Korean Martial Arts Movie Info and more...

J.J. Hayden

Frankie Poon Bin-chung 潘炳忠 (not to be confused with fellow martial arts actor/stuntman Frankie Poon Cheung 潘祥) born in Hong Kong in 1963, was an "official member of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team". He only featured in a few small roles in Hong Kong movies that the team worked on before he seemed to disappear from the industry. He's best known for his role in Project A Part II [1987], where he plays one on the pirate gang that hunt down Jackie Chan's character to get revenge for the previous film's events. He was also credited as one of the action director's on the movie, as were the entire team.

image.jpeg.30c553f246a2934847b9e3d6f1d85bc8.jpeg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

Chung Chi-yung 叢智勇, born in Hong Kong in 1969, was an "official member of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team". He only featured in a few small roles in Hong Kong movies that the team worked on and a several others in the early 90s before he seemed to disappear from the industry. He was also credited as one of the assistant action director's on the movie Project A Part II [1987], as were the entire team.

image.jpeg.c8f9179d780a4e7382515b0e091fca4c.jpeg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

Sorry, I forgot to give an update on this one too :P, so deep in research, so much put on hold.

I can confirm that this bts photo (kindly shared by @One Armed Boxer) is from 1989's Super Hong Kil-dong 3. Although the same Kwan-dao is used in Boy Wong Fei-hung [1993], Won Jin's hair was still shaven from filming Hero From Beyond The Boundary Of Time [1993].

image.jpeg.b34e336d0ebbca634e1c763bdc9cd5e7.jpeg

Although neither of Won Jin's characters use a Kwan-dao in the film, the main hero, Super Hong Kil-dong does. Won Jin does plenty of stunt doubling in this film and when it comes to doubling lead actor Kim Jeong-shik they make very little effort to cover it up :P When I get the time I'll upload some of the fights as it's at least 75% Won Jin doing the action, including..... a sequence with said Kwan-dao.

It's funny how people mistook Won Jin for Yuen Biao, as they share a lot in common: They seemed to double for everyone; They were awesome kickers; They were incredible acrobats; and they never became as big a star as they deserved.

• Like 3

Lee Jun-git 李俊傑, born in Hong Kong in 1965, was an "official member of the world famous Jackie Chan Stunt Team", who began his career on 1987's Project A Part II (1987), which he was credited as an action director, along with the entire team at that time. He worked on over 20 films, mostly in small roles or as a stuntman. One of his most prominent onscreen roles was as Pi San in Stage Door Johnny [1990].

image.jpeg.a0bb5e8558f737802caf1e9094102ca1.jpeg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

Born in Hong Kong in 1954, Paul Wong Kwan 王坤 was an "official member of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team". He started out as a stuntman and having a few small roles in movies by the famous Hong Kong studio Shaw Brothers, before joining the JC Stunt Team. He impressed JC enough with his skill and dedication to be designated team leader, a role he would for fill for many years until passing the torch to Nicky Li Chun-chi. He featured in over fifty movies and worked on many as an action director and stuntman (often doubling for Dick Wei) up until the early 90s, before he seemed to disappear from the industry, only re-appearing as an assistant fight choreographer on Ash is Purest White [2018]. One of his most prominent onscreen roles was as the owner of the Wai Yee martial arts school in The Young Master [1980] although, he doesn't actually do much fighting, for a fighting role fans might recognise him as one of the CIA hitmen from In The Line Of Duty 4 [1989] opposite Donnie Yen Ji-dan and Cynthia Khan.

image.jpeg.d0f24833f55cb7c2a7de72aec9255eff.jpeg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

Wan Fat 尹發, born 28th February 1951 in Hong Kong, was an "official member of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team". He featured in many films as a stuntman and small roles for the famous Hong Kong studio Shaw Brothers, before becoming a member of the JC Stunt Team. He's best known onscreen for his role in Crime Story [1993], where he played "Simon Ting", one of the main triads involved in the kidnapping plot. But he has also worked behind the scenes as an assistant director on many movies including: Stroke Of Death [1979]; Duel To The Death [1983]; and Drunken Master II [1994].

image.jpeg.3ae2fa6706f3d8388e7fab06b975de50.jpeg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Why are the JC stunt team alums in this thread? Am I missing something?

