Undisputed V (202?) - Scott Adkins

laagi

In a recent Q&A with streaming service Hi-Yah Scott teased that there's already a script out there which he approves of. Curious what you guys make of this.

Would you be down for another round with the most complete fighter in the world? Also Scott hinted at finances being one of the main obstacles. What about a kickstarter or similar campaign, would any of you pitch in?

To be honest I'd love to get another Boyka movie. Maybe a final chapter which gives the character a respectful and kick-ass send-off.

• Like 4

One Armed Boxer

As much as it pains me to say it, I think I’d probably take a pass. ‘Boyka’ was 6 years ago and already pretty thin on the story front, so I’m not sure what else they could do with the franchise at this point which wouldn’t be a tired rehash of earlier entries.

Plus there’s the current political situation. I don’t think any investors will be keen to put money into a story where the protagonist is a Russian antihero right now.

On a side note, I remember back in 2019 the franchise was being proposed to continue as a TV series that Adkins had mentioned he’d be up for. Seems like nothing ever came of those plans though unfortunately.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I like Adkins. I think he's a massive talent. But he needs to stop going back to the Undisputed well again and again. The last one was fucking awful. He's shown he can do so much more with movies like The Debt CollectorAvengementOne Shot and Accident Man. It's time to put Boyka to bed.

If they DO decide to make another one, I hope they move away from the "underground fighting" gimmick. It's become such a tired trope.

• Like 3

kingofkungfu2002
47 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Plus there’s the current political situation. I don’t think any investors will be keen to put money into a story where the protagonist is a Russian antihero right now.

The Boyka character is from Kyiv, Ukraine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Apparently, Boyka is technically Ukranian according to Adkins. Apparently the city he hails from is located in the Ukraine. So we could get an 80s-style right-wing power fantasy in which Boyka jump kicks Putin's soldiers into submission and frees his homeland.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Seen that about the TV series earlier when creating this topic. Doesn't seem to have led to any fruition whatsoever.

As for Boyka I think it's undisputed (sorry I had to) that Scott Adkins will forever be associated with this character. Just like Stallone with Rocky. Although I realize for some comparing the two may be going out on a limb.

As I said I'd be down for one last chapter. Although I have to agree with the consensus that they'd have to bring something new to the table aside from the usual underground fighting scenario. Even though I'm a sucker for it!

I truly wish that some day we can have our entertainment (again) without any politics. I'm a dreamer I guess.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
7 hours ago, kingofkungfu2002 said:

The Boyka character is from Kyiv, Ukraine.

7 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Apparently, Boyka is technically Ukranian according to Adkins.

I did recall Adkins made a post at the beginning of the conflict between Ukraine and Russia where he mentioned the same, but then I thought I'd imagined it since literally ever source on the internet seems to have the character of Boyka listed as Russian. Probably need to work on making that a bit clearer in the series itself - but back to my original point, in that case having a movie which features a Ukrainian forced to fight in a Russian prison right now is likely an even less appealing prospect for producers! 

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
19 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I did recall Adkins made a post at the beginning of the conflict between Ukraine and Russia where he mentioned the same, but then I thought I'd imagined it since literally ever source on the internet seems to have the character of Boyka listed as Russian. Probably need to work on making that a bit clearer in the series itself - but back to my original point, in that case having a movie which features a Ukrainian forced to fight in a Russian prison right now is likely an even less appealing prospect for producers! 

That's the only that irked me about the last one. Boyka was finally out, but by the end he was going back to prison. Boyka needs to be out and address the backstory of why he was in prison in the first place. That should be the finale to the character. A Boyka revenge flick.

• Like 3

Scott Adkins himself seems very fond of the Boyka character and always willing to don... well, Boyka's black shorts one more time.

Even in a recent video interview with imdb regarding his three most iconic characters, the ones he lists are the current one, Killa on JW4, and also Mike Fallon from Accident Man and Yuri Boyka from Undisputed. At a certain point, he even mentions he would like to do more Boyka because there's still a lot to tell, notably as concerns his past.

I'd personally love to see a new Boyka, because I feel there's still a lot we don't know about him. Also, after seeing Boyka

Spoiler

so happy and smiley at the end of U3, it was disheartening to watch him go back to prison at the end of U4.

