Shaw Brothers films to be released on DVD in North America!!

Guest CodyJack

Guest FUNi Rep Rojas

Howdy guys. I'm Rojas, a representative from FUNimation. I just wanted to let you know about the Shaw Brothers acquisition below. If you have any questions, you can find me at blog.FUNimation.com or shoot me an email at feedback@funimation.com. And don't forget to watch the trailer below. :wink:

Flower Mound, TX – January 4, 2010 – FUNimation® Entertainment announced today that it now has U.S. home video distribution rights to 15 live action films from Celestial Filmed Entertainment, Inc.®’s expansive film collection featuring films by those known as “the Kung Fu masters”: the Shaw Brothers

FUNimation will release “Sword of Swords”, “The Duel”, “The Lady Hermit” , “The 14 Amazons”, “Shaolin Hand Lock”, “Invincible Shaolin”, “Soul of the Sword”, “Life Gamble”, “Shaolin Rescuers”, “Shaolin Prince”, “Bastard Swordsman”, “Opium and The Kung Fu Master”, “The Supreme Swordsman”, “Return of Bastard Swordsman” and “Hong Kong Godfather”.

FUNimation Entertainment is bringing these films to DVD in 2010 and 2011.

http://blog.funimation.com/2010/01/2010-roll-out-riot-day-1-of-5-hong-kong-connection/

47PtCeREAhM

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Howdy guys. I'm Rojas, a representative from FUNimation. I just wanted to let you know about the Shaw Brothers acquisition below. If you have any questions, you can find me at blog.FUNimation.com or shoot me an email at feedback@funimation.com. And don't forget to watch the trailer below. :wink:

Flower Mound, TX – January 4, 2010 – FUNimation® Entertainment announced today that it now has U.S. home video distribution rights to 15 live action films from Celestial Filmed Entertainment, Inc.®’s expansive film collection featuring films by those known as “the Kung Fu masters”: the Shaw Brothers

FUNimation will release “Sword of Swords”, “The Duel”, “The Lady Hermit” , “The 14 Amazons”, “Shaolin Hand Lock”, “Invincible Shaolin”, “Soul of the Sword”, “Life Gamble”, “Shaolin Rescuers”, “Shaolin Prince”, “Bastard Swordsman”, “Opium and The Kung Fu Master”, “The Supreme Swordsman”, “Return of Bastard Swordsman” and “Hong Kong Godfather”.

FUNimation Entertainment is bringing these films to DVD in 2010 and 2011.

http://blog.funimation.com/2010/01/2010-roll-out-riot-day-1-of-5-hong-kong-connection/

47PtCeREAhM

Wow! Thanks for posting. That's an impressive list. I hope your email box doesn't fill up too fast :wink:

No surprises here; it's a rescue of BCI's Shaw titles. It's still very welcome. Maybe if they sell well enough Funi will get some fresh titles from Celestial.

kungpowmaster

Maybe they will release:

Ultraman: Towards The Future

and:

Ultraman: The Ultimate Hero

And the dubbed series of Ultra 7, and Spectreman

I know it's OT, but hoping he reads this.

DeathFuMaster

Glad to see a rep here to give us information on this. I can't wait to see these on DVD here in the US. Hopefully Funimation will release more afterward.

The Running Man

People, please send an email to the Funimation address noted above and let them know to re-do the English subtitles on these releases and to also do them based on the official Chinese dialect track for the movies since not only do Celestial's English subs leave a lot to be desired, but they always base them on the Mandarin tracks regardless if it is the official track or not.

Please guys, strength is in numbers and if enough people demand it it will be done.

Vivendi and Dragon Dynasty seem to be one and the same; that's how I gathered from pre-released info on "36th Chamber" sequel and Blu-ray "36th Chamber". How about if Image has any more Shaw reissues coming? Last I saw via their website, there doesn't appear to be any within the immediate future. What's the word on the street?

It says its released by Vivendi, isnt that Dragon Dynasty?

Vivendi and Dragon Dynasty seem to be one and the same; ....

Vivendi bought the distribution rights from TWC after they shut down Genius Products.

Everything else remains the same.

Hi All,

Just got a great update for the Shaw fans.

Here are 4 titles being released by Funimation and the dates:

Shaolin Rescuers/ Nov 09-2010

Soul of the Sword/ Nov 09-2010

Bastard Swordsman/ Dec 07-2010

Return of Bastard Swordsman/ Dec 07-2010

kungpowmaster

Today, I bought, at the mall, this Funimation set, Shaw Brothers Triple Threat, with Invincible Shaolin, Life Gamble, and Shaolin Prince. This is the only online site I have found that mentions this set at all:

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/UTKCsSPmPat9CVOpnD/browse/item/89216/4/870/72

Everything else only mentions a set with 14 Amazons, Hand Lock something, and Opium and the Kung Fu Master, but this set isn't set to be released till 12/21. But is seems both of these sets have the same upc number. I can't figure it out.

Trying to get an idea of all of the upcoming shaws in the next year. Anyone have a list? Trying to spur some discussion and excitement.

Only ones I know of are the Flying Guillotine 1,2 both dropping from Dragon Dynasty/Arc ENT on November 29th

and Brave Archer 2 dropping through Tokyo Shock/MB November 22 (yeah right lol)

and Magnificent Ruffians in early 2012 also through TS/MB...

I'm not sure if Well Go USA will be putting out any more shaws or any other company for that matter...

I'm just happy that we always have a new one on the horizon... :xd:

Tokyo Shock is releasing:

BRAVE ARCHER PART 2 on November 22 (confirmed on the Allegro Video website. Allegro owns the Tokyo Shock label now)

FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS on Blu-Ray on December 13

masterofoneinchpunch
Tokyo Shock is releasing:

BRAVE ARCHER PART 2 on November 22 (confirmed on the Allegro Video website. Allegro owns the Tokyo Shock label now)

FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS on Blu-Ray on December 13

You can preorder BRAVE ARCHER PART 2 already on Amazon (link is on the R1 thread).

FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS DVD is quite high on Amazon right now, but I think that will lower (with more stock) when they release the BD. I have not seen a BD link on Amazon yet for FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS.

Avenging Eagle and Blood Brothers; Golden Swallow and Killer Clans are being released as double packs "Dragon Dynasty double feature" one and two respectively towards the end of April with a bargain price of $7.99 each at the moment on Amazon.com

I don't suppose anyone knows if/when "magnificent ruffians" and "masked avengers" will be getting region one releases? Or even what else is coming soon? Are releases always this infrequent?

http://www.image-entertainment.com/product/four-swords-shaw-brothers-box-set/f5f9d740-b3f1-40d5-affd-9ca400fdb98f

At 40.00 bucks for four DVDs, these are nearly the same price in Beijing. I don't know what to make of that - just reporting it.

This box set has been around for a while; a quick check showed it's available on Amazon US for $22 new or $13.50 used.

thankyouforfu

It looks like there will be a couple more Shaw Bros releases from Sword Masters in 2014.

The Shadow Boxing will be released in December of 2014.

51nFdryS1nL._SY300_.jpg

The Tail of The Broken Blade will also be released in December of 2014.

51A2WJKh6GL-213x300.png

Earlier this year, Sword Masters released two other films:

Legend of the Bat

51UWJu0zgrL._SY300_.jpg

Death Duel

812491012741;canvasHeight=210;canvasWidth=210

Here's a link for more information on the releases.

thankyouforfu

Shout! Factory has a couple more DVD releases planned for 2014 that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere:

And these were released earlier this year:

Archived