The Witch: Part 2. The Other One (2022) / Hoon Jung Park

laagi

One Armed Boxer
4 minutes ago, laagi said:

@One Armed Boxer Did you miss this one too? Wasn't even aware that there will be a Part 2 LOL.

It's on the radar. :smile Will hit Korean cinemas on the 15th!

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

One Armed Boxer

I confess I wasn't much of a fan after watching 'The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion' back when it came out in 2018, and 4 years later the sequel doesn't do much to improve on any of its faults. Plus, can someone please tell Park Hoon-jung that not every movie has to be over 2 hours long!? I gave 'The Witch: Part 2. The Other One' the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/the-witch-part-2-the-other-one-2022-review/

PS I'm on a roll! This is the 2nd Korean movie I've got to ahead of @laagi:tongueout

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I confess I wasn't much of a fan after watching 'The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion' back when it came out in 2018, and 4 years later the sequel doesn't do much to improve on any of its faults. Plus, can someone please tell Park Hoon-jung that not every movie has to be over 2 hours long!? I gave 'The Witch: Part 2. The Other One' the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/the-witch-part-2-the-other-one-2022-review/

PS I'm on a roll! This is the 2nd Korean movie I've got to ahead of @laagi:tongueout

Ouch LOL. At least I beat you to Bad City ;) But I'm catching up Broker is next for me.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 3

Finally watched it and while it's not up there with part one it still made for a fun watch!

Honestly I didn't even mind the over 2 hours runtime. Shin Si-A in her first starring role did a great job!

The story is mostly there to serve the action. Unfortunately a lot of it feels like a typical superhero movie. And while it does show explicit carnage, I do miss the more grounded approach from part one.

Also some rather poor CGI doesn't really fit the overall look of the movie. Which for the most part was well captured.

Last but not least there's some rather unnecessary attempts at comic relief. Especially with a english speaking sidekick.

@One Armed Boxer Did you also notice that a member of the shanghai hit squad seems to just disappear!? during their last standoff.

The-Witch2-11.jpeg

Nevertheless if you're looking for a bloody supernatural movie with a pinch of story and characters. I recommend you watch this!

• Like 2

I enjoyed The Witch: Part 1 The Subversion but thought this sequel in name only was pretty bad. As usual, the weigooks are just terrible in  99% of Korean movies. No idea where they find these foreign actors but this South African actor, Justin Harvey's debut is not a memorable one as the comedic relief. I agree with @laagi, the English dialog between him and Jo-hyeon (actress Seo Eun-soo) was just cringe. Especially the "macho" one liners, excessive cursing & failed comedic relief. I literally had to fast forward those scenes to get to the action & I felt the action scenes were grossly inferior to the first movie. Watch the first one and skip this one.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
On 11/5/2022 at 5:50 AM, laagi said:

@One Armed Boxer Did you also notice that a member of the shanghai hit squad seems to just disappear!? during their last standoff.

Honestly I didn't! The narrative was so crammed with poorly defined supporting characters that it must have passed me by, but I guess that means we can now look forward to 'The Witch: Part 3. The One Who Disappeared' .:tongueout

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Honestly I didn't! The narrative was so crammed with poorly defined supporting characters that it must have passed me by, but I guess that means we can now look forward to 'The Witch: Part 3. The One Who Disappeared' .:tongueout

Did you guys catch the post-credits scene? I thought I was able to finally breath a sigh of relief...

Spoiler

thinking that two of the most annoying characters were killed off but lo & behold, both managed to survive and of course, Seo Eun-soo continues with the macho one-upsmanship dialogue and the other one keeps the running gag going about her destroying things. So that means that these two will definitely be in Part 3.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

Did you guys catch the post-credits scene? I thought I was able to finally breath a sigh of relief...

Yes. What can I say? While everyone else is petitioning for a Nazarian Brothers spin-off from 'Day Shift', I'd be all in for a Jo-hyeon & Tom standalone outing! :tongueout

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

weigooks

Good one. I knew gaijin, gweilo and farang, didn't know the Korean term. I'll be using this, thx.

• Like 2

@One Armed Boxer lol thanks for your wonderful comments. You're on fire!

And yes that post credit scene was rather unnecessary or down right stupid. At least we got to see

Spoiler

Kim Da-mi again in the end.

Curious how that will play out in a third part. BTW, anybody know for how many parts they're going?

• Like 1

Just got through watching The Witch: Part 2, and I would say that it was okay. Not as good as the first, but I enjoyed, for the most part, what I saw. The story was a bit convoluted and the overuse of CGI(Which jumped from being okay to really crappy throughout the movie) are probably the two main gripes I have with the film. I did like the characters and there were some decent fights, so I'll give the movie a 4/5. I'm a fan of this world they have built so far, so I'm up to seeing a part 3.

• Like 3