Korean Martial Arts Movie Info and more...

J.J. Hayden

Next we have the project titled "Senior Bodyguard". Which Wang Ho (aka Casanova Wong) and Won Jin team up yet again, but this time with director Kim Hyung-jong and producer Kim Jong-ho, who happen to be the same duo presenting Kwon Seong-yeong's latest projects. Filming was finished in May and it is set to release this year (you're cutting it fine, guys). This is exciting, though I've not seen any signs that WJ will be appearing on camera this time (hopefully I'll be surprised).

image.jpeg.9d4bade3bff34c8e5233165754fcc29f.jpeg

Director Kim Hyung-jong and Wang Ho (aka Casanova Wong)

image.jpeg.f475e49e9d19578a14f4ceab817b82db.jpeg

Won Jin [mid] and rising star Bae Jae-hyeon [2nd right]

• Like 3

The last project  I have any hard evidence of is "Boy Kim Doo-han", which was due to begin filming way back on 26th May 2021, due to take about three months filming, finishing in July with an expected release in December. However, due to Korona-chan production kept getting bogged down and an article from October 2021 said that the film was still not finished (if they've shot anything at all).

The delays may have caused the project to run into scheduling conflicts as well, as young martial artist Bae Jae-hyeon who was to play the lead role of Kim Doo-han was performing in live theatrical productions of Les Misérables. He's done well for himself on this path and has been promoted to more important roles in the various shows and been presented with a special award.

He does however still hope to be a martial arts star and even through he's a growing boy, there's still a chance that the movie is still on the cards (rather than being scrapped) as he seems to be in continued contact with the film's crew. Let's hope this project sees completion and even better, the rise of a bright young action star.

image.jpeg.750cea415855786a5281bb492df9f82d.jpeg

Filmstar Bae Jae-hyeon [mid], Action Director Won Jin [3rd right], and Director Kwon Il-soo [2nd right]

Cheers

• Like 3

My Ken Lo mini bio for IMDB, certainly one of the best non-Korean kickers of all time.

Ken Lo Wai-kwong 盧惠光

image.jpeg.b3d4fd68a455f845506454289cb4235b.jpeg

Lo Wai-kwong (aka Ken Lo) was born on the 17th of March 1957 in Vientiane, Laos (though some accounts say Srung Treng, Cambodia). His father was from Hong Kong and his mother was from Laos. When he was 15 years old, he moved to Udon Thani, Thailand in 1975 due to the Cambodian civil war. He was a huge fan of Bruce Lee and was inspired to take up martial arts such as Muay Thai and Taekwondo. He won the freestyle fighting championship seven times. Five years after the move to Udon Thani, he departed for Hong Kong in 1980 and worked as a tour guide.

After being in Hong Kong for a few years he made his first onscreen appearance in 1985's Working Class (1985), where he played a kick-boxer. But 1986 was the most pivotal year in is career, as it was then, while working as head of security at a disco that he would meet Jackie Chan. Jackie brought him on as a member of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team and as one of his own personal bodyguards, a role he would continue for another 25 years. Ken proved to be an invaluable member of the team and appeared in many of Jackie's own movies in fighting roles.

But he also branched out, working for many different directors and stunt coordinators, staring in many films as a leading cast member and working on over 140 films altogether. One of his most famous roles was as "John", the main fighting villain in 1994's The Legend of Drunken Master (1994). After one of the other actor's sustained an injury, Ken was put forward to take over, showing of his superb kicking skills, including his famous 180 standing split. The final fight scene of Drunken Master II is widely considered one of the greatest of all time.

image.jpeg.674945851287ca563c1fc6b776283c07.jpeg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

My Paul Andreovski mini bio for IMDB

image.jpeg.97322a55431014dcae7901ae563c74b3.jpeg

Paul Andreovski was born on the 24th of February in1968 in Australia and began his martial arts training at the age of 8. He began his career in stunt work in 1996 when he auditioned for Jackie Chan, who had come to Melbourne, Australia to film Mr. Nice Guy (1997). Paul passed the audition and became the second non-Asian member of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team, alongside fellow Australian Bradley James Allan. Paul worked with the team on several movies as a stuntman and in small acting roles, he also worked as Jackie Chan's boxing coach, up until 2004 where he took a break, returning for 2010's The Spy Next Door (2010) where he doubled for lead villain Magnús Scheving. One of his most notable onscreen appearances was in the movie The Medallion (2003), where he plays a kidnapper disguised as a hospital worker.

