The Offical Shaws Dub Thread

Guest gfanikf

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest venom10463

Just a thought, I think it will be a good idea if we go public with this info. We can start by posting wanted sign in the newspapers, magazine, etc.

Guest gfanikf

Falkors site lists Anonymous Heroes as having a dub too. I'm going to check the rest of the site out later with arabic subs too. I never thought that film had a dub circulating :)

i recently finished watching SIRENS english dub of 12 GOLD MEDALLIONS and must admit they did a pretty good job. my question is--who did the dubbing and when. was this just recent and done just for siren. also if they did such a good job on this one why hasn,t whoever did it done anymore. afterall there are lots of good shaws out there that have never been dubbed--this sounds like a good project to me. one other thing--as i mentioned once before DUEL FOR GOLD was listed with english dub in widescreen on rarekungfumovies with arabic subs. seems to me that one would assume that somebody that visits sites such as this would have known about it and purchased a copy. what i,m trying to say is why hasn,t another copy surfaced anywhere and become available. lets face it if a certain someone could get a copy of this i,m sure it would start to make the rounds.

Guest sevenhooks
i recently finished watching SIRENS english dub of 12 GOLD MEDALLIONS and must admit they did a pretty good job. my question is--who did the dubbing and when. was this just recent and done just for siren. also if they did such a good job on this one why hasn,t whoever did it done anymore. afterall there are lots of good shaws out there that have never been dubbed--this sounds like a good project to me. one other thing--as i mentioned once before DUEL FOR GOLD was listed with english dub in widescreen on rarekungfumovies with arabic subs. seems to me that one would assume that somebody that visits sites such as this would have known about it and purchased a copy. what i,m trying to say is why hasn,t another copy surfaced anywhere and become available. lets face it if a certain someone could get a copy of this i,m sure it would start to make the rounds.

I second what killer meteor says about the Siren re-dubs.

They're horrible.

And I'm definitely NOT in favor of ANY new re-dubbing of ANY Shaws Brothers films.

Whether they've had an english dub before or not.

And if not, then I'd rather just watch/listen to it in chinese instead.

The original english dubs were special.

They were quality and they were class.

Any new dubs would just sound totally wrong.

(besides, original english dubs WERE made for nearly ALL Shaw films that had even a modicum of action in it, so I'd rather a little EFFORT be made to search out the original dubs that we KNOW exist, as oppossed to taking the easy way out and just tack on a corny NEW dub)

Accchhh!!

Just stop it.

Please!

Now!!

:x :x :x

i prefer the original classic dubs best myself. i only suggested that some new dubs for NEVER dubbed movies might be a good idea. afterall i,ve allways stated that no matter what they did everyone should have the choice of new dub--original dub--or original chinese. i,m pro choice. one things for sure and thats- that there are a lot of classic dubs that still need to be found.

Guest killer meteor
Here are the 166 titles which were mentioned as available "with english optical track" in an early listing of the 760 Shaw films Celestial acquired:

Is that list accuate? Among it is Have Sword, Will Travel, which did not have a dub on the Image DVD. Vengeance IS A Golden Blade is due soon from Image. Wonder if that will have the dub

Guest sevenhooks

There has been a few titles that we KNOW had english dubs made for them, yet when it came time for a DVD release in an english language market, sorry... no english dub.

Ie: The Master / 3 Evil Masters on Siren in Austrailia.

Or Spiritual Boxer on Momentum in England.

Hell, even Image was all set to release Deadly Breaking Sword in chinese only before folks here on this very board pointed out the existance/availability of an actual english dub.

And yeah, I believe there are a couple of Image titles that definitely had an english dub made for them initially.

I think the bottom line is the willingness of these companies to KNOW and CARE about this kind of stuff.

Guest killer meteor
Or Spiritual Boxer on Momentum in England.

Momentum didn't get dubs for any of the films. However Siren also released Spiritual Boxer and I don't think that has a dub

VENGEANCE IS A GOLDEN BLADE--IMAGE--no english dub. SHADOW WHIP--IMAGE--no english dub ---apparently they could not find copies of the dubs--that is if there even are any. can anyone actually confirm beyond a doubt that dubs for these two actually exist. thier upcoming release of HEAVEN AND HELL is supposed to include a dub versionas well as BELLS OF DEATH.

Guest sevenhooks
Momentum didn't get dubs for any of the films. However Siren also released Spiritual Boxer and I don't think that has a dub

Point is, I'm pretty sure that Momentum didn't make much of an effort (if any effort at ALL) to procure any dubs in the first place.

I don't most of these companies do.

EDIT:

Re: Siren and Spiritual Boxer: I know they released this title as well without a dub - just as they did with The Master.

But an english dub DOES definitely exist for Spiritual Boxer.

World Northal even had it retitled "Naked Fists of Terror" for a broadcast on US television that never happened.

The existence of a dub was also confirmed at the Library of Congress on this board not too long ago.

All it would take on the part of these companies is a little bit f knowledge and effort.

As it stands now, I think companies like Siren or Momentum just took whatever Celestial gave them and that was that.

if SPIRITUAL BOXER does in fact have an english dub i will add it to my list of lost shaw dubs and continue the never ending hunt to try and find a copy. you know before i got a computer i never knew that there were dub versions of --THE LIZARD--MAGIC BLADE--WEB OF DEATH--LEGEND OF THE BAT--all of which i now own--not to mention my uncut version of DELIGHTFUL FOREST.

Guest Chris Poggiali

QUEEN HUSTLER has an English dub, since it was released theatrically in the U.S. by World Northal.

Guest Atomic Mystery Monster

I suspect that Celestial has something in their licensing contracts stating that the rights to remastered dub tracks eventually revert to them. As a result, they try to get licensors to pay extra for the dub track rights, and then try to force them to do the remastering so that they can get a free remastered dub track when license runs out. After all, why spend money remastering something that doesn't appeal to your home market when you can get someone else to do so and pay you for it?

Guest ironfistedmonk2003

Spiritual Boxer definitely has a dub, it played over here in the UK on TV last night and it was the clearest sounding dub I've ever heard.

Can anyone confirm the Image titles released with dubs so far? All I know of are Black Magic and Legendary Weapons

Guest venomchamber

Here's a bit of (dated) information I dug out from my archives that I found interesting, supplied by MOVIE NEWS -published at the Shaw House (*Runme Shaw's office) in Singapore. Maybe Celestial (located in neighboring Malaysia) should raid these offices?

shaw16mmce7.jpg

BELLS OF DEATH--now officially on image site for release on july/3. by that picture there one might assume that all shaw kungfu movies had a dub version at some point.

Guest venomchamber

Yep.

I can confirm that just from listening to a repeated viewing of the SVE 12 GOLD MEDALLIONS disc, it was dubbed in the mid-80s (why I couldn't say) by the same voice actors who dubbed the Golden Harvest stuff like JACKIE CHAN'S POLICEFORCE aka POLICE STORY.

I've never seen (or heard) any other English version of this film before.

Maybe the original "but still" audio track was lost in that alleged fire they supposedly had and they needed to redo it for an overseas market?

Maybe there are alternate dubs for alternate cuts? There may be a GOLD MEDALLIONS OF DEATH (HA!) floating around out there with the classic 70s voices?

It may not neccessarily be a redub, but a (very) late first time dub?

On a positive note, more is better...any English is better than no English! Since I'm not fluent in Mandarin, I'm grateful.

Besides, this is the kind of stuff that makes collecting Shaws interesting and so much fun!

Archived