Ride On (2022) - Jackie Chan

SamSeed

On 4/5/2023 at 11:32 AM, rdenn said:

got my ticket for this Friday looking forward to it 

Dude you gotta share the good or bad news! Seems like you're the only one so far to actually get a chance to watch this.

I need to know how Jackie fairs in his newest misadventure.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 1

I saw the movie in NY 2 Weeks ago, the movie delivered, a little long and sentimental (Father and Daughter relationship), but it was well made, funny, dramatic, many cameos...cool action scenes, many involving the horse....and Jackie got a chance to pay homage to "himself' and the life of retired stuntman, they also had a few nods to his earlier roles (dressing him in his Operation Condor, Drunken Master 2, New Police Story outfits with a few nods to his DM2 fight in the restaurant etc), these were done as Movie within a movie scenarios, but there were a few cool fight scenes with him protecting his horse and others, not  Misadventure at all.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

A chinese webrip with subs surfaced so i gave this new Jackie Chan movie a try and surprisingly it's not bad at all. Overly melodramatic and most certainly overlong, the story of retired kung fu stuntman JC and his beloved horse Red is quite engaging. Jackie looks quite well here in his limited action scenes. Movie could've done with 20 minutes lopped out though.

• Like 1

I saw this too and I honestly enjoyed this much more than any of those crap films he made in recent years like Vanguard, Bleeding Steel, Kung Fu Yoga, etc. As already mentioned, the pacing was a bit slow and the forced sentimentality & comedy was also a bit off at times but this is probably my second or third film that I actually enjoyed from JC in the last 10 years!

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 6/4/2023 at 6:20 PM, Yihetuan said:

I saw this too and I honestly enjoyed this much more than any of those crap films he made in recent years like Vanguard, Bleeding Steel, Kung Fu Yoga, etc. As already mentioned, the pacing was a bit slow and the forced sentimentality & comedy was also a bit off at times but this is probably my second or third film that I actually enjoyed from JC in the last 10 years!

The others being? The only one that springs to mind is 'The Foreigner' to be honest.

• Like 1

legendarycurry

This movie has two things keeping me from seeing it:

-My aversion and phobia towards horses

- The fact that it is a film with JC after the release of Shaolin AKA his "Mostly pure shit" era

Glad that the response has been good so far though

2 hours ago, legendarycurry said:

This movie has two things keeping me from seeing it:

-My aversion and phobia towards horses

- The fact that it is a film with JC after the release of Shaolin AKA his "Mostly pure shit" era

Glad that the response has been good so far though

Can't say that Chan had a mostly pure good era before Shaolin either. His string of good movies ended after the 1990s for me. From there, it was mostly crap, some decent and entertaining movies, and very few great movies (Shinjuku Incident, Big Little Soldier).

• Like 1

legendarycurry
26 minutes ago, DiP said:

Can't say that Chan had a mostly pure good era before Shaolin either. His string of good movies ended after the 1990s for me. From there, it was mostly crap, some decent and entertaining movies, and very few great movies (Shinjuku Incident, Big Little Soldier).

I agree, didn't mean to insinuate anything pre-Shaolin was mostly good. Just that most things after were shit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, laagi said:

The others being? The only one that springs to mind is 'The Foreigner' to be honest.

You heard it here first that Railroad Tigers will be seen as an underappreciated classic in another 10 years.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
11 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

You heard it here first that Railroad Tigers will be seen as an underappreciated classic in another 10 years.

At last, another ‘Railroad Tigers’ fan! While not perfect, I enjoyed this one far more than any of Chan’s other fare during his mid-late 2010’s era. Here’s my review written at the time of its release. 

• Like 2

Just now, One Armed Boxer said:

At last, another ‘Railroad Tigers’ fan! While not perfect, I enjoyed this one far more than any of Chan’s other fare during his mid-late 2010’s era. Here’s my review written at the time of its release. 

Nice review. Always knew you had good taste. :BL-Toast:

• Like 2

I always wanted to give Railroad Tigers a chance since it was directed by Ding Sheng, who gave Jackie his best movie to date back in 2010 with Little Big Soldier. However, the trailers as well as making ofs always make me turn the other cheek due to the heavily Pro-China-ish vibe. I'll try again after a while.