On a different perspective, these films might be more successful in the current context and with the existing business models. Not only have they consistently been undermined by piracy, but they have always also had terrible marketing. And this was particularly apparent in the last: not only was the movie leaked, which in itself says a lot, but then their reply to that was... constantly pushing back release?! :ooh: Also, you can find virtually anything with Boyka's face on it, but not one single one of those are official merchandising. 

Concerning the character's nationality, Boyka is indeed Ukrainian, as shown in one of the first scenes in U2: 

I don't recall that distinction ever being made again after though. But it could provide an interesting angle for investors and the audience alike, with a Ukrainian (anti-)hero. 

The problem with Boyka: Undisputed was that it mostly feels like they put the character in a different movie. I believe Scott even acknowledged this in one of his Art of Action, that they used the plot from a different project he once had with Florentine but fell through. Strangely, the very same plot might have actually worked as an origins story,

Spoiler

since the film ends with Boyka going to prison for first degree murder, and his sacrificing his dream for the sake of someone else, especially if Alma never even came to visit him, would also explain why Boyka is so angry when we first meet him.

So, a new movie addressing Boyka's origins and at the same time also giving him a proper / happy send-off would be ideal.

And I have read a few ideas from fans over the years that could potentially work. Like Boyka breaking out of prison with the help of the giant he faces at the end of U4, fleeing to the US, ending up in an MA tournament to avenge Turbo's death, where other former characters are also fighting (e.g. Chambers).

In any case, they shouldn't wait too long. Scott Adkins is turning 47 soon, and this is not just any fighting movie, but one of the most physically demanding series, where people expect jaw-dropping logic-defying moves and skills.

So, the time for a final send-off that will likely not need to compromise on the quality of the coreographies and movesets is now.

I'm not interested in seeing an Undisputed with a different character, someone else playing Boyka, or Scott being significantly stunt doubled. 

Edited by Agent U
  • Like 2

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, Agent U said:

In any case, they shouldn't wait too long. Scott Adkins is turning 47 soon, and this is not just any fighting movie, but one of the most physically demanding series, where people expect jaw-dropping logic-defying moves and skills.

I hate to be a naysayer but Adkin's it too old to play Boyka again. Or at least too old to play Boyka with the same style of fighting Boyka is known for. Adkins himself has says it takes longer and longer for him to warm up for those types of moves and I just can't see him pulling off a film filled with his trademark kicks.

If he does return to Boyka, they'd probably need to acknowledge that he's older and switch up his fighting style a little.

With that said, as I said above, the last think I want in an Undisputed V. That would be two steps back for Adkins who's doing his best work at the moment.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I hate to be a naysayer but Adkin's it too old to play Boyka again. Or at least too old to play Boyka with the same style of fighting Boyka is known for. Adkins himself has says it takes longer and longer for him to warm up for those types of moves and I just can't see him pulling off a film filled with his trademark kicks.

If he does return to Boyka, they'd probably need to acknowledge that he's older and switch up his fighting style a little.

With that said, as I said above, the last think I want in an Undisputed V. That would be two steps back for Adkins who's doing his best work at the moment.

It's different, of course. But Accident Man: Hitman's Holiday is recent and he still had a very acrobatic fighting style there, including some of his iconic Boyka moves. So, with a few adjustments it could probably still work without departing much from the usual Boyka style.

More time goes by and more difficult it will be to pull off.

I understand your point, and I likely wouldn't even have said anything had Scott not recently expressed the desire for more Boyka himself.

Trust me, I'd like nothing more than to see him break through to bigger things. But despite all the attention and praise he's received from JW4, certainly more and better than his previous turns in blockbusters, until that materialises in something better and bigger for him next, DTV actioners will likely remain his bread & butter. And imo better more Boyka than more supporting parts in Christian Sesma turds, which unfortunately have made up nearly half of his latest filmography.

• Like 1

I would like to see Undi5Puted, as Adkins clearly adores playing Boyka, and if he's digging the script for it then I guess it's a "just" a matter of funding.

It's been a long time since the 4th one!

If it's a matter of crowdfunding, I'd be up for it, but let's see what happens!

• Like 4

ShaOW!linDude
3 hours ago, Karlos said:

Undi5Puted

Well, we have the title and I like it! Call Florentine and Adkins. We're halfway there.

Adkins definitely needs to revisit Boyka one more time. I want to know why he was in prison in the first place, and that should be the story arc. I've always envisioned he was framed for something.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1