Baby Assassins (2021) / Baby Assassins 2 (2023) / Baby Assassins 3 (2024)

whitesnake

Drunken Monk

I was lucky enough to watch Baby Assassins 3 today. I can assure you that it’s the best of the series by a mile. Fantastic plot, packed with action (the best of Sonomura’s career, in my eyes), and truly endearing.

I’ll leave it as that since NYAFF hasn’t kicked off yet. But I can honestly say it’s my favorite film of the year so far.

• Like 4

Gurenadier

It's honestly kind of shocking to see how positive the reviews have been.

I've been a big fan of the series from the moment I saw the first movie, but I was expecting Nice Days to be similar to 2; noticeably more polished, but overall a slacker comedy with a few cool action sequences sprinkled throughout. The fact that not only the action is ramped up, but the acting and plot are getting praise has me so pumped to see it myself.

I'm excited to see how the TV show turns out as well.

PandaPawPaw

Wait there's a Baby Ass TV show coming too? Will it feature the same actors?

Drunken Monk
41 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Wait there's a Baby Ass TV show coming too? Will it feature the same actors?

Same actors, yup.

PandaPawPaw
25 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Same actors, yup.

Awesome! I hate it when they make a TV series off a movie and replace all the actors.

Gurenadier
12 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Awesome! I hate it when they make a TV series off a movie and replace all the actors.

No worries there. Same director, choreographer, and characters coming back.

The show will actually premiere just over 3 weeks before the movie hits theaters, interestingly enough. 

I hope it gets released outside of Japan. They've been good about distributing the movies, and there have been some english promotional tweets for the show, but when I remember how Sakamoto's other movies are still japan only, I worry a bit.

• Like 1

I don't think it's necessary to create a new thread for Baby Assassins Everyday, so I just want to say that I really enjoyed episode one. Tackling the Baby Assassins world in episodic bites works really well and gives us the usual Chisato and Mahiro shenanigans. The brief action beat at the start of the episode is loads of fun, too. Though a little short for my liking.

I like that there's seemingly going to be an over-arching plot and each episode isn't going to be a standalone story. I look forward to watching more as they drop.

4 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

For those that want it (with English subs)... 

Where does this fit in with the movies? Can I watch this now or do I have to watch movies 2 & 3 first?

Edited by PandaPawPaw

44 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Where does this fit in with the movies? Can I watch this now or do I have to watch movies 2 & 3 first?

It’s fine to watch without having seen 2 & 3. It’s very “standalone.”

• Like 1

On 9/4/2024 at 7:26 PM, PandaPawPaw said:

You don't have to watch either of them, but this episode includes some characters who were introduced in the second movie, so I'd recommend seeing 2.

• Buddha Bless You 1