Korean Martial Arts Movie Info and more...

J.J. Hayden

Oops it's been a busy (but very productive!!!) week, forgot to put these up too :P Both from Dynamite Shaolin Heroes too: Kim Baek-soo and of course Park Hui-jin.

image.jpeg.c92ed1d4857ca73352e6b1bfdb0aeeaa.jpeg

image.jpeg.23cd5862e49042311ea43aafb056bf6a.jpeg

Cheers

• Like 3

Painted Faces [1988] some IDs

I only ended up doing this on a whim, a mate posted something about David Yeung (yes, Bolo's son) and I saw that this was (at the time) his only film appearance, so I decided to try and ID him. But I found on the HKMDB page I found that a few other people hadn't been ID'd yet, so I thought I'd take a bit of time to sort them out too.....it ended up taking the whole weekend :P

Firstly I had to create a new page for David Yeung Chi-kong as he'd been mixed up with another Yeung Chi-kong, which was a bit odd as the other didn't have any acting credits and all his films were between 1952-1960, so I'd have thought that'd have been a red flag, oh well, it's corrected now. As usual I added the basic data I could find, I also added a more recent photo of him, he's bulked up a fair bit, could even give his dad a run for his money.

I added a few character names that were missing: Teenage Ming; Child Ming; Teenage No. 8; Hsiao-hsien.

Most had already been ID'd in other films (even if only one), but got brand new ID's for: Chung Gam-yam; Cheung Man-lung; and of course, David Yeung. I also hadn't noticed that Wong Kim-wai had already been ID'd until I was half-way through so I kept the new pics anyway.

Chung Gam-yam

image.jpeg.583e57dbbc12fcb52210194e78f744b4.jpeg

Cheung Man-lung

image.jpeg.3b2f6b416f74590d74516e55a49ae2e5.jpeg

Wong Kim-wai

image.jpeg.d58003d0d75da42ee1240e3545898118.jpeg

Goo Fai

image.jpeg.7174f6d4f06b4b47d080428043101c2e.jpeg

Ricky Ho Pui-tung

image.jpeg.bdf43238163faca456ac11a43450c701.jpeg

Jue Yam-fai

image.jpeg.3f4a0631e3ea23c6cab6a000694f3343.jpeg

Patrick Yeung Chi-kong
image.jpeg.cc2857803f3a3e7fad2f297be7f38062.jpeg

Kenneth Smyth
image.jpeg.dd6539c378643dc5ba741af9b1c155d5.jpeg

Cheers

• Like 2

While going over some films, I spotted Choe Hwa-seop in a few more secondary roles. One of them I was already aware of but couldn't be sure it was him due to low quality as at the time there was another actor who's ID I couldn't been sure of, but now I'm happy to say that after a few years in the dark I've finally cracked the case on him and I can go ahead with my initial belief that it Choe Hwa-seop has 2 roles in 10 Disciples Of Shaolin.

Duel Of The Tough

image.jpeg.c57522a38b51e1b19d6ce15f3b6a6422.jpeg

Shaolin Drunken Monkey

image.jpeg.d5d85ab059cbd821876bafbc00484e7c.jpeg

10 Shaolin Disciples

image.jpeg.17a05893ad56b5da7560ea0ef890c8d2.jpeg

Cheers

• Like 2

Still going....:P

Crown Wood International Film Festival official selection Best Director (Short)

image.thumb.jpeg.71cf0124d9a0a973efe71d33a8fe39a8.jpeg

Official Selection 2023 Urban Action Showcase - International Action Film Festival As you can see below it's got a bit of competition, but if it wins it'll be up there with some of the greats. Apparently there'll be showing on the 11th of November in New York, wish I could be there.

image.jpeg.cd851307343c08b0a81433f7d56d1914.jpeg

image.jpeg.13bdfb02e203620d5ce17da56f25cabd.jpeg

image.jpeg.52602f942beafc2a02b936ef04b39a85.jpeg

Cheers

• Like 2

Kang Yong-gyu

I put aside some time to finish off my work on one of the more prominent name's of the classic Korean martial arts films, even though he's done a fair bit more than appears on the HKMDB. I will be able to do a mini bio on him at some point, as he had a decent career even beyond the 70s and 80s.

