I hate thinking Im going into a typical period flick and it turns out to be a city crime movie

Koravec

I hate thinking Im about to watch your typical period kung fu flick set in the chinese country and village and it turns out to be a modern day (to the time it was made) business crime, gangster-like movie. It was like the first time I got around to watching Way of The Dragon after watching all the other Bruce movies, thinking what is this and losing track and not caring about the plot half way through. However this is less of a discussion on that movie and more on the two types of kung fu films from the era. A good example is when I watched Chinatown Kid thinking I was about to go into an epic country village setting kung fu spectacle, and honestly felt similarly disappointed. Writing this as Im currently having this experience after just throwing in a movie called Return of the Scorpion.

Do you guys feel the same? Or maybe you feel the opposite and arent much of a fan of the run of the mill country fu flicks.

• Like 6

Beardys Feather

I agree with you @Koravec. I'm all about the period films set in the Taiwanese countryside or rural towns. :cool

I will watch 'modern day' films but don't get the same kick out of them! 

In fact, I find Legend Of The Drunken Master very frustrating as it basically switches from one to the other midway through! 😜

• Like 4

paimeifist

I actually like both types of movies plenty, but yeah whenever I expect it to be one way and it ends up being the other, it does kinda “throw me off”

• Like 4

1 hour ago, paimeifist said:

I actually like both types of movies plenty, but yeah whenever I expect it to be one way and it ends up being the other, it does kinda “throw me off”

Absolutely man, glad its not just me

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 3

I try to sneak peak a trailer before I pick something. Just to get the idea of what I’m in for. I like both, prefer the historical ones though. 

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane

I never do a blind watch of anything anymore. Don't look up extensive writings or spoilers but always familiarize myself with the basic info before commiting to any movie. Life is too short for blind watches. 

• Like 3

Cognoscente
On 7/6/2022 at 6:41 PM, Koravec said:

I hate thinking Im about to watch your typical period kung fu flick set in the chinese country and village and it turns out to be a modern day (to the time it was made) business crime, gangster-like movie. It was like the first time I got around to watching Way of The Dragon after watching all the other Bruce movies, thinking what is this and losing track and not caring about the plot half way through. However this is less of a discussion on that movie and more on the two types of kung fu films from the era. A good example is when I watched Chinatown Kid thinking I was about to go into an epic country village setting kung fu spectacle, and honestly felt similarly disappointed. Writing this as Im currently having this experience after just throwing in a movie called Return of the Scorpion.

Do you guys feel the same? Or maybe you feel the opposite and arent much of a fan of the run of the mill country fu flicks.

I can relate. Watching Meng Fei's Shaolin Avenger was a massive left turn.

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, Cognoscente said:

I can relate. Watching Meng Fei's Shaolin Avenger was a massive left turn.

What movie is that?

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
4 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

The King of Boxers.

Oh, never seen it under that title.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

I do want to get what I expect! I check the images on hkmdb, that does not always work but usually there are enough to get an impression.  Prefer period flicks in general but sometimes I'm in a more modern mood.

• Like 3

I usually do some research before picking up a film(Just enough to know what I'm getting), but this still has happened to me a few times. But I usually prefer modern settings for my MA flicks, so this wouldn't have been a problem for me I guess. 

• Like 3