Probably.

This thread is where I post any of my new contributions. People might not necessarily come across the individual posts under other random threads, so I usually back them up here, I forgot to do so with a few of the JC stunt team, so I'm doing it now.

• Like 2

Wu Gang 伍剛 who was born on the 30th of June 1974 in Shanghai, was an "official member of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team". His hard work and dedication over many films with Jackie and the team led to him being selected as the next team leader, taking over the role from Nicky Chung-Chi Li in 2010. He only featured onscreen in a few Hong Kong movies, notably as "Hollow" in Zu Warriors [2001] (before joining the JC Stunt Team) and "White Tiger" in Rob-B-Hood [2006]. He's best known for his work behind the camera as a stunt performer and action director, including having the main action director credit for The Karate Kid [2010].

image.jpeg.9c302ad94fa828554bed840d7cbe4cfd.jpeg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

Born in Hong Kong, Pang Hiu-sang 彭曉生 was an "official member of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team". He only featured in a few small roles in Hong Kong movies that the team worked on before he seemed to disappear from the industry. He's best known for his role in Police Story [1985], where he plays one on the villain's henchmen. He was also credited as one of the assistant action director's on the movie Project A Part II [1987], as were the entire team.

image.jpeg.bdd2282879472bfbc49ea1e49a5ac5cb.jpeg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

Louis Keung Kwok-wah 姜國華, born in Hong Kong in 1965,  was an "official member of the  Jackie Chan Stunt Team", beginning his career on 1988's Police Story 2 [1988]. He has worked outside the group on various projects, mostly in small onscreen appearances and stunt work. He was quite adept at wire work and has received several credits for this role. One of his most notable onscreen roles is as Giant Lu in He-Man [2011].

image.jpeg.fe813111af1286007b0896cfc1246c32.jpeg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

Mars 火星, born Jiang Rong-fa 蔣榮發 on 28th of February 1954 in Shanghai (though some sources say Hong Kong) was an "official member of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team". As a child he was sent to learn Peking Opera at Madame Fan Fok-fa's "The Spring and Autumn Drama School", which was considered the rival school to Yu Jim-yuen's China Drama Academy, where the 7 Little Fortunes (Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Biao Yuen, etc.) were trained.

He began his film career early, appearing as the "Sand Demon" in 1966's The Monkey Goes West [1966]. As he got older he became a stuntman playing small fighting roles in many films, he worked together with Jackie Chan on films in 1971 the two became best friends, it was also around this time that the name "Mars" which became his stage name around 1971, was suggested by an action director, due to his nickname on stage being Martian Monster, although Jackie Chan claims that he got the name following medical complications when having head surgery, after which he acted like he was from another planet.

He became a member of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team and was regular player in Jackie's movies, but also had some prominent roles in many of Sammo Hung's movies too such as; Knockabout [1979] and Odd Couple [1979]. He was with the team for at least 20 years and as an actor appeared in over 120 movies. One of his most memorable onscreen appearances was as Jackie's co-star in Dragon Lord [1982] where the duo face off against Korean super-kicker Hwang In-shik.

image.jpeg.a87f9635df2875140d3902d52bcc81ba.jpeg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

Paco Yick Tin-hung 易天雄, born in Hong Kong in 1959, was an "official member of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team". He'd only featured in a few small roles and done stunt work in Hong Kong movies prior to joining the team. But he continued to work on other projects while still on the team and built up a career in stunt work, featuring in over 100 movies and eventually becoming one of Hong Kong's most sought after action directors. One of his most notable onscreen performances was as the evil pirate chief "Devil Cheung" in Once Upon a Time in China V [1994] opposite Vincent Zhao Wen-zhuo's "Wong Fei-hung", though it may be hard to recognize him under all the make-up.