Unfortunately it seems that even on some of the films listed on the HKMDB, he only appears on the Korean prints of the movie, most of which I've not been able to track down, but I've listed these with the [Korean cut] credit. He already had a page with his name credited to: The Drunken Monk ;Fury In Shaolin Temple; Kwangdong Viper; and it had a black and white public photo, but no film IDs. But it's understandable when it come to The Drunken Monk as I couldn't see him either and I've checked the Hanja on the on screen credits and he's there, but I'm sure that there is some stuff cut from non-Korean prints so I've just given him the standard credit of [Korean cut].

There was another credit on the HKMDB, for Wild Panther, mistakenly credited as Kim Yong-gyu. But it's not the fault of the HKMDB editor, he's actually credited as that on the film's on screen credits, in Hangul no less, so it's the film-makers mistake.

I merged the Kim Yong-gyu page with the main page, which I also updated aliases DOB etc.

image.jpeg.65183b5cf2c7aecad1d0767d3de402a0.jpeg

image.jpeg.059476bed884eabbab6ac59a6ccbec62.jpeg

image.jpeg.4d04db7038c9f1e0a40a13958dfb9279.jpeg

image.jpeg.cea59bab25816fa0dd1c702a19b01078.jpeg

for more IDs please go to: https://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=82456&complete_credits=1&display_set=eng

Cheers

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 2

On 6/28/2023 at 7:26 AM, J.J. Hayden said:

I probably shouldn't have done this one at this time as it wasn't a priority and it actually took a lot long than I expected :P It didn't help that the film is a mess with actors changing all the time as well as some dodgy editing. I remember that being a problem with the film, but seeing it again now, I don't actually think the action is that good either.

Anyway, I'm talking about The Master from 1992, even though some sources say it was shot in 1989, Jerry Trimble insists it was in 1990, as that's when he moved to LA, either way it was shelved until 92, maybe because it's such a choppy mess, which is a shame as there's some real talent involved.

I recall Inside Kung Fu magazine reporting on THE MASTER being filmed in LA in 1988/89.  It implied Golden Harvest was making it for the US market, which might explain some of its clunkiness(though I enjoy the movie quite a bit).  Suspect it was shelved because Jet Li was considered box office poison in Hong Kong in 1990.  After ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA gave Jet a comeback, THE MASTER was deemed releasable.

• Like 2

Yet more...

Singapore International Short Film Festival winner Best Director For Short Film

SingaporeInternationalShortFilmFestivalwinnerBestDirectorForShortFilm-1.jpg.be31602d79a672f5b0c593cef90c3011.jpg

Dreamz Catcher International Film Festival [India] winner Best Actor

DreamzCatcherInternationalFilmFestivalIndiawinnerBestActor-1.jpg.b122c18897e68cfc2678203c0c3b70d6.jpg

Gives me hope for an Operation Scorpio 2  :D

Cheers

• Like 3

Another award presented to Won Jin for Jump Senior, this time it's Best Actor winner at Lulea International Film Festival Sweden

LuleaInternationalFilmFestivalSweden-winnerBestActor-1.jpg.cc7441cdff9808b8a59dc309eeae4d9b.jpg

But it seems it's not only WJ receiving due praise for his hard work. Fellow martial arts director/actor Ham Cheol-hoon who was Jump Senior's DOP has also been raking in the awards including: Rohip International Film Festival - Best Cinematography winner Jump Senior / Bharatha Desam International Film Festival India - Best Cinematography honorable mention award Jump Senior / FICOCC Five Continents International Film Festival Venezuela - special mention editing short film Jump Senior

HamCheol-hoon-RohipInternationalFilmFestival-BestCinematographywinnerJumpSenior.jpg.bf8309642b5b4e89297bba83c8d6e07a.jpg

HamCheol-hoon-BharathaDesamInternationalFilmFestivalIndia-BestCinematographyhonorablementionawardJumpSenior.jpg.24274a3db24c014703d32e0a11b761b7.jpg

HamCheol-hoon-FICOCCFiveContinentsInternationalFilmFestivalVenezuela-specialmentioneditingshortfilmJumpSenior.thumb.jpg.79c9aea0fc85fea01ec6de610013ebd6.jpg

Great to see these lads still working together after all these years.

