Romance of the Three Kingdoms

BigDruDogg

I'm a huge fan of the novels/games and the history in general. I know this time period predates Martial Arts as we know it, but these stories are rich and have great characters/settings.

I was wondering did the Shaw Bros every make any movies depicting this time frame?

I can already imagine Ti Lung as Guan Yu and Wang Lung Wei as Cao Cao :xd:

Thanks for any Recs

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

I do wish they had made that movie!! But alas ... There is DIAU CHARN, a 1958 huangmei opera movie. THE WEIRD MAN is based on ROTK but it is hardly recognizable.

Ti Lung plays Guan Yu in THREE KINGDOMS: RESURRECTION OF THE DRAGON in 2008 but of course what we would have wanted is a Ti Lung in his prime, and kicking ass. Really a shame it never happened.

I have not played the games yet but I love the novel.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if it's related to the Three Kingdoms, but years ago, while looking for some Shaws on cduniverse, I found an English subbed series in their Shaws' catalogue, called Guang Gong. When I tested the discs, it seems to me that it had either the Shaws' logo, either the TVB's one, but I may be mistaken.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

Guan Yu is often called Guan Gong (Lord Guan). There are several TV series on ROTK and especially on him. I don't know if TVB also made one but I would not be surprised at all!

• Like 3

I first got into the Three Kingdoms when I played the NES game "Destiny of an Emperor".  Then moved the the Romance of the Three Kingdoms strategy video games. I've played 2-4 and 6-12. 5 was never given an English release. Then moved on to the novel, the 1995 TV series, the 2010 TV series and various movies. Love the whole series.

• Like 3

Thanks guys for the info! I find it pretty interesting, my perceived indication was that the novels were extremely popular, and find it odd that they didn't make tons of movies.

Thanks @Rando1975 for the heads up on the 2010 series, for some reason that flew under my radar, and I'm excited to check it out!! Also great call on The Legend of Guan Gong Series @ShawAngela I've never heard of that either, I definitely wouldn't mind tracking that down!!

I've seen the Three Kingdoms Sammo Hung/Ti Lung movie, @Chu Liu Hsiang mentioned, it actually wasn't too bad, and the John Woo Red Cliff films, I haven't checked out the Louis Koo Dynasty Warriors one though...

I was just hoping to get a shaw or 60s/70s type of film from the genre.

Oh Well, Thanks again!! :yociexpress01:

• Like 2

On 9/6/2022 at 12:00 PM, BigDruDogg said:

Thanks @Rando1975 for the heads up on the 2010 series, for some reason that flew under my radar, and I'm excited to check it out!! Also great call on The Legend of Guan Gong Series @ShawAngela I've never heard of that either, I definitely wouldn't mind tracking that down!!

I noticed recently on Ebay that they now have the 2010 series on blu-ray. I'll probably upgrade to that sometime. The Legend of Guan Gong may be on YouTube. I watched it on there a few years ago, but don't know if it's still up.

• Like 1