perfectly explaining the terrible, scrawny ENTER THE DRAGON physique and the mysterious fainting spells/collapsing on the set.

In the below 1980 interview, Clouse claimed that Bruce collapsed on an earlier film whereas he only had physical injuries during the making of ETD.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bruceleelivestributeforum/robert-clouse-interview-t5017.html#p38432

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 10:51 AM, KUNG FU BOB said:

He'd found out that a lot of them pooled money together to buy lottery tickets every week

The reason to do this is to lower the cost between each person and share the wealth if any made. Afraid the angry coworker doesnt have a great perspective, but sorry for his circumstance back then. Also a very communal activity amongst friends or colleagues. Worked with people who did this who would sit around and talk about what theyd do with the money if they won. But I understand what your saying. 

• Like 1

Not to be a contrarian, but I genuinely find Bruce Lee more interesting if he was also a drug dealer. It’s pretty fascinating.

As for drug use? It doesn’t bother me much. I’ve enjoyed the work of a lot of celebrities that have been off their tits at some point in their career. Whether it’s Mike Tyson, Steve-O, Quentin Tarantino, Ben Affleck or Fiona Apple. Bruce is just another one to add to a very, very long list.

• Like 5

Bruce must be turning over in his grave with this much shit about his life hitting the fan :yociexp100:

As for me. You can still enjoy one man's life work even with all the flaws attached to it. I mean shit even us normal folks probably have at least one skeleton in the closet. So I'm not really a fan of pointing fingers.

And yes obviously the estate tries everything to give the man and his legacy a god like image. Which to begin with is a laughable attempt at best. I doubt that the real fans would stop buying all their (at times) questionable merch and what not with or without this "scandal". So don't worry Shannon and Linda the money will keep pouring in.

I long have made my peace with Bruce Lee and his image. I can appreciate it his work, philosophy, philanthropy and general impact he had on Martial Arts and A LOT of people that we adore nowadays on screen. I mean name one MA actor who DOESN'T mention Bruce Lee as a major influence!?

Nevertheless I'll gladly repeat myself, at the end of the day I also find him one of the most overrated people in martial arts history. Most famous I'll give him that as for everything else I might have to disagree.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

Yep. It's intriguing that Linda never went after Betty over that movie like she did over those associated with Super Dragon and Golden Sun.

In the January 1975 issue of Kung Fu Monthly, it was reported that she tried to get Super Dragon banned but failed. This is why she set out to do her own biopic. Betty's "Bruce Lee and I" was released one year later in the same month, January, when Raymond Chow and Linda finally settled their legal dispute about money that was owed to her.

In the previous January, she had sent a letter to Baker where she wrote: "In a couple of weeks, I'll be going to London because my book will be coming out there first. It won't be out here until around May. Then after that, I have to go to Boston to sue some people for making a trashy movie about Bruce's life. It was really disgusting! I went to Hong Kong in November with my lawyer to get some things straightened out and I guess that eventually it will be worked out but it sure takes forever."

The August 1978 issue of Fighting Stars reported how much money that Linda received after suing the people behind Super Dragon and Golden Sun – both Bruce Li movies are called Dragon Dies Hard in different territories. Linda maintained that her late husband’s defining characteristics were used without permission of the estate. The judge ordered that Allied Artists, Hallmark Productions, Esquire Productions and Winthrop Amusements, Inc. make a $25,000 settlement to the estate.

Thanks. I'm going to see if I can find a copy of it. 

14 hours ago, JCLegend86 said:

Most people in general dont have 100% clean sheets. Life is about trial and error, and that is how you learn. It must be one the biggest downsides of being a celebrity, because once you make a mistake your career and life can be severely damaged. Its like people expect these folks to act perfect and inhuman. And people love to boost their own egos by bringing famous people down. Its sad. 

Yeah, I try to keep that in mind. Which is why I tend to be a little more forgiving. 

• Like 1

@CharlieParker

I once showed a 20something Korean guy a fist of fury fight scene and he laughed his ass off because it looked silly for him.

Bruce Lee will definitely be forgotten just like any other celebrity out there in time.

• Like 2

sifu iron perm
2 hours ago, WangYu said:

@CharlieParker

I once showed a 20something Korean guy a fist of fury fight scene and he laughed his ass off because it looked silly for him.

Bruce Lee will definitely be forgotten just like any other celebrity out there in time.

I bet he watches anime and smiles during intro credits.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 9/13/2022 at 8:58 PM, dionbrother said:

The problem is the public has been sold a phony baloney image of Lee since he stepped on a cocaine rainbow in 1973.  It's been revised over the years to where fans are offended by the portrayal in a Quentin Tarantino movie despite the Mike Moh characterization being a mimicry of Bruce's appearance on a Canadian talk show.  And Bruuuuuce comes off very arrogant on that talk show.  People think Lee invented MMA because he and Sammo are fighting in bikini underwear and kendo gloves in ENTER THE DRAGON.  They doubt the authenticity of the Baker letters despite cocaine addiction perfectly explaining the terrible, scrawny ENTER THE DRAGON physique and the mysterious fainting spells/collapsing on the set.  They think he was the first Chinese to teach kung fu to non-whites(laughably not true at all) and all the other nonsense presented by his widow and greedy daughter.  The only reason anybody thinks Bruuuuce never did cocaine is because you were never told he did cocaine by the Estate, Black Belt Magazine or anybody else pushing the Saint Bruce image.

