Shaw Brothers films to be released on DVD in North America!!

Guest CodyJack

Guest kenichiku
I'm sure you'd agree that this sort of reaction is certainly not unique to America. I'd say it's even worse in HK right now with nearly every film being marketed towards

the teeny bopper set in some way, shape or form. That said, Mr. HKmovie is correct in his assessment. And whether he's referring to US or HK audiences, the response will no doubt be the same, generally speaking

Sorry for butting in but having screened some of these old films in three continents, I'd say you guys are accurate if they were gearing Shaws to commerical mulitiplexes for the Pavlovian youth demographic, but I'd like to think Image is not, given their past approach with the laser video product back in the days before DVD, when laserdiscs were a boutique collector's hobby, before they became mainstream like VHS and all the majors caught on. As a collector, do you know I still spin Image's big platter LDs of Russell's 'Gothic', Allen's 'Hannah & Her Sisters' and Gosha's 'The Wolves' every 3 years or so ever since they were first released? (I'm sure their execs would approve).

There are other cultural and historical significance that contribute to the goodwill of that title that these video outfits have banked their faith in. I think the less popular but more engaging titles of that same era can share the same goodwill on video to the guaranteed old fans and new ones if they are given the opportunity to rediscover them. Here in Region one, folks don't buy DVDs the way they're haggled and hawked about off the sidewalk like fresh fish or fake Rolexes along the dense streets of Mongkok. I like to think we are more discriminating than that but we do appreciate and purchase when we are catered correctly and not pandered to impersonally like robot consumers, with or without the value of the purchase. Image just has to curate, package, present and market them accordingly, especially when they're out to win over the new fan. Their success will correlate with the product's inherent merits, add crossover and 'legs' potential (fueled by media and blogs like us).

If their past were any indication, I think Image would like to capture mainstream numbers but they may be more successful attacking the niche academic, arthouse or festival movie-going market which happens to be a more mature stay-at-home bunch now (the Region 1 demographic is living and spending longer) with an empty nest, 3 beds, 2 baths, a Honda, an SUV & sacks of peat moss leaning against the garage, 2.4 TVs & a PC in their house, cocker spaniel optional. Having screened revivals myself of old obscure Japanese Chambara or exploitation films over here the past 20 years usually sponsored by Indie theatres, Universities or groups like the Japan Society or American Cinematheque and then having the experience of video outfits like Image, Criterion, Fantoma, Tokyo Shock or HVE/Janus release them in Region 1 (and I've bought a ton of them the past 10 years) actually gives me hope for the Celestial product, especially for older titles like 'Bells of Death', 'Temptress of 1000 Faces' or 'Cave of the Silken Web'. I mean, there's specialty titles for every fan base on DVD here in Region 1. If they can release diverse 60s films such as Fukusaku's 'Black Rose Mansion', Fodorosky's 'Fando & Lis' or Ginsberg's 'Coming Apart' here in Region 1, then I'm ever the more hopeful for Shaws in Region 1.

Do any of you think sacrilege if you dare dismiss 'Seven Samurai' action as sloppy with no technique just because it's been declared a classic? How about 'Come Drink With Me'? Then I'll do it for you, they're f**king sleepwalks if not for their cultural status thru the ages by those narrow standards! Shaws films don't carry the same weight as Kurosawa but they're in similar neighborhoods. If Image just does it right, me and properly courted uninformed others like me will still buy a ton more, slow fighting and all.

[gram]

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I am looking forward to ANY of the Shaw releases from Image. Unfortunately, Im not sure if the sales will be be enough to support Image buying another batch of titles. Ive had this discussion many times in the chatroom with other members numerous times. Maybe its just the area of the country I live in (Northwest), but Ive never met anybody personally who even knows who the Shaw Brothers are. I pray that I am 100% wrong, and its just my location. And it will also depend on how much Image plans to sell these titles for. Fox started releasing the better known Jackie and Sammo films (and others) with @ 4 titles every few months under $10. And the only thing theye released in a looong time is the Bruce boxset. I now see the Fox titles in clearance & bargain bins for like $5 everywhere. Were the sales that bad?

It's because another company owns those.

I dont think he understands what you mean by that Linn. If you know what I mean.;)

Guest Markgway

The Fox films were put out cheap because they didn't cost anything rights wise. So really Fox could charge whatever they want and still make some profit. Many more titles have beem passed by the MPAA and will hopefully be out sooner rather than later.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
The Fox films were put out cheap because they didn't cost anything rights wise. So really Fox could charge whatever they want and still make some profit.