• Like 2

I enjoyed Railroad Tigers as well. One of my favorite parts was when Jackie and Jaycee were kidnapped and to distract the enemy, they start ribbing at each other. 

• Like 1

I thought this certainly had its moments which featured the special blend of action and comedy that made Jackie who he is today.

Probably my favorite scene of 'Ride On' was also the first one with Andy On (again I can't believe he never made it big). Had a good laugh and was immediately reminded why I fell in love with JC and his style of Kung Fu in the first place.

As for the rest there was bits and pieces which were also quite enjoyable. Unfortunately to me the entire story was so far fetched I've had a hard time to really connect to any of it. Not to mention that the entire sub-plot with his daughter (coincidence?) didn't nearly work as well as his relationship with his horse 'Red'.

This is really where the movie works best when JC and Red are together. Another issue I've had was that the further 'Ride On' progressed the more dramatic it became and at times really unnatural. The movie could've easily done with half the drama infused.

Also there is a underlying plot which is barely touched upon and that is the (former) life of the Kung Fu stuntmen.

I would've loved to see them dive more into this as it would've offered a far more compelling story. I mean we're talking about Jackie Chan here! Who if not him could've offered some of the best insight there is to what it means or meant to be a Kung Fu stuntman. Although I guess one could argue that our maned co-star Red is symbolic of the aforementioned.

Nevertheless for the most part I did enjoy 'Ride On'. For me it was a good movie unfortunately too heavy on drama and thin on story overall. Still if you want to see JC one last time this might just be your best bet for now!

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, laagi said:

@One Armed Boxer did I miss your review for this? I can't believe I beat you to it...

You didn't! What can I say, I'm working my way up to it....:tongueout

Appreciate reading your thoughts as always @laagi!

PandaPawPaw

I want to watch it but I just can't be arsed. That's how I feel with JC movies these days (actually for many years now).

One Armed Boxer
On 7/19/2023 at 6:42 AM, laagi said:

@One Armed Boxer did I miss your review for this?

I finally got around to this one, and while it's certainly not 'Kung Fu Yoga' or 'Vanguard', I'd also struggle to call it a good movie. Full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/ride-on-2023-review-jackie-chan-well-go-usa-trailer/

• Buddha Bless You 1

10 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I finally got around to this one, and while it's certainly not 'Kung Fu Yoga' or 'Vanguard', I'd also struggle to call it a good movie. Full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/ride-on-2023-review-jackie-chan-well-go-usa-trailer/

Still haven't got round to watching it. I just can't be arsed and having read your review, I don't think it will be anytime soon if ever.

• Haha 2

Am I the only one who'd love to see Chan in another dramatic role again? I'm obviously not talking about the sob-fest 'Ride On' turned out to be.

But two of my favorite Chan movies are 'Shinjuku Incident' and 'The Foreigner'. Dare I say from a pure acting point of view these are some of his best work to date.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, laagi said:

Am I the only one who'd love to see Chan in another dramatic role again? I'm obviously not talking about the sob-fest 'Ride On' turned out to be.

But two of my favorite Chan movies are 'Shinjuku Incident' and 'The Foreigner'. Dare I say from a pure acting point of view these are some of his best work to date.

That is something I've craved from Jackie ever since he did those movies. But Chan never learned anything from making them, and instead went back to making nonsense crap he has been synonymous with for the past 20 years.

If he no longer wants to challenge himself then I think he might as well continue with the junk, but at least have decent fight scenes in them. And he has delivered in that aspect.

• Like 2

I like JC in dramatic roles but find he over does the crying. It's like he's making up for all the years he never got to do serious roles and is willing to dehydrate himself.

• Haha 4

On 10/13/2023 at 6:34 PM, laagi said:

Am I the only one who'd love to see Chan in another dramatic role again?

Not me. I dont desire to see Jackie as a ‘serious actor’ in the sense of the foreigner as if thats supposed to garner some sort of ‘merit’.  Not why Im a Jackie fan. 

• Haha 1