• Like 2

I'm happy that Won Jin's doing so well, but damn I'm getting exhausted keeping track of them all :P

Birsamunda International Film Awards winner Best International Short Film

BirsamundaInternationalFilmAwardswinnerBestInternationalShortFilm-3.thumb.jpg.96baf776ef7b64092883891361d1ee33.jpg

Global Independent Film Festival winner 2nd Best Actor

Global Independent Film Festival winner 3rd Foreign Short Film

GlobalIndependentFilmFestivalwinner2ndBestActor-3.thumb.jpg.cc8448283b33613ba7c24c1dfb9be269.jpg

GlobalIndependentFilmFestivalwinner3rdForeignShortFilm-2.thumb.jpg.1ea5fe0f0c652c5a75bfef74f5f2efa7.jpg

This is likely to be my last post this year, busy with family stuff.....and more research of course :P 

So to all, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

Jinglegif.gif.81653ed6d2daab0ad6c7426976986ea5.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@J.J. Hayden, I learned so much about Korean martial arts actors from this thread. There isn't much info out there for the English speaker on the Internet so having this resource is a godsend. I know compiling all this info takes a lot of dedication & time on your behalf, so just wanted to say I really appreciate the effort you put into it for our mutual benefit. Thank you. :BL-Toast:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

4 hours ago, J.J. Hayden said:

So to all, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

Merry Christmas to you and your family and a Happy New 2024! 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

J.J. Hayden

New Year message

Happy New Year everyone, hope everyone had a great Xmas.

It was good for me, ups and downs, same as all years, but I did manage to slip away now and again to continue with the HKMDB work I'd been doing running up to Xmas. I had been (alongside other projects) trying to work my way through some of my older uploads: cleaning them up a bit; downsizing some, lightening some up; replacing some altogether and even managing to add a few new extras here and there.

Although I'm quite happy with the changes, I was hoping to be done with them by new year, but I ran out of time, especially because I kept getting distracted, either by Xmas stuff or some new discoveries along the way.

One such discovery was a very happy one, I found quite a few vids I thought for ages had been lost from my collection. But I found some buried deep inside folders within folders, I've got so many different files it's easy to get lost now and then. :P So plenty more to work with in time, but some featured people I've already done updates for, so there'll be more for a few of them on the way too.

It wasn't as great of a discovery as it may have been, as unfortunately I didn't find Magic Sword (aka Sword Of Evil Power), Yo-kwon Gwoi-kwon (aka Yoikwon Gwoi Kwon) and Woman's Martial Arts (aka Female Lover's Fist). The last one being most troublesome as I definitely had the whole film, I even took a bunch of screenshots from it but only as references rather than being great pics. It'd be great if anyone else had any of these?

I also got finished with several projects but quite a few got put on hold yet again, sometimes for the sake of my usual rabbit-holing, though I did get to the bottom of most, there were also some dead ends. But at the same time as all this I also had films on in the background and looking over when I could and I actually managed to spot even more familiar faces, some of these were (again) people I've already done “Korean Updates Project”s on (many being ones that I'd noted down as I wasn't over 90% sure on but seems my assumptions were correct :D ), so I've got those coming too.

Among the delays were of course the big cast IDs such as Thunderbolt and also some new bits to add to my already beefy cast IDs for Who Am I? And Mr. Nice Guy, but happily all are very nearly ready, I had planned to have them done by Xmas but it wasn't to be, but it will someday soon.

I've got so much nearly ready that I should have plenty to dish out over this year, hopefully it'll be as productive as last year, I was quite happy with what I did, I just wish I had time to do more.... speaking of which, I'd also been planning to play through Yakuza 5 over Xmas, I got though most of the second character's story.... that was nearly a month ago now :P So much to do, so little time.

