RRR (2022) Tollywood / S. S. Rajamouli - N. T. Rama Rao Jr. and Ram Charan

laagi

Anybody down for a 3 hour epic action movie courtesy of India? I haven't watched it myself and to be honest I'm always on the fence when it comes to Bollywood or Tollywood. Sorry not a big fan!?

But apparently this has garnered a lot of attention especially among the action aficionados! I mean the trailer looks bat shit crazy but I might be down for this... Anybody else? Available on Netflix now ;)

• Like 5

Yup! At the 2:14 mark is Ray Stevenson!!!! This looks insane!!! I gotta see this. Alison Doody (A View to a Kill, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) is also in the film. Raicho Vasilev, who played one of the main heavies in Jean-Claude Van Damme's In Hell, is one of the film's action directors. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

One Armed Boxer
On 5/21/2022 at 1:27 AM, laagi said:

Anybody down for a 3 hour epic action movie courtesy of India?

Despite much trepidation around Bollywood/Tollywood flicks - I've only ever got through 'Rocky Handsome' and 'The Man Who Feels No Pain', and didn't get much out of either - I refuse to resign myself to writing off a whole countries output as not being my thing, so I was definitely down for this one (spurred on, as you mention, by hugely positive word of mouth that even reached my ears!).

Well, after realising that I was less than a third of the way through it, I threw in the towel after an hour. I just couldn't do it. I confess it was interesting to see the British cast as the kind of snarling 1-dimensional villains that we're used to seeing the Japanese portrayed as in Chinese cinema (at one point a British officer commands one of his soldiers to not waste a British made bullet on "brown rubbish"!), but other than that this ticked all of the boxes which keep me turned off - super slow-motion being used in every action scene, too many slow motion shots of the two leads bare chested and yelling, gravity defying wire-work that's too cartoonish for my taste, and music which felt intrusive rather than integrated (I know I know - if I can't get over that last grievance, then perhaps Bollywood/Tollywood will never be my thing).

I'd in no way consider these comments a review, not least because I clocked out with more than 2 hours still to go, but I guess it's just to say this isn't the movie that'll change my mind on India's output, which I'd secretly hoped it would be after all of the rave reviews. For those that do watch it, my tipping point was the bridge rescue scene - watching the 2 leads run towards each other under water to shake hands, followed by the song that played over their 'friendship montage' had my finger quivering over the stop button, and soon after I caved in. 

PS There's a hilarious disclaimer at the start advising that no animals were hurt during filming, and that all of the animals in the movie were created with CGI, as if to say the filmmakers are so confident in the CGI that audiences wouldn't be able to tell them from the real thing. Trust me, you'll be able to tell they're CGI.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

BTW, @One Armed Boxer didn't you say you were done with Bolly-/Tollywood over at the Bhavesh Joshi Superhero thread!? 

Since you dared to watch RRR I implore you to give Bhavesh a chance. I promise you there's (almost) no dancing or singing and the action is pretty grounded. Call it a fair share I'll sit thru RRR and you watch Bhavesh. Deal? 

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, laagi said:

BTW, @One Armed Boxer didn't you say you were done with Bolly-/Tollywood over at the Bhavesh Joshi Superhero thread!? 

You're right, I did! Guess I should listen to my own advice more often. :tongueout Regarding 'Bhavesh Joshi Superhero', I'm making no promises! See you on the flip side of 3 hours @laagi, who knows, you may even convince me to go back and watch the remaining 2 I clocked out of!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I watched this the other night and really enjoyed it. I believe it to be my first film viewing of this kind. I am now looking for more. 

• Like 4

Saw it yesterday on Netflix UK. It kept my attention throughout despite its running time of 3hrs and 5mins. I actually enjoyed this more than the director previous blockbusters (Baahubali 1 and 2). Good example of Indian action along with high budget. 

• Like 4

Hey @One Armed Boxer I made it!

The movie features some of the most creatively insane stuff I've ever seen and I mean this as a compliment. I don't even wanna go into detail in order to prevent anyone with an open mind to give this at least a fair chance.

There's lots of stuff that's gonna make your head spin. Is there too much CGI? Yes. Is there too much slow-mo? Yes. Are there totally random dance and song numbers? Yes. Is the damn thing too long? Hell yes! But again I can not stress enough how much fun at the same time it is to watch.

It probably goes against everything I usually enjoy but there is an underlying passion and professionalism here that makes every Marvel movie pale in comparison.

And of course you get the nationalism and one dimensional villains that will even make your "hitler-moustache" wearing Jap blush.

Overall if you're down for a three hour epic full of the aforementioned for the better or worse give it a watch otherwise give the movie a wide berth.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 5

Indian revolutionary epic from the guy who did Bahubali. Like the former this is pure blockbuster spectacle with crazy action scenes and very likable characters. Maybe too much cgi again but when you have this much creativity it doesn’t ‘t really matter.

Lots of hand to hand combat, there are feats of strength like in the good old hercules films, extravagant dancing and singing. Spectacular!

• Like 4