Shaw Brothers films to be released on DVD in North America!!

Guest CodyJack

Guest justkungfuman

Great News!!

Seen this movie at the drive-in theater as a teen.

I can replace my bad quality dub!! Yea!!:rollin :lol

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest yryewhygsdbndsx

so we get 30 titles, from image, but then we have a long wait till we get more i take it?depending on how well these titles sell?

so if i was a true shaw brothers fanatic, id have a region free dvd player to play my image titles and then still be able to buy the region 3 dvds that arent gonna be released,on the image label. hmmmmm ,makes sence.

if they do well, they will buy thirty more. If sales suck by about the 20th release or so, they won't buy anymore. :( But if everyone that wanted corrected soundtracks gets these, then they should be fine. The FIRST thing I talked to them about was correct mono soundtracks (english and original) and they are really driven to get them. The only problem is, while Celestial owns the English dub tracks, they do not have them all in properly cared for elements. Sooo, I might have to do some hunting. :)

Guest sevenhooks
Sooo, I might have to do some hunting.

Well let me know if you need help hunting!

(I'm serious too. I'll fly to Clearwater Bay on my own dime if need be)

Hey, it's a start.

I'll say this, at least someone is making an effort to give us region 1 releases. I'll buy at least 8 or 10 of the ones listed

Truely uncut Human Lanterns and 16X9 enhanced transfer.

Thanks for the link.

Guest Markgway

Obviously I'll have to wait and see how each title compares to the IVL I have... but these five...

INTIMATE CONFESSIONS OF A CHINESE COURTESAN

THE WATER MARGIN

LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA

HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL

SHAOLIN INTRUDERS

Would be nice to have with original mono tracks.

I suppose it partly depends on how much tampering was done with the 5.1 audio.

they won't be using the 5.1 audio tracks. EVERY effort (and I mean every) is going to be used to have the original mono soundtracks on there. As for trailers, not sure. I can say you'll see some things that have NEVER been seen before as far as extras. And I truly mean that. I'm extreamly excited about what they plan to do for the extras. If everything works out, you guys will love it.

Guest sevenhooks

Looking at that list and reading that they plan to release 2 titles per month starting from April '06...

...that would lead me to believe that these are all the titles we'll see in '06.

Guest Shaolin Patriot

Above all, I'm looking forward to what Image can provide regarding the special features. I'm sure plenty of extras exist; it's only a matter of researching and locating the master source material. There is actually a good documentary on the Shaw Bros. Studio called "Fist of Fire," which includes a good interview with David Chiang, audition sessions with some of the minor female supporting actresses and sound effects mixing. This documentary is actually found on some of the Ventura/Video Asia releases.

please read a couple of posts above yours for the answer on dubs. As for docs, I've told Image about a few period docs they should look for, but there's more of a chance you'll see something new on these. The ball will REALLY get rolling at the end of this week.

Guest Markgway

I'm not too pissed about the IVL titles that have bird-virus (I can't afford to buy them all again!) but ones which have new fight foley (and synth music) like LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA & SHAOLIN INTRUDERS (off-hand) will be worth the mono upgrade.

Linn, do you know if Image will be including the original languages? I mean, quite often companies supply just one Chinese option regardless of whether it's the right one! There's a mix of Mandarin and Cantonese films on that list.

Guest sevenhooks
Linn, do you know if Image will be including the original languages? I mean, quite often companies supply just one Chinese option regardless of whether it's the right one! There's a mix of Mandarin and Cantonese films on that list.

That's an interesting question.

Guest sevenhooks

To be clear, I plan to buy every release to support Image in their noble endeavor, but.....

From the 18 titles listed thus far, I can't help but think there's too much of a leaning towards the very early (read: slow-moving action) titles.

While obviously I'd personally prefer more titles from '77-on, I'm more concerned with the average kung fu buying public who might be looking for stuff with the speed of a Venoms filck and get The WATER MARGIN instead.

