Shaw Brothers films to be released on DVD in North America!!

Guest CodyJack

It's just that with only 30 titles to start with, I'm worried that they're beginning with far too many older, slow-as-molasas films that could potentially end Image's Shaw experiment before it really has a chance to start.

I understand that and agree to a point. While I think all of them are pretty good/fun films, we all had no say in the titles of course.

So is that to suggest that Image might be looking to a market other than kung fu fans for these films?

Um, I realize that we all want these to do well, and I'm not arguing with you. I do not talk for Image, I work indepedently for a reason. My point was that you can not ONLY gear all of these films towards kung fu fans, as that would perhaps make them mad at the series as a whole. If you sell these as action packed kung fu films, people will buy them and perhaps feel cheated. They DO have these titles, so they now they have to sell them. How would you do it Seven, if not trying to find other audences that would also be interested in them? I think I MIGHT sell it as simply the "Shaw Brothers Collection," with all the different genres there instead of making some sort of kung fu line, which this won't be. But I have no say in what they do in the end.

But for instance, the "Monkey" films would work well with the Mondo Macabro crowd who like crazy fantasy films, they would enjoy those more than the average joe or even the kung fu lover. I'm not saying leave out the kung fu fan, but market it in addition to the kung fu fan. I would take the films and release two a month alternating between genres and time period. In other words, have a film like Legendary Weapons...connected with a "lesser" title. That way, instead of releasing all the "good" stuff at once, and running out of these films, you carry them throughout the whole collection. So if one doesn't sell well, the other one picks you up. It was this idea that HKL never got. They released all their Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee titles all at once and then couldn't release the older films because they were afraid they wouldn't make the money of the Chan films. Had they alternated, they could have released the older films and the Lee and Chan films would have picked up the slack.

But in a way, this is the same problem that companies have argued with about Shaw Brothers films for years. Everyone wants the kung fu stuff, but anything else would be to slow or wouldn't be understood by the average viewer. At this point, the films are there, the idea is to figure out how to sell them to the public.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sevenhooks
Um, I realize that we all want these to do well, and I'm not arguing with you. I do not talk for Image, I work indepedently for a reason.

Sorry if I came off as contentious in any way.

It makes me wonder though exactly what the process was for Image when acquiring these specific titles.

Did they choose them? And if so, by what if any method did they go about in making their selections.

Or was it a case of Celestial saying in effect, "Here's what we're offering to you right now as a package - take it or leave it."

My point was that you can not ONLY gear these films towards kung fu fans, as that would perhaps make them mad at the series as a whole. If you sell these as action packed kung fu films, people will buy them and perhaps feel cheated. They DO have these titles, so they now they have to sell them. How would you do it, if not trying to find other audences that would also be interested in them? For instance, the "Monkey" films would work well with the Mondo Macabro crowd who like crazy fantasy films, they would enjoy those more than the average joe or even the kung fu lover.

Okay, that makes sense.

Although I can't help but detect a hint of ominous resignation in what you say.

Again, I just hope they sell well.

This is the same problem that companies have argued with swordplay films for years ie that they are too slow or can't be understood by the average viewer.

Yeah, I've heard the swordplay argument over the years too.

As I'm sure I remember you pointing out in the past, I tend to think that many of the Shaw sword pictures COULD do well here under the right circumstances.

And some of those titles I mentioned do in fact fall under that sub-genre - it's just that there are SO many better titles, even in that sub-genre.

Ah well, you work with what you have.

At this point, the films are there, the idea is to sell them to the public.

Ah well, you work with what you have.

:D

Guest gfanikf

I can speak from experience those Monkey films are great I had the VCD set of all 3 till I gave it to SC. I cant wait till those pop up absoluetly wonderful films. I wonder if it will be dubbed that series would be great to hear with regulars.

Linn any idea if the Shaws ever had the Monkey trilogy or any film in it dubbed?

Guest killer meteor

Interesting points about HKL - notice how often they now reissue stuff in boxsets. They do a lot of good work mind, but not very much if you're a old school fan - Legend of a Fighter, anyone?

Guest chen lung

Would be good to make sure they are supplied with true anamorphic sources and making sure the DVDs are flagged progressive.

5.1 audio would be good for the defaulting original theatrical soundtrack if it was remixed sensibly by Image themselves (I.E. Mei Ah).

Perhaps by now, Celestial have found better materials for some movies and superior restoration equipment that can remove blobs and the infamous stains.

It's a shame Miramax have quite a lot of the MA ones but with scissorhands away, they maybe treated with respect:eek !

Thanks as ever, for the info Linn:) !

Guest killer meteor

"5.1 audio would be good for the defaulting original theatrical soundtrack if it was remixed sensibly by Image themselves (I.E. Mei Ah)."

Nah, mono's good enough

Guest yryewhygsdbndsx

why is everyone so concerned about english dubs?i would rather have the chinese soundtracks with sub's then have the goofy british accents.

Guest TheManInWhite

"why is everyone so concerned about english dubs?i would rather have the chinese soundtracks with sub's then have the goofy british accents."