Good point. But my concern is more from the American consumer standpoint. Image will odviously have to charge much more to make a profit, and Im not sure if the average consumer will pay over $20 for these films. Obviously fanatics like us will, but will that be enough. I mentioned Fox because I kinda assumed that they stopped putting titles out because sales were down (not up to expectations). And if that was the case, one could reason that Image could easily run into the same problem. Especially if they have a more expensive and not as well known catalog of films. Not as widely popular or well known as Jackie and Sammo films. Im concerned support from fans alone will not make a big enough dent in the bottom line. Then again Ive always wondered how Criterion continues to be successful releasing these not as well known Samurai films for $30-$40 (hell they get me from time to time :lol ). Hopefully Im way off in my assumptions with Fox and they will continue to release these classics. And Image will follow suit and be a great success as well.

hi. i for one will gladly purchase kungfu tittles such as VENGEANCE IS A GOLDEN BLADE -DEADLY BREAKING SWORD -BIG BROTHER CHENG - HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL etc if they are remastered and available with the english dub from IMAGE. maybe if some of these tittles do well it will get miramax off their butts and release a few tittles as well.afterall from what i understand at least 150 or more shaw kungfu movies had english dubs and miramax has only 50 or so. so lets get as many as possible released and quite all the whineing.:lol >: :lol

as for pricing, I can safely say they won't be above $20, and from what I understand, instore prices will be something around $15.

maybe if some of these tittles do well it will get miramax off their butts and release a few tittles as well.afterall from what i understand at least 150 or more shaw kungfu movies had english dubs and miramax has only 50 or so. so lets get as many as possible released and quite all the whineing.

Not really, Merryaxe didn't buy the soundtracks from Celestial as of about six months ago. Their plan was to create new English dubs supposedly and not have to pay the extra for any soundtracks. The move shocked Celestial, but not me. :)

you know i don,t think i,d mind them putting english dub to the movies that were never dubbed. but i,d like to keep the classic dubs the way they were.

Guest Johnnie freeze
It's just that with only 30 titles to start with, I'm worried that they're beginning with far too many older, slow-as-molasas films that could potentially end Image's Shaw experiment before it really has a chance to start.

I totally agree! When I first saw the list of Shaws to be released I thought "there are way too many super old, super slow moving flicks on this list!". I wouldn'tve worried too much if these were just a warm up, but it seems more like a test, as if these don't sell big than the rest of them won't be released. Under these circumstances I don't know if putting out all the less desirable [or at least less known to the masses] titles is so smart.

Guest sevenhooks
Shaws films don't carry the same weight as Kurosawa but they're in similar neighborhoods.

Really? I didn't realize they were even in the same state!!

If Image just does it right, me and properly courted uninformed others like me will still buy a ton more, slow fighting and all.

I certainly hope so.

Guest drunkenmantis13
I totally agree! When I first saw the list of Shaws to be released I thought "there are way too many super old, super slow moving flicks on this list!". I wouldn'tve worried too much if these were just a warm up, but it seems more like a test, as if these don't sell big than the rest of them won't be released. Under these circumstances I don't know if putting out all the less desirable [or at least less known to the masses] titles is so smart.

Well there's still some great titles in the list. So if the slower and older ones sells badly but the good titles most people want does great, Image will realise this and might go for more of what sells simply! ;)

Guest Mantis FIST

Linn when is our board gonna get a world exclusive and have the other 12 titles announced? Just tell me men from the monastary. Since Celestial is taking so damn long to release it. That actually brings me to a question? ARe any of the films that Image and MM own titles that have not been released by IVl to this point?

Thanks!

you'll get a world exclusive about another company in a couple of weeks. ;) And I'll see what I can do about the rest of the titles. And as for you questions, Men... aren't on the Image list and yes, Image have some things not released by IVL yet.

Guest killer meteor

I noticed that Image has The Water Margin and that got me wondering; is there any chance that as an extra we could get the US version, 7 Blows Of The Dragon, which I'm told has extra scenes specially shot for US release

Guest m burlock

I'll get ANY and ALL martial arts titles Image releases regardless of what "speed" they are!!

Excuse me for not being knowledgeable about Shaw Bro.s films but, besides: Legendary Weapons of China, Vengeance is a Golden Blade, The Deadly Breaking Sword, Big Brother Cheng, and Have Sword Will Travel, what other ones on the list of 18 are martial arts films? I'd be REALLY grateful if anyone could tell me. Thanks!!

m burlock

I noticed that Image has The Water Margin and that got me wondering; is there any chance that as an extra we could get the US version, 7 Blows Of The Dragon, which I'm told has extra scenes specially shot for US release

IF all goes well, you'll be VERY happy! ;)

Guest killer meteor

If Image was a woman, I'd kiss her! Let's hope she's not like Celestial which looks good but the audio, cuts etc. are the digital version of syphilis!

