Shaw Brothers films to be released on DVD in North America!!

Guest CodyJack

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest David G Rees

Shame its only 30 titles but its a start! Lets all hope for original mono and maybe an original English dubbed option?

Are these the releases you've been talking about or are this additional releases?

Glad to see this finally happen for region 1.

I'll support them as much as I can. Hope others will also.

Guest Firecrane

This sounds pretty cool and hopefully the following will occur:

1) They start to release them early next year.

2) They contain the original English dub that we all seem to love.

3) Contain Mono for those people on this board that hate the 5.1

4) I can be able to rent them via Netflix or Blockbuster.

:D

5) Hopefully they can get more than 30 in the future.

this is it! Image is the company I've been talking about releasing these. Many of them will be the horror and exploitation films. A couple of things: They will start releasing next year. They are getting mono tracks and dubs for films that have them last I heard. And they are trying to get get Celestial to track down extras and cut scenes. I know they've got some interviews with some directors and cast members planned. If they sell well, they will get more. If you thought when IVL released these in Hong Kong was a tough year, next year will be a banner year for kung fu lovers with this, Eastern Star, Rarescope, etc. I don't know how I'm going to get all the releases! Well, actually I do, as I'll be working on many of them. :b

Thank you for confirming this.

Glad this was made a sticky thread.

As I stated above, let's do our best to support them.

This is a great opportunity to finally get some of the movies we love released the way we want them.

all those fans that bought up the bootleg dvds do what they say and buy these legit releases. If not, this will be a short experiment.

Guest cinemastrikesback

Also can you fill me in on the details of why 2006 will be such a great year? First I've heard of Eastern Star and Rarescope. I've slept some since my last visit here. Thats awesome news your working on them. Big congratulations that someone out there has finally realized Ric Meyers ain't all that and a bag of chips.

Guest yryewhygsdbndsx

oh hell yeah!!!

i have alot of image stuff, they range from no frills cheapies to carefully researched treasures. image ,along with blue-underground,anchor bay,synapse,shriek show, and criterion never seem to let me down.so i guess i will be spending alot of money with image in the near future. this after scouring my chicago china towns for any of the old vhs shaw brothers tapes i could find, i used to have a golden rental spot that had all the shaws stuff you could imagine. but they closed damnit.i found one place that actually carries the celestial dvds, and vcds, and was just about to buy an all region dvd player, but screw it ill wait for these!!!

The press release refers to Heaven and Hell as a "martial arts classic."

Don't get me wrong I like Heaven and Hell just fine but I wouldn't call it a "martial arts classic."

Just thought it was funny.

Be nice to get this english dubbed along with original language and original trailer.

Also the Brave Archer movies.

Guest monk sante

I have most of the celestial dvd's but I hope these guys release all of the shaw brothers popular classics.

I'll be waiting with my credit card at hand! :eek

Guest Ministry88

Wow! This is the best news I've read all day! Man, is the day where I put on a fully uncut, beautifully restored BOXER'S OMEN nearly upon me? And even more lost Shaw Brothers horror treasures like BEWITCHED and CORPSE MANIA? :eek

Guest limubai2000

My wallet and credit cards are cowering in fear...

I have to figure out how to explain this to the old lady... 30 more DVDs.

Guest cinemastrikesback

This is also great for the average North American consumer that has blindly bought many of the washed out dubbed bootleg-esque kung fu films via the Best Buys (and elsewhere) to finally get a taste of a restored uncut kung fu film. I hope "Boxer From Shantung" gets thrown into the mix or just a recent Chen Kuan-tai interview.

Guest teako170
Just get me a complete China Town Kid,

That would be interesting. If CK was one of their titles, I wonder if it would be the same version IVL released or the version we all grew to know. It would be nice if it were the latter, but somehow I doubt it

Guest Chinatown Kid

I sure would like to see the international version get the Celestial treatment. The version they did release sure did lesson the dramatic impact of the film. And please include the words in cantonese to the opening song instead of just the music, it was quite catchy!

Guest killer meteor

AFAIK, the international edit we all know IS the Hong Kong edit. The one on the Celestial DVDs is an alternate edit, presumbly for Taiwan or Malaysia

Archived