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

Here we can see Paul Andreovski as one of the Policemen (1st right) in Shanghai Knights.

image.jpeg.18a0524ee8b9c284fa9f46bd63eddff7.jpeg

Then later he can be seen playing one of the guards, but due to the editing it's tricky to tell whether he's playing an actual character or just doubling, but given lots of close ups for some reason.

image.jpeg.2df6a709c5b58f202d4979a84c489093.jpeg

• Like 2

Similarly we see Brad Allan as one of the Policemen.

image.jpeg.a22c8c0ca922261327b58f899dd8ae7e.jpeg

Then later as a guard (or doubling one).

image.jpeg.2192c9f352212e6a9d2bbf405af4ccfe.jpeg

But Brad also plays one of the street thugs too.

image.jpeg.aa2bda7e17cdfba7dd93672a49616a09.jpeg

• Like 3

Here (1st left) is Paul Andreovski in Mr. Nice guy, filmed in his home country of Australia. This was the first film he and fellow Aussie, Brad Allan worked on with the Jackie Chan Stunt Team. Paul becoming the second no-Asian member of the team.

image.jpeg.d2c6354fe3734b7b83fe1b1664b76845.jpeg

Paul again.

image.jpeg.f589e3534ef8f1de2e4a9e842c251a1b.jpeg

• Like 3

Another name correction I came across for HKMDB, actually the KMDB makes a mess of this name too: Han Eung, HKMDB credits this to an actor and martial arts director for 10 Shaolin Disciples (1981). However these credits belong to Kim Yeong-il (aka Eagle Han), Han Eung is the Hangul translation of the Hanja (Chinese script) for his Chinese stage name of Han Ying.

image.jpeg.70d42dc53c22e6a9e0c4f4ca650c2c05.jpeg

• Like 4

I've discovered an interesting new show in Korea, called Super Action that started airing Sunday 27th November on TVN. It's a variety show where some of the top stunt teams in Korea compete to see who is truly the greatest when it comes to Korean stunt work.

image.jpeg.e7fbf71cefff733b8719f50006127ed6.jpeg

Several of the teams may be familiar to fans of Korean cinema such as: MongDol; Best; 9stunt; and Orthodox. Best in particular has had some recent notoriety for being the stunt team for the highly popular TV series Squid Game.

image.jpeg.09350d22d3c556cbd5f060b5b4e2f5e6.jpeg

Many of the stunt team members are talented martial artists and Asian cinema fans will also be interested in the inclusion of at least two of the judges: Jang Hyeok, who was the star of Korean fantasy action Volcano High; and Jackie Chan's main stunt double for twenty years, Lee In-seop.

image.jpeg.ec40adb62705b79790a5c8b0e70863b3.jpeg

image.jpeg.c3dc03244debddc241f8818568586189.jpeg

Looks to be a very interesting show.

Cheers

• Like 3

Adding this here too: just clearing up some confusion, there is a UK Dragon Lee DVD titled The Angry Dragon, this is in fact the film known in Korea as The Five Disciples. I also have a DVD of the same film titled Dragon Lee Vs. The Five Brothers. It is on the HKMDB site but the name The Angry Dragon is not listed to it and the main title they use is Fury Of Dragon.

The Angry Dragon DVD.jpg

• Like 5

Took a long time to nail this down, but it seems that the main driving force behind the elusive Ottugi Martial Arts Team was none other than Kim Baek-soo. He might be familiar to fans from the film Sea Gods And Ghosts (aka Son Of Third Dragon) where he worked alongside Lam Ching-ying, but he had most success as an action director, working mainly for Korea TV network KBS.

image.jpeg.d2ac05cdaafa43518f08ddc9c9fbe90b.jpeg

Seen here with regular collaborator (and unsung Korean star) Park Hui-jin.

image.jpeg.e425a8b667af2dfdef72be5649e51808.jpeg

Park and Kim team up with HK action icon Lam Ching-ying.