Cheers

Tomas Tang Kaak-yan

TomasTang-int1.jpg.9dd4fe018d3045b1b68d048b03160e93.jpg

TomasTang-int4.jpg.51efb0e5e0bb8dcb420fa3952b911a61.jpg

TomasTang-TheDragonTheHero-2.jpg.e94aaad75ed7fba6f9b1074cfbe165b7.jpg

I was going to put something bigger as my first update when I got back, but the cast list for one film led to doing another and then another :P I prefer to do Ids for individuals rather than whole casts as it seems a lot faster and easier overall to me. But the quality of some of the footage I had to work with was so poor, I was taking screenshots of entire fight scenes and it made sense to use them to get all IDs at once, it just takes ages. So for now I'll upload these pics of Tomas Tang who's name at least should be familiar to fans of Korean martial arts, as many were released in one form or another under the Filmark label. But his face is no doubt less familiar as it seems he has rarely appeared in front of a camera. One of my DVDs had a rare interview with him and when researching him online, I found a French website that had some more details on him and also a pic of the very rare occasion where he actually cameoed in one of the films, fortunately it was in my collection so I tracked the scene down and got a screenshot.

I'm still working through those cast Ids, but I've got some smaller updates ready and maybe some of the larger ones too, but will have to play it by ear.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Love 1

J.J. Hayden

Just one for good old Lee Jin-yeong. Hadn't seen this film in a good long while so I can be forgiven for not noticing Lee Jin-yeong.....the weird make-up didn't help either :P 

Revenge Of Drunken Master [1982]

LeeJin-yeong-TheRevengeOfTheDrunkenMaster-3.jpg.7c9f85fa11126e6046a851cd9567f404.jpg

Cheers

• Like 2

J.J. Hayden

I won't bet any money on it but these might be the final awards, as I've seen the short trailer that now displays a bunch of them, but we'll just have to see. Either way it's been quite the journey!

HODU International Film Festival winner Best Director Short Film

HODUInternationalFilmFestivalwinnerBestDirectorShortFilm-2.jpg.c670a39e1858eaf605adb842f2e1b5ba.jpg

ROME International Movie Awards winner Best Director

ROME International Movie Awards winner Best Action

ROME International Movie Awards winner Best Actor

ROMEInternationalMovieAwardswinnerBestDirector-1.thumb.jpg.47b0dadb7c178c3970ad79fd73b12faf.jpg

ROMEInternationalMovieAwardswinnerBestAction-1.thumb.jpg.b369285b9c2e99bbfc84ac41bba9bcd9.jpg

ROMEInternationalMovieAwardswinnerBestActor-1.thumb.jpg.2947a37cbf7db0c82227005fade5d0c4.jpg

Congrats Won Jin!!!

ROMEInternationalMovieAwardstrophy-1.thumb.jpg.10099171eaaab87316ab9f4b6d23a755.jpg

Cheers

• Like 2

J.J. Hayden

Another little update, this time for Kwangdong Viper in which I spotted Choe Hwa-seop playing a third role. I'm not surprised by this, in fact I correctly assumed I'd find several of the main villains also playing members of the black clad mini army. I just hadn't forced myself to give try and get a good look at them, although it was difficult due to the poor quality, I did manage to spot a few of them and have plenty more updates for Kwangdong Viper on the way as I finally managed to ID the very last cast member (well, except one but there's nothing to work with  :( )

ChoeHwa-seoprole3-KwangdongViper-96425.jpg.96a41bc43d51e926d5745cddf09188ee.jpg

Cheers

• Like 2

J.J. Hayden

I finally managed to pull myself away from some of my bigger Korean projects to finally upload a few of my small updates all conveniently centred around the films Bruce Lee Siu-lung.

