The Gray Man (2022)

Drunken Monk

Drunken Monk

It looks like Netflix may have got this one right. Great cast, great directors and seemingly great action... 

• Like 3

How I miss the days of practical effects!? Seriously what's with the CGI these days. To me the whole thing looks pretty generic. But I do love Gosling, so I'll definitely check it out.

• Like 2

A by the numbers plot is saved by some big action scenes.

Especially one that literally lays waste to parts of an entire city.

Also noteworthy an early scene taking place on an airplane. Unfortunately pulled down by some terrible CGI effects. Is it just me or is that a thing with any Netflix production?

Ryan Gosling does his part as well as Chris Evans. Although neither of them have much to do or say for that matter other than some carnage. Which obviously ends with the two squaring off.

Speaking of which the finale is a bit of a let down. It features some rather laughable overpowering from one of the protagonists. At least there's some redemption with the aforementioned fight.

The action is exciting at times but also suffers from some of the usual problems. Close ups, a few too many cuts, abrupt endings, dark locations, overpowering protagonist and last but not least a PG-13 rating.

Given this is first and foremost a Netflix release I'm surprised they didn't go for an R rating. I'm just not a fan of bloodless headshots, sorry! But I will say that the Russo Brothers certainly squeezed out the most from that PG-13 rating.

Overall there's some fun to be had with at least the action. Everything else is just meh.

Last but not least let's address the stache in the room LOL. Of course they also had to put in a joke about Evans looks... I mean c'mon.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 3

ShaOW!linDude

It's a fun romp for a spy/assassin thriller. I really like Evans as the villain. He pulls the sociopath schtick quite well. Gosling's a good leading man, but I don't know that I really buy him as the action hero type. Maybe I just need to see more of him in that role. I loved the action sequences. While the CGI was blatantly noticeable at times, the chase sequence is bombastic and fun. I thought the end fight was good. Could've have stood to be a bit longer and more intricate, but I enjoyed it. Overall, a fun movie to lose yourself in for a couple of hours. Oh, and Jessica Henwick still looks great even with her hair chopped off.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

Was I entertained by this film? Yes. What is good? Not really. It's an average actioner bolstered by solid characters and a few decent action beats. Sadly, most of the action is not only generic but ridiculously obscured. Whether it be by shadows or CGI smoke. I know films have been masking stunt doubles for forever but it feels particularly egregious here. Unless there was another reason for for smoke, sparks and the like.

Had the action been a bit better, I would have really enjoyed this. There is a shootout in a town square, followed by a chase that I actually thoroughly enjoyed. It was the biggest and best set piece, I think. Sadly, the rest didn't hold up.\

Much like everyone else, I really liked Chris Evans in this one. He played a villain perfectly. I actually feel like the rest of the cast were good too, if a little generic. Gosling played the deadpan hero pretty well. 
Ana De Armas has really shown off her acting chops recently. I look forward to seeing her in Ballerina more and more.

The Grey Man is a fun way to waste two hours but it won't blow your mind.

• Like 2

CharlieParker
On 8/1/2022 at 10:30 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Was I entertained by this film? Yes. What is good? Not really.

You've summed up exactly how I felt about it. 

An incredibly hollow but fun experience.

Edited by CharlieParker
  • Like 1

After watching headshot and the night comes for us in quick succession I’m no going to watch this one because the fighting will be disappointing.

Not a fan of spy action/thrillers anyway, plus very bad ratings all over the internet.

• Like 1