• Like 4

I visited Korea in 2006 and took pictures of some of the famous sites and temples there, some of which are used in the Chinese kung fu movies and in the Korean TV series Dae Jang Guem. (Jewel in the Palace) 

I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in seeing them. Maybe someone recognises these temples from the many hundreds of Kung fu flicks. I know a few of them from some of the Jackie Chan movies. But can't remember which ones. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in seeing them.

Sounds interesting to me, any info that can be gained on Korean movie and TV is a good thing.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, J.J. Hayden said:

Sounds interesting to me, any info that can be gained on Korean movie and TV is a good thing.

Ok then. Here goes. I didn't venture around every temple as there's alot to take in and also at that time I never knew the kung fu films i had on DVD were sometimes filmed in South Korea. I only watched the Korea tv series Jewel in the Palace, hence why I took the holiday there and to see some of the places where it was filmed. 

What about Korea? Someone mentioned North Korea and as I have no problems visiting a communist country, being told where to go by doing a tour is something I can't do. So Northern Korea has been off my list. But I've been to the South. 

Wonder if you would recognise some of these pictures from those early kung fu movies that were filmed there. Only visited Korea once, and nothing after 2019. 

Also visited the location where the Korean TV series Dae Jang Guem was filmed, aka Jewel in the Palace. 

You can instantly recognise where locations are in the earlier films. The temple walls for example are always built in the same style of brickwork.

IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_2070.JPG

IMG_1981.JPG

IMG_2050.JPG

IMG_2071.JPG

IMG_1975.JPG

IMG_1977.JPG

IMG_2073.JPG

IMG_2083.JPG

IMG_2056.JPG

IMG_2053.JPG

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2087.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_2063.JPG

IMG_2092.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG

IMG_2111.JPG

IMG_2117.JPG

IMG_2105.JPG

IMG_2110.JPG

IMG_2095.JPG

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2141.JPG

IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2137.JPG

IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2123.JPG

IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2151.JPG

IMG_2236.JPG

IMG_2165.JPG

STA_2167.JPG

IMG_2225.JPG

IMG_2161.JPG

IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2164.JPG

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2293.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

IMG_2294.JPG

IMG_2288.JPG

IMG_2312.JPG

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

4 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Wonder if you would recognise some of these pictures from those early kung fu movies that were filmed there.

It's all very pretty, I had planned to go to Korea one day, I reckon I'd have loved it. Some of the locations do look very familiar, I think I've seen Hwang Jeong-ri in a few of them maybe, but nothing off the top of my head, but my head's already at full capacity at the moment. I've got a bunch of stuff I'm working through, struggling to sort though about 30 tabs on my browser :P when I eventually have some time, I'll have a good look into it. If you spot any yourself in the meantime, please feel free to add some screen shots etc.

Cheers

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, J.J. Hayden said:

It's all very pretty, I had planned to go to Korea one day, I reckon I'd have loved it. Some of the locations do look very familiar, I think I've seen Hwang Jeong-ri in a few of them maybe, but nothing off the top of my head, but my head's already at full capacity at the moment. I've got a bunch of stuff I'm working through, struggling to sort though about 30 tabs on my browser :P when I eventually have some time, I'll have a good look into it. If you spot any yourself in the meantime, please feel free to add some screen shots etc.

Cheers

I'd have to go through my jackie chan movies again to try to match it up. 

• Like 2

Another quick correction for HKMDB as I'm working through some stuff:

Although they share the same name (Jo Seong-goo) these two Koreans are not the same person:

the first is a director

image.jpeg.534ec393177ac161733e765cf0c469ca.jpeg

and the second is an actor

image.jpeg.19cd80ad016c01ea216b6c9c4a3ef242.jpeg

• Like 3

I don't have time to repost it all here, but for those who haven't seen it, here's a link to my Jackie Chan Stunt Team "Official Members" list: 

• Like 2

BornToDefense

Don't know if this is the appropriate place to put this or not, but I found an essay on the KMDB site about The Trouble-Solving Broker, known more widely as Secret Executioners. Apparently it's something of a lost film in it's original state? I had to read this through google translate but it's got some interesting observations on the movie through the lens of Lee Doo-Yong's other work like The Last Witness.

https://www.kmdb.or.kr/story/126/2858

• Like 4