Robert Chan Law-bat in Hapkido

RobertChan-Hapkido-625.jpg.0adf74694f77b514ad85e794261fc140.jpg

RobertChan-Hapkido-10.jpg.b5ad19b2ec9f7e4a564ccb2049ad7e5d.jpg

It's curious how this one was missing from his filmography as it's arguably his biggest on screen role :P It's also funny that he's connected to another film I've got a small update for coming soon, Legend Of The Mountain, small world. I've added his credit and given him the name “Black Bear student”; and some pics and tagged him on Gaijin's pic too.

Chik Yiu-cheong in The Big Boss

ChikYiu-cheong-TheBigBoss-326.jpg.ff2f879080a1d0fce7ffa6c272448602.jpg

ChikYiu-cheong-TheBigBoss-509.jpg.cccf4ab092c5642b8ed5abc8ce9ef63d.jpg

Looks like I put this one on hold for too long and someone beat me to the punch :P I had figured it out thanks to the behind the scenes photos, especially the black and white one where he is credited as Ricky Chik and I put 2+2 together, I assume that's what the fellow editor did too? But I've added the 5 pics I took anyway as it's his only acting credit and there was only the one portrait of him tagged, although it wasn't set as a portrait for some reason, I guess they just forgot :P

Mao Lo in Fist Of Fury and Hapkido

MaoLo-FistOfFury-6.jpg.08d736b0baea58458ee821fbb21ea864.jpg

MaoLo-Hapkido-1150.jpg.3fed5888132d46c8acc3257679906376.jpg

This is an interesting one as it seems I wasn't the only one who wondered about this guy's name. It seems The Great Bey was puzzled by it so much that he actually asked Jackie Chan in person :) JC told him that the guy was in fact a real Japanese (unlike most of them :P ) but worked locally in film and TV using the Chinese name Mao Lo (at least that's what I believe he says anyway). I can only recall seeing him in Fist Of Fury and Hapkido but I'm sure he's popped up elsewhere. Is it possible he's the same person as Mao Lu (2)? I did look at that person's acting credits but only one film had pics and didn't see him. As for the info, I got it from Bey's HKL commentary on Fist Of Fury, but I think it's probably from the platinum version as I certainly don't remember it from my original version, which unfortunately doesn't play any more :( So a mate sent me an mp4 of Bey's commentary but it was different, so I assume it's from the platinum. I wonder if anyone else can add to this? For now I've created a new page under the name Mao Lo and added his credit to Hapkido and FOF and named him as “Japanese womaniser” and “Susuki's receptionist” respectively and added some pics and tagged Gaijin's pic too.

Another thing – shouldn't it be “Suzuki” rather than “Susuki”? Shall I correct the associated names?

That's it for now, I do have some more bits and pieces, but they'll have to wait for another time.

Cheers

• Like 2

J.J. Hayden

Great news.

The KMDB/KFA have released another rare Korean classic, the sequel to The Returned Single-Legged Man. It isn't too often they release any of the many martial arts films they have locked in their vault so it's a cause to celebrate. Even if you're not that interested, could you please give them some likes and or comments on their YT page, the more interest there is around these kinds of films, there more likely they are to release more in the future. Cheers :D 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Super Ninja

That is awesome, awesome news!!! 

Since the F, K, & K article came out, I've been eager to finally start watching me some taekwon-action films, and I was planning to start with Lee Doo-yong's filmography. Since not all of his films are available, I thought it'd at least be nice to get a chance to see The Returned Single-Legged Man sequel, no point in watching Manchurian Tiger and the original RSLM without it. This release is truly something to celebrate!

Thx for the heads up, I'll be sure to like and comment and let them know we need and want more! 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

DragonClaws
On 1/29/2024 at 6:46 AM, J.J. Hayden said:

The KMDB/KFA have released another rare Korean classic, the sequel to The Returned Single-Legged Man. It isn't too often they release any of the many martial arts films they have locked in their vault so it's a cause to celebrate. Even if you're not that interested, could you please give them some likes and or comments on their YT page, the more interest there is around these kinds of films, there more likely they are to release more in the future. Cheers :D 

Great news, and a great thread @J.J. Hayden, keep up the solid work.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

J.J. Hayden

Legend Of The Mountain [1979]

I had a couple of updates for this film based on the Korean side of things, that I came across while working on something bigger, since there wasn't that much for me to add, I decided to do the whole thing. So I added Korean some cast members; Korean title; Korean names for King Hu, Wong Cheuk-hon and the non-Korean cast (and their characters, where it differed); added some pics; and added a note that Park Yoon-gyo co-directed the Korean cut of the film.