image.jpeg.1921116d4bff8b467be44250aa561ca1.jpeg

• Like 3

Well, I haven't heard any counter arguments and I've looked over the footage a number of times, to the point where I'm confident that these 2 men in The Man, The Myth, The Legend (aka Bruce Lee - True Story) and the 2 men in The Big Boss are indeed the same actors. Still no idea what there names are, I wonder if being in the film made them into any kind of celebrities in Thailand at the time?

image.jpeg.d1d727236ddbd88b770ff9394ad3650c.jpeg

image.jpeg.9f3243a30158577f8cb3386a0d95dae1.jpeg

Secondly there is the guy who played one of the other Factory Manager' thugs, here playing a Thai Boxing gym coach.

image.jpeg.bed517d463bf23e5238f621e9761ee33.jpeg

image.jpeg.19028a0e4176f994938ddfdf1162e148.jpeg

• Like 3

Rocky Lai Keung-kun 黎強根, born on the 28th of October 1962 in Hong Kong, was an "official member of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team", joining in 1984. He was brought into stunt work by his older brother Benny Lai Keung-kuen after the loss of a job, he earned recognition by performing stunts that some of the younger stuntmen wouldn't do. He featured in over fifty movies in Hong Kong, mostly in small roles and stunt work. His bald head which (makes him easily recognizable) was the result of using a substance to change his hair colour for a role, afterwards it fell out and never grew back. One of his most prominent onscreen appearances was as the sadistic "Brother Yee" in the movie Body Weapon [1999], alongside fellow JC Stunt Team member Sam Wong Ming-sing.

image.png.e2af258888c40f006439a6b40f69a967.png

• Like 3

Lai Sing-kwong 賴勝光, born on the 27th of January 1961 in Hong Kong, was an "official member of the world famous Jackie Chan Stunt Team", first appearing in 1987's The Enchanting Night as one of the rascal gang that start a fight, he was technically an action director on the film as the credit went to the whole stunt team. He worked on over thirty movies mostly on the action team and some small roles. One of his more memorable roles was as one of the eunuch's in 1990's The Swordsman [1990].

image.jpeg.1ae219c81334f7392d039d7021e629da.jpeg

• Like 3

Tai Bo 太保 (birth name Cheung Ga-nin 張嘉年) was born on 21st of October 1950 in Hong Kong. Early in his career he featured as a stuntman and in a few small roles in Hong Kong movies before working with the world famous Jackie Chan Stunt Team on several projects. But he's better known as one of Hong Kong's top character actors appearing in over one hundred movies with some of the industries top stars including; Sammo Hung Kam-bo; Biao Yuen and David Chiang Da-wei. One of his most popular roles was in Corey Yuen's directorial debut Ninja in the Dragon's Den [1982], where he plays the comedic relief alongside Sanada Hiroyuki and Conan Lee Yuen-ba.

image.png.b4c544cdfe7e680b86d5868ae9bc9037.png

• Like 3

Mak Wai-cheung 麥偉章 (aka Monkey馬騮) began his career as a martial arts actor and stuntman at the famous Hong Kong film studio "Shaw Brothers". He was a protégé of veteran martial arts actor/director Liu Chia-liang, appearing in many of his greatest movies including the The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin series. In the mid 80s he would work with another great stunt team, the world famous Jackie Chan Stunt Team. Later he would go on to join YET ANOTHER of the great Hong Kong stunt teams, when he joined Donnie Yen's team. One of his most memorable onscreen roles was as the Monkey-style fighter in Donnie Yen's directorial debut Legend Of The Wolf [1997].

image.jpeg.877fe1e499176c13a5560c3e61fb0721.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