Like I said, I plan to BUY EVERY title to support Image with the hope that more titles will be released.

But I know the American kung fu market very well and I just think that most of these titles (with the exception of about 5 or so) are just too SLOW, and might ultimately translate into SLOW sales.

I mean, INTIMATE CONFESSIONS OF A CHINESE COURTESAN?

Just an opinion. What do you think?

(also, Linn, I understand from what you're saying that these 18 might not be the first 18 to be released)

as I said, original audio, aka they should have the correct tracks Mark. And please note Seven, those are not all the titles. There's more post-75 titles on the way. Also, in the case of Intimate...I think they'd be well served to promote it as a classic Hong Kong film (which it is) and not just a kung fu film.

Guest Firecrane

There will be some titles that I will purchase again, because I really liked the movie. But like Sevenhooks mentioned, as in the case of slow film's like INTIMATE CONFESSIONS OF A CHINESE COURTESAN, there are some titles that I'm content just to have it, than buy it again just because the film has the english dub.

that most of these films have NEVER been out on legit (or otherwise) video in the US. And the ones that have, perhaps under different titles. That's a LOT of people that haven't seen these. I mean, hardcore kung fu fans make up a VERY small percentage of the average population. For instance, Intimate... wasn't well known to even the average kung fu fan until it came out on HK dvd. It would cross over well with the Japanese and Hong Kong film fan, as well as fans of world cinema in general. It's one of a handful that would have made wonderful Criterion releases IMO. And before anyone asks, I came in after the titles had already been picked, so I had no say in what they got. With that, there's still only a couple of titles I wouldn't have picked up right away ie as part of the first 30.

that most of these films have NEVER been out on legit (or otherwise) video in the US. And the ones that have, perhaps under different titles. That's a LOT of people that haven't seen these. I mean, hardcore kung fu fans make up a VERY small percentage of the average population. For instance, Intimate... wasn't well known to even the average kung fu fan until it came out on HK dvd. It would cross over well with the Japanese and Hong Kong film fan, as well as fans of world cinema in general. It's one of a handful that would have made wonderful Criterion releases IMO. And before anyone asks, I came in after the titles had already been picked, so I had no say in what they got. With that, there's still only a couple of titles I wouldn't have picked up right away ie as part of the first 30.

Guest sevenhooks
And please note Seven, those are not all the titles. There's more post-75 titles on the way. Also, in the case of Intimate...I think they'd be well served to promote it as a classic Hong Kong film (which it is) and not just a kung fu film.

I understand that. My mentioning of CHINESE CORTESAN was more of an aside.

It's just that with only 30 titles to start with, I'm worried that they're beginning with far too many older, slow-as-molasas films that could potentially end Image's Shaw experiment before it really has a chance to start.

THE WATER MARGIN

VENGEANCE IS A GOLDEN BLADE

HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL

MONKEY GOES WEST

CAVE OF THE SILKEN WEB

WANDERING SWORDSMAN

BELLS OF DEATH

That's more than a third of the initial 18 titles.

I'm just saying, it's too bad that with SO MANY FAR BETTER EXAMPLES in the Shaw catalog, and with such a comparitively small amount of titles to start with, that they couldn't have acquired better titles than that.

I mean, I could pick 10 titles right now for EACH of those 7 I've listed that I KNOW would easily outsell them.

(and if you'd care to indulge me, just say the word)

I only pray their initial sales are good enough to where we have a chance to see more.

I guess that's really all I'm saying.

:(

I mean, hardcore kung fu fans make up a VERY small percentage of the average population.

So is that to suggest that Image might be looking to a market other than kung fu fans for these films?

THE WATER MARGIN

VENGEANCE IS A GOLDEN BLADE

HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL

MONKEY GOES WEST

CAVE OF THE SILKEN WEB

WANDERING SWORDSMAN

BELLS OF DEATH

If so, I'd be interested to know who they are.

If not, I'm afraid these are just going to be too slow for the average consumer.

Archived