Fighting Female Wuxia (and Special Effects) Films

Guest Meiriona

Guest Meiriona

Hi,

I've just seen "Zu Warriors", and I must say, it manages to fall into the category with others I've grown to love such as "The Bride with White Hair."

I'm a huge fan of kung fu fantasy (ie. not set in modern day) films - even better if the characters fly around and have mystical abilities - but I'm most intersted in those with female characters who can do the same.

If anyone would like to help me build a comprehensive list of these, please tell me the titles of any that you know. :)

Thank you!

Kate

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Poelie

You could look at some titles featuring Joey Wang and/or Brigitte Lin and Michelle Yeoh.

For instance The maidens of heavenly mountains (aka Dragon chronicles), Fire Dragon, Deadful Melody, Moon Warriors, Swordsman II, The East is Red, Eagle Shooting Heroes, Butterfly & Sword, Magic Crane, A Chinese legend, Handsome Siblings, Green Snake.

Flying ghosts are also always fun, like A Chinese Ghost Story I, II, III, Picture of a Nymph, Golden Swallow. Some titles I am not really sure about the flying....Also there's a whole wuxia world to explore at Shaw brothers (Cheng Pei Pei comes to mind).

Hope there's some new stuff here for you.

I'll second Greensnake, checkout any of the Journey to the West/Monkey King movies like Stephen Chow's "A Chinese Odyssey" (I haven't seen the Shaw movies yet!), Web of Death and the Battle Wizard would be 2 good old school ones to check out.

Guest Meiriona

Thank you for the help thus far, everyone.

Of course, it doesn't have to be wuxia/flying to go on the list. :)

Thank you,

Kate

Guest Liu chung liang

You could try these:

1966 - Come Drink With Me

1966 - Knight of Knights, The

1967 - One-Armed Swordsman

1967 - The Assassin

1968 - Bells of Death

1968 - Sword of Swords

1969 - Dragon Swamp

1969 - Golden Sword, The

1969 - The Invincible Fist

1969 - Killers Five

1969 - Return of the One-Armed Swordsman

1969 - Have Sword, Will Travel

1969 - Raw Courage

1970 - Twelve Gold Medallions

1971 - Lady Hermit, The

1971 - New One-Armed Swordsman, The

1971 - Rescue, The

1971 - Touch of Zen, A

1972 - Bandits from Shantung

1972 - Water Margin, The

1972 - Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan

1973 - The Fate of Lee Khan

1973 - Fearless Fighters

1976 - Killer Clans

1976 - Magic Blade, The

1976 - Web of Death, The

1977 - Battle Wizard, The

1977 - Clans of Intrigue

1977 - Jade Tiger

1977 - Death Duel

1977 - Green Dragon Inn

1977 - Sentimental Swordsman, The

1978 - Avenging Eagle, The

1978 - Clan of Amazons

1978 - Soul of the Sword

1979 - Deadly Breaking Sword, The

1979 - Last Hurrah for Chivalry

1980 - Roving Swordsman

1981 - Emperor and His Brother, The

1981 - Sword Stained with Royal Blood, The

1982 - Buddha's Palm

1984 - Secret Service of the Imperial Court

1984 - New Tales of the Flying Fox

1989 - Iceman Cometh, The

1983 - Duel to the Death

1998 - Storm Riders, The

2002 - Hero

2005 - Seven Swords

1993 - Kung Fu Cult Master ........ I definitely recommend this one with Jet Li and Sammo Hung.

If you like Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain, try The Legend of Zu (2001) with Tsui Hark, Yuen Woo Ping, Zhang Ziyi, and Sammo again. It's pretty much like a sequel I think, I don't know. The movie is kind of boring, but you might like it.

Guest peringaten

Some REAL classics there Liu - but a lot of them aren't female led... if i remember correctly i think a bunch of them don't have any female fighters at all...

Guest Liu chung liang
i think a bunch of them don't have any female fighters at all...

I know. :lol Some do though....

Like "Wing Chun", I guess... with Michelle Yeoh and Donnie Yen. Directed by Yuen Wo Ping.

She mentioned Zu.... and well, in that film. I think Yuen Biao is the lead, because I have this title. We do see Brigitte Lin, but she's not the main character.

In The Legend of Zu, we see Cecilia Cheung, and Zhang Ziyi, but the main lead is Ekin Cheng.

One Armed Boxer
On 8/17/2006 at 3:41 AM, Guest Poelie said:

For instance The maidens of heavenly mountains (aka Dragon chronicles), Fire Dragon, Deadful Melody, Moon Warriors, Swordsman II, The East is Red, Eagle Shooting Heroes, Butterfly & Sword, Magic Crane, A Chinese legend, Handsome Siblings, Green Snake.

On 8/17/2006 at 6:19 AM, Guest D1 Ma said:

You may check out Shadowless Sword - there are lots of special effects and wire-fu there

Who doesn't like to dig up a vintage thread every so often?  While doing a search for threads on my latest review - The Eagle Shooting Heroes - I came across this one and realised I've also given the full review treatment to many of the other titles mentioned here.  Check them out by clicking on the titles - 

The Eagle Shooting Heroes

The Dragon Chronicles: The Maidens of Heavenly Mountain

Deadful Melody

Handsome Siblings

Shadowless Sword

I would put Butterfly Sword on the list too. While Tony Leung and Donnie Yen have major roles, Michelle Yeoh is an integral part of the film as the "bow" to Leung's "human arrow" and the martial arts clan leader who is love with Leung, who loves Joey Wang's Butterfly and yet Yen's Yip Chun loves Michelle's character. 

Archived