William Duen Wai-lun 段偉倫, born 1958, was a one of the real life bodyguards of Jackie Chan along with Jackie Chan Stunt Team member Ken Lo, a role he performed from 1988 to 2003. He worked on many films with Jackie Chan and his stunt team and even did a few stunts himself. He was known more as a character actor than a stuntman, often playing police officials, including controversially in the movie High Risk [1995], which mocked Jackie Chan. In the movie Gorgeous [1999] he and fellow Jackie Chan bodyguard, Ken Lo, parody their real selves by playing bodyguards to the films antagonist L. W. Lo, played by Emil Chow Wah-kin. It is believed that he was credited as an "official member of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team", but due to a rather public falling out with Jackie, his name has been removed .

image.jpeg.1cecb9e9e28fc5ac66a51f79e0a1b000.jpeg

• Like 3

Wang Yao 王耀, born 1950 in Taiwan, was one of the very first "official members of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team", he was there when it began in 1977. He did stunt work and featured in a few small roles in Hong Kong movies before working for the team, but continued to do so once he was a member, working on over eighty movies as an actor and many projects as an action director. One of his most recognizable roles was as "Ding Dong" in the movie The Leg Fighters [1980], he also had prominent roles alongside Jackie Chan in The Fearless Hyena [1979] and Fearless Hyena 2 [1983].

image.jpeg.53029368d4df8dc222e947e8bd7052c5.jpeg

• Like 3

Kwan Yung 关湧 started his film career as one of the many factory henchman in Dragons Forever [1988]. He featured in over fifty movies, mostly as a stuntman and in smaller roles including several projects with the world famous Jackie Chan Stunt Team. One of his most memorable roles was in Who Am I? [1998], as one of Morgan's hit-men, alongside Dutch super-kicker Ron Smoorenburg, where the two of them have a rooftop fight scene against Jackie Chan.

image.jpeg.d2744cca4fb79e5b58c4fa8647809af6.jpeg

• Like 3

This is the last mini-bio I uploaded to IMDB (except for Manja artist Nakazawa Keiji), but I do have a few more pics left that I uploaded there, I'll be finishing them soon, but that will be me done with IMDB for good. :D 

Angel Yu Hao-er 于浩儿, born 1979 in China, was an "official member of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team", she was the very first female member of the team. She worked on several Jackie Chan movies, notably Shanghai Knights [2003], The Medallion [2003] and Around the World In 80 Days [2004], solely as a stunt performer and stunt double for the female cast members, never making an onscreen appearance herself. After filming The Myth [2005] she seemed to disappear from the industry, as she has had no further credits.

image.jpeg.c066c10ea39c269b73582dfe0890d024.jpeg

• Like 4

image.jpeg.b578446ef219f5b883b652293a474d9c.jpeg

While finishing up transferring my IMDB mini bios, I checked in on the status of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team and discovered it's recently been updated, It's up to 100 now!!! So accordingly, I have updated the forum's JC Stunt Team page, please click the link to check it out.

Cheers.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

J.J. Hayden

Not sure if I've ever poster this vid in this thread, I've posted it in the "questions" thread but unfortunately the only lead seems to be a dead end. If anyone with knowledge on this is willing to help, that would be greatly appreciated.

I discovered this clip many years ago (not sure if it was on YT or a Korean site), it was titled VINDICTIVE VENOM PT 2  KIM WON JIN. I doubt this is accurate though, as the story of Vindictive Venom seemed to be all wrapped up. It could be another TV movie from Raven Chang (aka Seol Chi-guk), but everything about it is still a mystery.

• Like 2

J.J. Hayden

Another brand new Won Jin project, DMZ Daeseong-dong. It's a four episode mini-series for D'Live, that just began airing last night. As you might of guessed from the title, it involves the border North/South border. Apparently it's a comedy drama in which a North Korean soldier wins 52 Billion and defects to the South.

It's Directed by Im Chang-jae and stars: Kwon Hae-seong; Jeong Hye-in; Kim Ah-ra, and Lee Hwang-eui. Won Jin is the action director, but hopefully he'll be making another on screen appearance too, fingers crossed.

image.jpeg.818a05af8239b45d8ed5fc9837033cca.jpeg

image.jpeg.0eeb7aadd8835535ee67893cc6d10d5b.jpeg

• Like 3