MASTER OF DISASTER/JACKIE CHAN ?

Guest monwobobbo

Guest monwobobbo

just wondering about this film. BCI released it on dvd. it appears to me that its acutually NEW KIDS IN TOWN but i don't recall ever reading that jackie was in it. the chan scenes seem to be edited into the film as they have little to do with the rest of the film. anyone know the deal?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HungKuen

Yeah, it is the Lau Kar-Wing-directed New Kids in Town with some random scenes from the Hong Kong version of The Protector with Jackie Chan edited in it.

Guest hkpyanfar

...and some set-up scenes of the two brothers in China, and of Moon Lee and Dad exercising on the roof have been cut. The film is a good one, so I'm disappointed with these changes.

Guest The Running Man

How did they make those scenes from the HK version of the Protector make any sense in that movie?

Guest hkpyanfar

I haven't watched the whole thing, but the beginning of the movie is simply a JC/ML scene tacked on. ML cries over here father being dead and at least one Dad scene is missing from the movie, so....

Maybe they justify it as a way to cut out a character????

...any way, it's a disappointment.

Guest Atomic Mystery Monster

I recall reviews of the original VHS version from Xenon said that the Jackie Chan footage was randomly inserted, although one could infer that the villain mentioned in both sets of footage was intended to be the same person.

Later Xenon "cut and pastes" just added in footage to the beginning of the movie in order to justify it as a "[insert name here] movie". If I remember correctly, a few Ground Zero titles did this as well.

That's right, it was a "mixtape" of Protector and New Kids in Town. I think they were trying to get some "Jackie" in there to boost sales as this came out when he was near the height of his crossover popularity. I believe Ground Zero was forced to withdraw the title when whoever had the rights to the Protector found out.

Guest Atomic Mystery Monster
I think they were trying to get some "Jackie" in there to boost sales as this came out when he was near the height of his crossover popularity.

Bingo. They later decided that flat-out lying about Jackie's involvement was cheaper than editing in footage. This gave the world JACKIE CHAN'S SECOND STRIKE and JACKIE CHAN'S CRIME FORCE (which featured Jackie Chan lookalike Conan Lee).

I believe Ground Zero was forced to withdraw the title when whoever had the rights to the Protector found out.

That's news to me. If that's true, I wonder why they haven't gone after BCI for their release of it.

That's news to me. If that's true, I wonder why they haven't gone after BCI for their release of it.

I think it's a reflection of where his popularity has gone

Archived