Guest sevenhooks
Let's hope she's not like Celestial which looks good but the audio, cuts etc. are the digital version of syphilis!

Wow. Now THAT'S funny!!

I'll have to remember that one.

Guest limubai2000

From Kaiju Shakedown -

GO IMAGE! SHAW BROTHERS DVD DETAILS

Shaw Brothers logoImage Entertainment has shared with us 18 of the titles (probably the first ones they'll release) in their recent 30 film deal with Celestial to re-release the Shaw Brothers classics in the US.

INTIMATE CONFESSIONS OF A CHINESE COURTESAN - Image wanted to do a new transfer of this one because some info is missing from the top of the Region 3 disc, but the original print is too damaged to do anything with. Still...

THE WATER MARGIN

THE MAGIC BLADE - lots of folks said that the best thing about the Celestial re-issues was the discovery of director Chor Yuen and a new appreciation for his work. And most of them claimed THE MAGIC BLADE was one of his best movies (although I prefer INTIMATE CONFESSIONS OF A CHINESE COURTESAN, which provided the plot for Clarence Fok's later, legendary NAKED KILLER)

LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA - considered one of the classic Shaw movies. There have been complaints that the Celestial disc has some awkward new foley effects, but it's reasonable to assume that Image might be taking these off.

VENGEANCE IS A GOLDEN BLADE - cult director, Ho Meng-hua, does a swordplay epic.

SHAOLIN INTRUDERS - I don't know much about this 1983 Shaw production but it stars Derek Yee, who just directed ONE NIGHT IN MONGKOK.

THE WANDERING SWORDSMAN

THE DEADLY BREAKING SWORD

BELLS OF DEATH

SUPER INFRAMAN - the delirious cult classic sci fi film finally on a Region 1 DVD. There will be dancing!

BIG BROTHER CHENG - bloody urban action starring the underrated Chen Kuan-tai.

HEAVEN AND HELL - this flick starts out with massively weird musical numbers/martial arts battles and then moves on to a sort of "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Guide to Buddhism" starring the Five Venoms.

THE KILLER SNAKES - this lurid and depraved Hong Kong roughie about a guy who uses snakes to kill is a masterpiece of sleaze and Image will be doing a new 16x9 transfer for their DVD.

HUMAN LANTERNS - I'll be the first to admit that some Shaw Brothers cult classics sort of sucked once you actually saw them, but HUMAN LANTERNS paid off in every way. This movie is absolutely great but one of the biggest complaints was that the Celestial DVD was an edited version of the movie. Not so the Image DVD which will do a new 16x9 transfer of the uncut original. (here's a long review which includes info on the edits that will presumably be restored)

BLACK MAGIC - Ho Meng-hua's crunky, gruesome horror flick.

HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL

MONKEY GOES WEST

CAVE OF THE SILKEN WEB - this and MONKEY GOES WEST are parts 1 and 3 of Shaw's adaptation of Journey to the West and they are mighty fine fantasy kung fu flicks, especially the spider vixen filled SILKEN WEB.

The Image discs will (hopefully) start releasing in April 2006 and there will be two per month. April will probably see the release of SUPER INFRAMAN with the other title to be determined. Not only will each disc feature all the extras from the Celestial discs, but there will be new special features that Image is keeping mum about for the time being.

---

I've been checking Amazon because they carry all the Image titles, for the pre-order and nothing is listed as of today. (The Super Inframan up there now is from a Z-shop and its an IVL/Celestial). I also went so far as to check the Image site and no Shaw titles are listed for March or April.

I would think next month (Feb) they should be up for pre-order and Image should start promoting them some kind of way, or at least I hope they would promote them.

Fearless Fighters from Image was up for pre-order about 60 days before release.

Any updates as to release dates? Its the end of feb & I haven't seen any pre-orders. Image better get going! soon its gonna be spring & I'm gonna be outside, not watching DVD's!:b

Guest Kung Fu Zombie

I just scoured throught Images website and found these release dates

Black Magic 9-12-06

Boxers Omen 11-21-06

Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan 12-05-06

The Magic Blade 11-07-06

Super Inframan 10-03-06

The Water Margin 10-17-06

That's all I found listed.

Guest m burlock

PLEASE tell me where I can find a UP TO DATE and ACCURATE and COMPLETE list (including R1 RELEASE DATES) of ALL Shaw Bro.s martial arts titles that have been released and will be released by Image Entertainment in R1. Thank-you.

mburlock

Archived