It should be noted that Elvis's mystique was fading during his final years when reviews of sloppy concert performances and a bloated appearance in public were known to fans.  Plus the What Happened? book by his bodyguards was released while he was alive.  Even with more negative info after Presley's passing, his memorabilia STILL sells and new generations do dig his image and sound(not in the great numbers they used to, but still respectable business).  The Estate should have allowed Bruce's negatives to be known, because complex flawed "heroes" are more interesting than scrubbed "saints."  But they wanted Bruce to be kung fu Jesus, totally above criticism, and now they look like dishonest snake oil salesmen.  

Several thumbs up on this......you hit the nail big time. Its the supposed drug dealing that is the worst imo. It also depends what the celeb did , did he/she petty shoplift or did he rape or even kill.....Snipes tax cheated and went to prison but sometimes celebs get special treatment which is wrong imo. 

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 2

On 9/13/2022 at 8:52 AM, Coliseum1972 said:

Actually the new Elvis movie is doing good biz despite him being dead 45 yrs (or maybe he IS working at a BK in Kalamazoo now :P

Why shouldnt Lee be judged , i mean people judge Jimmy Snuka for alleged having killed his gf , they judge Hulk Hogan for being racist (Andre the Giant also called Bad News Brown the n word , BNB said he could kick Andres ass and after that Andre clammed up.....BNB was judo champ i believe)

Dont forget when Mr McMahon called John cena the n word on live television and Booker T said "DONT TELL ME HE JUST SAID THAT" 🤣

Edited by Ah_Tao
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Coliseum1972 said:

Several thumbs up on this......you hit the nail big time. Its the supposed drug dealing that is the worst imo. It also depends what the celeb did , did he/she petty shoplift or did he rape or even kill.....Snipes tax cheated and went to prison but sometimes celebs get special treatment which is wrong imo. 

Agreed.  Bruce being a cocaine dealer is the dirtiest detail of all and it's also the point the narrative pushers(John Little, etc.) completely overlook and don't talk about.  They don't want you to notice it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Coliseum1972 said:

Several thumbs up on this......you hit the nail big time. Its the supposed drug dealing that is the worst imo. It also depends Snipes tax cheated and went to prison but sometimes celebs get special treatment which is wrong imo. 

I wish that Snipes had a big comeback after spending 2 and a half years in prison. Like Robert Downey Jr. before him, Snipes was sentenced to 3 years in prison. However, RDJ was released before his first year was over. Unpaid taxes are supposedly worse than drugs.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

I wish that Snipes had a big comeback after spending 2 and a half years in prison. Like Robert Downey Jr. before him, Snipes was sentenced to 3 years in prison. However, RDJ was released before his first year was over. Unpaid taxes are supposedly worse than drugs.

You can't screw with the IRS.

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347
2 hours ago, dionbrother said:

Agreed.  Bruce being a cocaine dealer is the dirtiest detail of all and it's also the point the narrative pushers(John Little, etc.) completely overlook and don't talk about.  They don't want you to notice it.

You have to wonder if the likes of Norris, Wall, Inosanto, Ted Wong, Wu Ngan etc knew what was going on and all stayed silent. They all visited with Lee at some point in Hong Kong between 72 and 73...

Edited by shukocarl1441996347
  • Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

It's amazing how people are able to hide things. Like how many celebs or people who look like butter wouldn't melt have turned out to be pedos/murders/rapists.

Like Josef Fritzl kept his daughter in the basement of his own house yet the wife knew nothing! She was right there!

Obviously Bruce isn't any of those things mentioned above but he definitely could of hidden his drugs problem from people he didn't want knowing.

People are good at putting on a facade but underneath you never know what's going on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dionbrother said:

You can't screw with the IRS.

Bruce could have been the Snipes of his day had he lived.

3 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

You have to wonder if the likes of Norris, Wall, Inosanto, Ted Wong, Wu Ngan etc knew what was going on and all stayed silent. They all visited with Lee at some point in Hong Kong between 72 and 73...

Norris was open enough to talk about Bruce using steroids.

6 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

It's amazing how people are able to hide things. Like how many celebs or people who look like butter wouldn't melt have turned out to be pedos/murders/rapists.

Like Josef Fritzl kept his daughter in the basement of his own house yet the wife knew nothing! She was right there!

Obviously Bruce isn't any of those things mentioned above but he definitely could of hidden his drugs problem from people he didn't want knowing.

People are good at putting on a facade but underneath you never know what's going on.

Like serial killers or bigamists.

• Like 2