To nip this in the bud before we have another dubs vs. subs blowup, people (like myself) were introduced to these films thru those "goofy british accents" in the theaters and on TV. Call it nostalgic, call it set in our ways but that's how some of us prefer it. If you only like subs, that's great. In fact, I'm totally for subs since all the films weren't made with English dubs. Nonetheless, if dubs are available, I'm grabbing those.

Guest Senor Quack

I'd also like to add that while the subs are "passable" on the R3 Celestials, some of them have been pretty bad. In addition to the English dubs, improved English subtitles would be another reason to buy. Not necessarily enough to make me double dip mind you, but if there are R3 titles I've held off on, I'd be much more likely to buy the R1 version if there was a chance of improved subtitles.

i have about 150 kung fu movies all of which are english dubs and i love them that way.call them hokey or cheesey or whatever but thats the way i prefer them. it was always fun making some dumb sounding quote from kungfu movies. the only oriental language one i have is KILLER CLANS and i hope to someday get an english dub version of that. i can just imagine the voices and how cool it would be to hear them. maybe KILLER CLANS will make the image list. lets hope:lol

Guest chen lung

You're probably right James :) . But still, it would be a nice option to have if the materials are used sensibly and remain faithful to their ansestor;) .

Guest ironfistedmonk2003

I think 7 is just expressing his concern that the older style of film making (not just Shaw Brothers) wont sell too well in todays market. I dont see people rushing out to buy Hitchcock films and putting them top of the best sellers list even though the guys films are considered all time classics. Whether he likes or dislikes the older films is irrelevant, what he is worried about is that alot of the titles are "old" style film making and if they dont sell then region 1 releases could dry up.

Yes the earlier films had better storylines but the storytelling back in the day was slow, I have the same problem with some of the older films dragging in places, I have a problem with the newer films moving at 100 mph too but that is what the new generation seems to like and that is the market most media seems to be geared to these days. I'm sure 7 and everyone else on here hopes that these films sell millions and we see a resurgance in Kung Fu/Hong Kong action cinema, its not about taking cheap shots at all.

Guest David G Rees

As long as they are marketed right and the specs are good they should sell ok.

Just dont make the mistake Momentum made in the UK of sub par releases, i.e. non-anamorphic, no English dubs, no extras and high prices.

As a sidenote does anybody know if they plan to release anymore they have been silent on the issue?

Guest mr HKmovie

I have a Southgate original VHS of Bells of Death that I have been trying to sell for YEARS! I somehow doubt it will be a big seller on DVD here in the U.S.

And I've been to screenings of the older ('60s) Shaw "classics". Many people just laugh at them and complain about how slow they are. If you were outside the screening room you would think people were watching a bad comedy.

Guest Yakuza954
I have a Southgate original VHS of Bells of Death that I have been trying to sell for YEARS! I somehow doubt it will be a big seller on DVD here in the U.S.

And I've been to screenings of the older ('60s) Shaw "classics". Many people just laugh at them and complain about how slow they are. If you were outside the screening room you would think people were watching a bad comedy.

This is why movies like Charlies Angels: Full Throttle and Shrek 2 rule the American Box Office.

Guest FarEastPirate

WHATS WITH @#%$ LIKE MONKEY GOES WEST.

tell Image to release House Of traps, kid with the golden arm & Chinese Super Ninjas.

Dont waste time on crap like that

Guest sevenhooks

And I've been to screenings of the older ('60s) Shaw "classics". Many people just laugh at them and complain about how slow they are. If you were outside the screening room you would think people were watching a bad comedy. <!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>This is why movies like Charlies Angels: Full Throttle and Shrek 2 rule the American Box

<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

I'm sure you'd agree that this sort of reaction is certainly not unique to America.

I'd say it's even worse in HK right now with nearly every film being marketed towards

the teeny bopper set in some way, shape or form.

That said, Mr. HKmovie is correct in his assessment.

And whether he's referring to US or HK audiences, the response will no doubt be the same, generally speaking.

(ps... I hope somebody over at Image is reading these posts)

and can say the dvds will have untouched audio and the films that have dub tracks will have dub tracks. If you've ever seen the films dubbed, you'll see them again. As for this:

WHATS WITH @#%$ LIKE MONKEY GOES WEST.

tell Image to release House Of traps, kid with the golden arm & Chinese Super Ninjas.

It's because another company owns those. To be blunt, fans should be happy with the ones they are getting. They could be getting nothing and waiting for a company who doesn't give a damn about the films to release these titles at some "later date." The folks running this arm of IMAGE, HATE the audio tracks and will get the originals anyway they have to.

And I want to point out, I completely see Seven's point. To spell it out, you all know I love these films, but it WOULD have been smarter business to have gotten more of the "faster" kung fu films IMO. But Image were looking at getting a good cross section of Shaw Brothers films, not just kung fu. As such, I think the accomplished what they were looking to do, as this is a nice sampler of the Shaws output. And to be clear, I'm not saying every film here has to sell like gang busters for them to make money and get more. The films were bought as a package, so if Hex doesn't sell well, but Legendary Weapons...does, then that's great.

Guest TheManInWhite

For the sake of everyone else who is interested in the forthcoming Image releases, these posts will be removed. Sorry guys! You can slug it out in the General Interest section if you wish or just set up a pay-per-view bout. :lol

Archived