Created new pages for three Korean actors: Kim Ji-won; Yoon Sang-ho; and Cha Soo-cheol. I added several pics of Kim (and I took some of Jeon Sook while I was at it), but when it came to the men I drew a blank. Although I spotted the ambassador characters I couldn't tell which was which, and the quality of the pics wasn't that good either, so I left them :oops: . Also I did have a good look, but I couldn't see Choe Il playing a farmer, my guess is that he only appears in the Korean cut, or maybe I just missed him?

I also added the Korean poster and several Korean production stills.

image.jpeg.adb5c49e383a2e7074f5fd93b4baff60.jpeg

image.jpeg.a53ca7c0ac7faf51477a251c97d9483d.jpeg

image.jpeg.da3e396e5fa0dd97a4965838a8f7c729.jpeg

image.jpeg.593bde67230fa09b70dc24892c67759a.jpeg

https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=6034&display_set=eng

Cheers

Cheers

• Like 2

J.J. Hayden

The Korean cuts of these Korea/HK and Korean/Taiwan crossovers are quite hard to come by these days, but I have tracked down at least a few clips from a couple the Korean cuts. A lot were released on VHS or on TV in Korea and we just have to hope Korean fans will share more at some point. Or even better, that the KMDB/KFA will release some of the ones they have in their vaults.

Here is one I could get a couple of decent shots of: 

Kim Ki-beom - Shaolin Vs. Lama [Kor cut]

image.jpeg.29359a8cf746e2ac2d8d7abad57c9c3b.jpeg

image.jpeg.c0b5c8770bc413830b304872bff9358f.jpeg

image.jpeg.81a79278cc8ae502a2188dfe80c42410.jpeg

Cheers

• Like 2

Super Ninja
1 hour ago, J.J. Hayden said:

The Korean cuts of these Korea/HK and Korean/Taiwan crossovers are quite hard to come by these days, but I have tracked down at least a few clips from a couple the Korean cuts. A lot were released on VHS or on TV in Korea and we just have to hope Korean fans will share more at some point. Or even better, that the KMDB/KFA will release some of the ones they have in their vaults.

Here is one I could get a couple of decent shots of: 

Kim Ki-beom - Shaolin Vs. Lama [Kor cut]

image.jpeg.29359a8cf746e2ac2d8d7abad57c9c3b.jpeg

image.jpeg.c0b5c8770bc413830b304872bff9358f.jpeg

image.jpeg.81a79278cc8ae502a2188dfe80c42410.jpeg

Cheers

In this particular case, have you managed to track down the Korean cut of Shaolin vs. Lama or just clips from it?

• Like 2

J.J. Hayden
11 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

In this particular case, have you managed to track down the Korean cut of Shaolin vs. Lama or just clips from it?

Just the trailer I'm afraid. If I lived on the mainland I might've tried to hunt down the VHS' from Korea, but it wouldn't be cost effective here, if they'd even send here at all, which most wouldn't. :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

J.J. Hayden

Still down some of the same rabbit holes from weeks (months?!) ago :P But making some great progress on many thing and even made time to do this quick update for Shaolin Drunk Fighter [1983]. Simply adding IDs for Kim Cheon-soo (also adding his name in Hangul) and Lee Kyung-woo. There other IDs I can do for it but they'll have to wait for another time.

https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=10907&complete_credits=1&display_set=eng

Kim Soo-cheon

image.jpeg.cda66077619655d5990991f7c96e2fe1.jpeg

Lee Kyung-woo

image.jpeg.434bd18c4f85f05a5a908db2151562d8.jpeg

Cheers

• Like 2